Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-22, 11:53 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Hi everyone, maybe you can give me some advice. Our oil tank is corroded and we're in the process of clearing a path so the guys can come in for the replacement.

Long story short, my husband is a "hoarder light." The basement is his lair. When I was clearing stuff from my corner for the dump, I discovered black mold running up the corner walls. I peeped behind things he had leaning up against other walls and there's a lot.

Have you had mold remediation done in your house? Did you tackle it DIY or hire a professional team? What does it entail?

Thanks!!!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-22, 12:15 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Have you had mold remediation done in your house? Did you tackle it DIY or hire a professional team? What does it entail? ...
Pat, I'm no help, but you might consider asking on the GD to get more replies. It is not O/T if it is possibly affecting you health!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-22, 12:34 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Hi everyone, maybe you can give me some advice. Our oil tank is corroded and we're in the process of clearing a path so the guys can come in for the replacement.

Long story short, my husband is a "hoarder light." The basement is his lair. When I was clearing stuff from my corner for the dump, I discovered black mold running up the corner walls. I peeped behind things he had leaning up against other walls and there's a lot.

Have you had mold remediation done in your house? Did you tackle it DIY or hire a professional team? What does it entail?

Thanks!!!
ServiceMaster if you have them in your area. The house next to me is a rental with two units. The guy in the lower unit apparently was using one of his rooms to grow marijuana. In the 4 years he was there he never opened the windows to this room. When he was evicted (4 years too late in my opinion) they found mold all over the walls, floors, ceiling, wood work etc. This house was built in 1865 and the wood work was stunning. The floors were ruined. The landlord called ServiceMaster and they were able to get all the mold out of the walls, ceiling and molding. Then the walls were sanded and repainted. The floors were ruined but they got the mold out of the floors but another company had to refinish the floors.
Old 06-12-22, 10:51 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thank you both!
Old 06-13-22, 02:01 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

My friend came and picked up an old feeder (like goat/sheep/horse) that I don't need anymore. We also dealt with a pile of recycling that we left in the barn during the last clean up (years ago) - moral of that story, DH will not remember he said he'd deal with stuff like that.

I'm getting horses winter blankets washed and put away. Not exactly clutter but a big chore.

My big decluttering win was I found the COBOL compiler I used for my dissertation in the closet - I guess I kept it just in case. Put that on ebay and got $70. I might have left some $ on the table but it's out of here and I got some $.

Pat58 we haven't needed intense mold remediation but when we thought we might need to, our family physician strongly recommended professionals with expertise with mold remediation to ensure it's done correctly.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-22, 09:19 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thank you Event Mom.
Old 07-02-22, 11:22 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I have been re-visiting the FlyLady method. I like the idea of themes for the day, week and month. I'm not so much for strict morning, afternoon and evening routines.

I did some of her "Zone 1" chores today and now the front door area looks nicer now. I need to go through the coat closet.

I have been trying to toss, shred or organize several things a day.

How are things going for everyone?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-22, 12:31 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

I've talked about thred up - my bag that just finished sold all but a few items, around $60 in sales to me. That's much more than I've been getting. I have one bag that got processed this week and 5 items have sold. One more box is sitting there - so my big decluttering has been clothes to thred up, thrift stores and around 10 items that sold on ebay. Ebay's been not great - unless you want to sell things for $10-$15 per item (stuff that retails for > $100) and ebay is too much work for $10-$15.

shipped a box to our adoption agency with chinese things they might be able to sell/use at the heritage camps. have some books to donate when we get to Taos.

finding things a bit frustrating - it seems like the more I declutter and get rid of stuff the more stuff I find, or notice I guess is what is happening! But I guess that's the joy of living in a house for 23 years. Glad to have somewhere to check in and note that I am actually making progress.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-22, 01:20 PM  
DCW

DD is helping us out. We are tackling our kitchen. The odd mugs and assortment of free water bottles are out the door. We are working on having the essentials not an extra just in case.

We dont cook or eat the same 30 years later so our kitchen needs to reflect it too. Casserole dishes gone. Multiple mixing bowls and other items poof!

It's good to see space in our cupboards.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-22, 12:17 PM  
Vantreesta

Alta, thanks for mentioning FlyLady. I downloaded the app and will see if it helps! I need all the cleaning and organizing hacks I can get!

I've been working on clothes organization still, little by little. The big sack of clothes I already have will go to the thrift store next time we're in that area. I always donate to the one I shop at. I don't think I will have time to add to it before we go. I have also found some mugs and a platter/tin set that I think I can part with. The set was a wedding gift but I don't think I've used it in a decade or more and honestly can't remember who gave it to us anyway. So I'm still reluctant but pretty sure I won't miss it and it frees up cabinet space.

My biggest project has been organizing my workouts and the spreadsheet and index cards for it. It has been monumental! I am nearly finished with physically putting away the DVDs and VHS but the last bit has me stuck trying to figure out how I want it. I probably just need to pick a way and do it. Ultimately it really doesn't matter and only affects me. I have a little more housekeeping to do with the cards and spreadsheet and then I need to tackle finding new homes for the duplicates.

I got a lot of my grandma's yarn and crochet thread when we cleaned out her house. I finally decided I don't have the patience for the thread (she made a lot of doilies and also made Christmas ornaments) so my aunt said she will take it. I kept just a little. I also have quart size Mason jars for making those recipe gift jar things (drawing a blank on what they're called) but I don't see me doing any more of those anytime soon so I'm giving her those too.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
declutter, decluttering, downsizing, organizing, organizing the home, relocating