Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-06, 02:13 PM  
Yogadad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo
There is a lot of functional fitness in gardening and it needs to be done over and over. Whenever someone comments that low weight high rep work is useless because they never use tht kind of strength I think about how many hours of the spring and summer I spend crouched on a slope inside of a large shrub with a 1/2 pound pair of pruners held over my head clipping out dead twigs. I can end up doing that for an hour or two at a time. Once I get in there I have an incentive to get it all done before I crawl out.

My solution for grass is to get rid of all of it.
No doubt about it. I find that you have to be in shape to do gardening and you can develop strength doing it. I don't think gardening can be a replacement for a fitness regimen though. There are many repetitive type movements and awkward position in something like gardening and I feel it's important to balance it with other fitness type activities (or even just a good Yoga program that moves one in a variety of ranges of motion). Even athletes have to do other types of training and not just their sports activity to keep their bodies in balance.

I will have to disagree with getting rid of the grass, at least in my situation. My kids play out there all the time. My son practices his football drills out there, and my daughter and he play soccer with their friends as well as other sports. So I'm a big advocate of having a large lawn

I personally love the way a lawn looks, especially if it's complemented with nice gardens. My wife is the gardener in the family though, I pretty much handle the lawn

Best,

Scott
Yogadad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yard max