Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-14, 04:01 AM  
Negin

Here's what Thigh Gaps Looked Like in 1945

Here's the article. The comments are great also.
As my friend pointed out, thigh gaps are for flamingos .

Old 07-30-14, 05:05 AM  
kiwichick

I have a thigh gap. I refuse to be ashamed of it! It's just the way I'm built.
Old 07-30-14, 05:46 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwichick View Post
You're right to not be ashamed of it. I think it's unhealthy to strive for it, however.
Old 07-30-14, 06:04 AM  
windyh
VF Supporter

Quote:
Me too. I didn't understand the flamingo comment.
Old 07-30-14, 06:33 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by windyh View Post
Me too. I didn't understand the flamingo comment.
I think the reference to flamingos is because they have spindly legs that are far apart, thus a "thigh gap".

I think it's wrong to disparage a certain body type in order to say that another look is okay.

Sure it's fine not to have a thigh gap. It's also fine to have one.
Old 07-30-14, 06:55 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
I think the reference to flamingos is because they have spindly legs that are far apart, thus a "thigh gap".

I think it's wrong to disparage a certain body type in order to say that another look is okay.

Sure it's fine not to have a thigh gap. It's also fine to have one.
Agreed.

The way these women are standing might also obscure a gap, if they even did have one. Most are standing with one leg slightly crossed over the other.

But I absolutely agree that the thigh gap is one of the most ridiculous 'beauty/thinness standards' I have ever heard of. If you have one, fine, but not having one does not mean you don't have an absolutely lovely, functional body! How many more ways can we think of to put ourselves in chains?? Psychologically, I mean.
Old 07-30-14, 07:10 AM  
andtckrtoo

I remember growing up, the "look" to strive for leg-wise was three triangles - at the ankles, below the knee and at the top.

I agree that no one should be disparaged for the way they are built, but I get the OPs point. I never saw the need to strive for thigh gap. And I think the women in the 1945 picture are gorgeous.
Old 07-30-14, 07:43 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
But I absolutely agree that the thigh gap is one of the most ridiculous 'beauty/thinness standards' I have ever heard of. If you have one, fine, but not having one does not mean you don't have an absolutely lovely, functional body! How many more ways can we think of to put ourselves in chains?? Psychologically, I mean.
This. I'm thinking back on the other ridiculous "standards" since I've been into fitness. In the 80s there was that side-of-hip dimple; I remember one of the fitness magazines (Shape? Self?) actually published exercises specifically to achieve just the dimple. Then there was the veins-prominent ripped-to-shreds look of Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2. Since then: thigh gaps, "hot dog legs" (the lying-down beach shot where your thighs should look slim and bronzed, like hot dogs), the "bikini bridge" (concave stomach plus protruding hip bones when you lie down in your bikini)...

It's just all so weird, these random fetishes that we women are supposed to adopt as some beauty ideal.
Old 07-30-14, 07:55 AM  
catcrazy

Quote:
Me too!
Old 07-30-14, 07:57 AM  
topfitmama

Beautiful women come in all shapes and sizes and there's more to beauty than the way one looks. A gap between the thighs seems like the silliest measurement of beauty to me, and just the thought that strangers might stare at my upper thighs to discern whether I'm beautiful enough is most disturbing. Look at my face. Heck, get to know me. Then decide if I'm beautiful or not.

OT, I know. Rant over.
Closed Thread

Tags
body image, fashion, peer pressure, self esteem, thigh gap