Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-12, 10:36 AM  
momofcha

Foam Rolling Recs?

I keep hearing more and more about this. I have a foam roller, but not sure what to do with it.

Thanks for your help!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 12:10 PM  
Rachael1216

I would love to know too! I've had my foam roller for about a year and it's just collecting dust in the corner....
Rachael1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 02:32 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Probably the best place to start is youtube clips -- there are a lot of stretches/rolling demonstrated there -- just search for foam rolling.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 02:44 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I am eyeing this workout from Mary:
http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/The-...DVD-p/2091.htm

I don't have a foam roller yet, but I think I want it.
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 03:05 PM  
naturallove

My favorite non-video resource on foam rolling is this pdf from Mike Robertson on self-myofacsical release:

There's also an article Mike Boyle wrote that may be very useful. I also found this video by Mike Boyle, but I can't vouch for it because I haven't tried it. Perhaps one of our VFers with KinecticFlix would be willing to try it out for you? ETA: I just noticed that one VFer says it's an instructional workout.

Youtube also has some great segments, including soem from Mike. In terms of videos, my favorites are:

Trudie Styler Dance Cardio (there's a nearly 30 minute segment that focuses a lot on the upper body, which will be perfect for using after you kettlebell workouts-- James!)

Fitness Fix (more geared to the lower body)

Keli Roberts also has another one that I wrote a review on awhile back. She doesn't do an IT band segment evenly on both sides (I totally missed that) so some people have dinged the workout. I still think it's a nice introduction to foam rolling.

Spinervals Flexible Warrior 5.0-Red Panda recommended this one. There are three practices on here: 1) Sun Salulations 2) Core Workout 3) Foam Rolling plus stretching. The 3rd workout isn't just a straight up foam rolling workout--you foam roll and then you stretch. I have only used the 3rd workout (in fact, I did part of it before Leah's upper body workout this morning). I think it's a good workout but I wish the foam rolling was chaptered separately from the stretching because sometimes I just want to do foam rolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
I am eyeing this workout from Mary:
http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/The-...DVD-p/2091.htm

I don't have a foam roller yet, but I think I want it.
Either this or the Spinervals foam roller workout is on my list to try tomorrow. I will report back! HTH!
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 10:19 PM  
carole r.

On Trudie Styler's Cardio Dance workout DVD, James D'Silva leads an excellent (IMO)FR workout, which I use often. I think it might even be available separately somewhere.
Old 01-26-12, 09:54 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Try Youtube clips. I found them very helpful. It was years ago that I first started, so I don't remember what clips I used. But, Amazon posted this link in another post and it looks good to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8caF1Keg2XU
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 11:03 PM  
andtckrtoo

Hmm - Tony in P90X2 says not to roll up and down, but to search for a spot and move slowly back and forth (or even just sit) on that spot until the knot releases.

I find that for my sciatic nerve I use very slow, very limited range of motion moves just where it hurts and that helps so much.
Old 01-27-12, 08:23 AM  
Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
Hmm - Tony in P90X2 says not to roll up and down, but to search for a spot and move slowly back and forth (or even just sit) on that spot until the knot releases.
That's how I learned foam rolling: roll up and down as you look for tender spots. Then you can "Seek and destroy" any trigger points just as you describe above. You're doing a thorough exam of your body.

By rolling up and down (for example, starting from the hip to above the knee, taking turns to get all four sides) you discover trigger points you didn't realize you had, or which you didn't have the day before!

Every day brings different demands on your muscles, and they respond differently. After I wear high heels, I really need to roll out the outside lower quadrants of my upper legs and my outer calves. Yesterday I needed more help with the hip flexors.

But whatever you do NEVER ROLL OUT YOUR KNEE CAP. That is bad, bad, bad and can hurt your knee. Stop before you hit your knee.
Amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-12, 10:32 AM  
elliebea

No just foam rolling, but for mobility in general this site is great:

http://www.mobilitywod.com/

I use a rumble roller a lot and really like it - it was very, very uncomfortable at first (i.e. painful), but I have gotten used to it and it has been great for me.

http://www.amazon.com/RumbleRoller-R.../dp/B004JBT2FU
elliebea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
denise beatty, foam roller, foam rolling, james d'silva, mike robertson, myofascial self-release, p90x2