Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-17-14, 02:25 PM  
kristi

Need Help with Flexibility Gains

I'm in need so some major help from my fellow vidiots. I'm a somewhat flexible person. By that I mean I can do the splits and can touch the palm of my hands to the floor when bending over. LOL I really want to push my flexibility limits, but don't know how to go about doing so.

Here are the criteria I am looking for:

1. I want something I can practice every day during my lunch break. That means I need it to be around 30 minutes in length.

2. I'm not a yoga type of person, however if it will challenge me then I'm game for anything.

3. I want to try challenging stretches/poses too. I don't shy away from anything hard.

Any help is very much appreciated. I'm at a loss at where to even begin. Please suggest, DVDs, websites, youtube, etc.

Thanks!

Kristi
kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-14, 02:35 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I consider myself flexible enough, so I only ever stretch tight places like hipflexors. There have been too many studies recently showing flexibility can be harmful (it's like stretching out a ligament when you twist your ankle -- it's always injury prone from then on.) Especially for the spine, Stuart McGill warns against a flexibility program, which of course goes against what we see in a lot of DVD's and yoga. And stretching itself seems overrated in terms of enhancing performance and in terms of reducing pain from exercise.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...ype=blogs&_r=0
Old 07-17-14, 02:53 PM  
suzannaerin

Barbara Benagh's Yoga for Relaxation. Just poses so not the usual yoga workout. Doing the hip segment every day has made a HUGE difference in my overall flexibility and pretty much has eliminated my lower back pain. It's very gentle, easy to follow, and relaxing.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-14, 03:09 PM  
Pam

A goal for this year was to become more flexible in my hip & thigh area. Supposedly in our culture sitting in chairs and in cars so much of the time, inflexibility in this area is common. Also I believe because of my leg issues in the past (surgery has helped a lot) I am tight in this area.

For several years I have been very consistent with yoga, esp the ones other VFers have found helpful with hip tightness. I never saw any gains.

I now have been alternating Classical Stretch/Essentrics and Lastics. Even though it has been only a month, I can tell I have made great gains. In the past hiking down hills was difficult for me and I was slow, due to the tightness. No longer, almost skipping the downhill sections!
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-14, 03:55 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
Barbara Benagh's Yoga for Relaxation. Just poses so not the usual yoga workout. Doing the hip segment every day has made a HUGE difference in my overall flexibility and pretty much has eliminated my lower back pain. It's very gentle, easy to follow, and relaxing.
Do you mean her 'Yoga For Stress Relief' ??

Just wondering if I'm looking at the wrong thing.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-14, 05:21 PM  
Demeris

Classical stretch

I've also fallen in love with Teresa Tapp's Brain Body Floor workout. It has 3 separate sections ranging between 20 & 30 mins each. She works the core & hip area gently but effectively. I can say enough good things about this dvd.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 06:26 AM  
Eibhinn

Since you're already very flexible, likely most widely available stretch programs are not going to push your limits at all. Most of the stuff that might is going to be yoga (just since there's so much of it available).

I think Advanced Lastics, which Mary sells, is probably your best option to start with. Beyond that, I would suggest you look at websites specializing in providing supplies to dancers, and possibly martial artists or circus performers, to find a specialized stretching routines for people who are already very flexible. If you can do the splits and want to be more flexible, you're going to have to dig to find something pretty specialized. Your time limits may be an issue as well, since most people who are working up to contortionism/are serious dancers are often willing to spend a fair amount of time stretching each day.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 12:34 PM  
marmact

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristi View Post
I'm in need so some major help from my fellow vidiots. I'm a somewhat flexible person. By that I mean I can do the splits and can touch the palm of my hands to the floor when bending over. LOL I really want to push my flexibility limits, but don't know how to go about doing so.

Here are the criteria I am looking for:

1. I want something I can practice every day during my lunch break. That means I need it to be around 30 minutes in length.

2. I'm not a yoga type of person, however if it will challenge me then I'm game for anything.

3. I want to try challenging stretches/poses too. I don't shy away from anything hard.

Any help is very much appreciated. I'm at a loss at where to even begin. Please suggest, DVDs, websites, youtube, etc.

Thanks!

Kristi
I would call you a VERY flexible person indeed! I'm not really sure anything on the market is going to take you further. Maybe you should work with a gymnastics coach or a trainer who specializes? Maybe try Pilates or a yoga studio? Although I guess I'm not really sure why you'd need to be more flexible than you are, LOL. I haven't done a split since I was in 10th grade.

I will say that as a person who is not at ALL flexible, Ultimate Yogi has really helped me a lot.
Old 07-18-14, 09:13 PM  
kristi

Thank you so much for all replies! I knew I would get some great answers. I've seen Advanced Lastics and wondered if it might help me, funny that it was mentioned. I think I'll start there and see where it takes me.
kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 11:20 PM  
glowacki

The splits and touching the palms to the floor are very challenging stretches in themselves. What other poses/stretches are you interested in achieving?

I also recommend the Lastics dvds. I have the first one and the instruction is very, very good.
glowacki is offline   Reply With Quote