Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-22, 09:45 AM  
Izzy

One other thing. My instructions were to mix with Gatorade (not red or purple). I cannot tolerate Gatorade and the instructions didn't give me options. So in the end I still had that "big jug" gag factor, mostly because of the Gatorade.
Old 07-15-22, 11:20 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
One other thing. My instructions were to mix with Gatorade (not red or purple). I cannot tolerate Gatorade and the instructions didn't give me options. So in the end I still had that "big jug" gag factor, mostly because of the Gatorade.
Oh that's too bad. You definitely don't have to mix with Gatorade- that's just recommended for the electrolytes. I used Crystal Light lemonade but you can also use 7-up or any other clear liquid that is yellow/green.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-22, 11:37 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Ha Ha I'm going to find out in a few weeks. The APRN promised me it's way better. It's not a big jug to drink, she promised it's two small ones. I haven't opened the prep kit yet but it appears that the two whatever they ares in there are not much smaller than two halves of the giant jug. I sure hope the jugs are for mixing up Miralax which has no taste.

Ugh. Roll eyes!

PS If your doctor insists on the old fashioned prep - pineapple flavor was recommended to me and while it wasn't delicious, it was tolerable.
64 oz of sport drink (he had a choice of Gatorade or Propel) is equivalent to 4, 16.9 oz bottles. we happened to have a pitcher-like container with the oz markings.

DH said Miralax is taste-free. the reason we used Propel is because we had some at home already. he said he didn't like the taste of Propel, so I might use what people suggested when it's my turn - Crystal Light. I like that.

We did our supply run at Walmart - they have generic equivalents of Miralax, so we snatched it up. the little bottle of powder is exactly 8.3 oz as listed on the doctor's instructions. but the bottle is not big enough to hold 64 oz of liquid, so we used what we had at home. when i did mine 9 yrs ago, the pharmacist gave me a large jug and the powder on the side. since then, they've become more conscious of plastic waste, so using our own jug at home made more sense.

Walmart was totally out of the 8-pill boxes of Dulcolax (no generic equivalent when we shopped), but they had a 25 pill version. what we would do with 22 extra pills of Dulcolax, I don't know, but it expires in 2 years, so I told DH we'll have a supply for me next year. he said the Dulcolax works like a charm - boom! LOL. the pills are so tiny! DH joked it would be a good revenge weapon - slip a few in your target's coffee.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
The only thing was when I went to get the prep everything was sold out. Apparently Covid delayed a lot of these procedures and they were catching up. I had to go to two more places to get my prep stuff. And that day, my doctor did 17 colonoscopies. One after the other.
Funny you should mention this - i was wondering about that too because we went to the Jello aisle (the ready-made Jello in little cups) and they were out of lemon. they had a small supply of lime, and tons of red. i grabbed one of the lime ones - it's Jello brand and doesn't have high fructose corn syrup in it.

so i went to the baking aisle to look for Jello mixes. Lots of lemon, so i grabbed 3 boxes. when i got home, i was delighted to see that i had actually bought 2 lemon and 1 pineapple. I made a batch of the pineapple.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-22, 02:05 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Because I have Kidney issues, I had to get a special mixture from the pharmacy. I don't remember the taste being that bad, but I did have to move into the bathroom with a book. I do recommend getting the clear meal replacement drinks such as Ensure Clear so you get some nutrition. I also used light colored popsicles so I had something to chew on.
Old 07-15-22, 02:11 PM  
Erica H.

[QUOTE=bzar;2971246 he said he didn't like the taste of Propel, so I might use what people suggested when it's my turn - Crystal Light. I like that.

.[/QUOTE]

I can't stand Propel or Gatorade but like PowerAde. I used Crystal Lite for all of my preps (and I've had many) but PowerAde is good for the electrolytes.

Erica
Old 07-15-22, 08:00 PM  
bfit

I am the OP who started this thread a few months ago. Unfortunately, my experience with the new prep was not so great. It didn't work initially so I called the doctor's office, and they told me to go out to the drugstore and get something else to drink too. I did that, and it worked, but I was up all night and had to sleep (or try to sleep) on the bathroom floor. Then went I got there for the procedure they said my preparation was "satisfactory" but not "excellent". With the old prep I had "excellent" results.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-22, 08:53 PM  
joanna33

I had 2 ducolax and a 10 oz bottle of mg citrate at 4 pm and another round of the same at 10 pm….even though it was only 20 oz, I was soooo nauseous. I sniffed rubbing alcohol to improve nausea. It’s an old nursing trick that actually been studied. Keep that in mind next time. No vomiting for me and thank God I’m on the 10 yr plan
Old 07-16-22, 12:43 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
. Unfortunately, my experience with the new prep was not so great. It didn't work initially so I called the doctor's office, and they told me to go out to the drugstore and get something else to drink too. I did that, and it worked, but I was up all night and had to sleep (or try to sleep) on the bathroom floor. Then went I got there for the procedure they said my preparation was "satisfactory" but not "excellent". With the old prep I had "excellent" results.
My GI doctor felt that prep didn't provide enough fluids and he didn't like it. For me, no preps worked because my intestines were twisted so I don't know but I know many many people use that method and it is fine for them. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna33 View Post
I had 2 ducolax and a 10 oz bottle of mg citrate at 4 pm and another round of the same at 10 pm….even though it was only 20 oz, I was soooo nauseous. I sniffed rubbing alcohol to improve nausea. It’s an old nursing trick that actually been studied. Keep that in mind next time. No vomiting for me and thank God I’m on the 10 yr plan
Ugh - the mg citrate is awful. I can't get that stuff down ever. I'd rather drink the gallon of prep with something tasteless than the 10 oz bottle of citrate. Thanks for the tip on the rubbing alchohol.

Erica
Old 08-24-22, 08:48 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Refreshing thread ... if colonoscopy talk can be considered "refreshing" ...

I'm doing the clear liquids today. Apple and white grape juices were recommended, but my first cup of apple juice tore my stomach to shreds. I had no idea it was so acidic. (I never drink juices outside of those made at the organic juice bar.) I'm guessing white grape juice will be just as caustic.

I'm glad for this discussion. I have the SupPrep kit and have heard the liquid that you mix with 16 oz. of water is even more horrible than GoLightly, and causes nausea. I'll pick up some Dramamine tonight.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-22, 01:02 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Refreshing thread ... if colonoscopy talk can be considered "refreshing" ...

I'm doing the clear liquids today. Apple and white grape juices were recommended, but my first cup of apple juice tore my stomach to shreds. I had no idea it was so acidic. (I never drink juices outside of those made at the organic juice bar.) I'm guessing white grape juice will be just as caustic.

I'm glad for this discussion. I have the SupPrep kit and have heard the liquid that you mix with 16 oz. of water is even more horrible than GoLightly, and causes nausea. I'll pick up some Dramamine tonight.
I cannot stomach apple juice anymore either and I am not sure why. I think the sweeter the "prep" the harder it is to tolerate it.

I hope everything goes well. Pardon the pun.

Mary

Tags
colonoscopy, colonoscopy prep