Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-16, 04:37 PM  
dls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I'm 58 and haven't done hard core workouts in years. I want to live to workout another day. I only do what I enjoy and what feels good.
Exactly+1

Deb
dls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-16, 08:34 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

Former intensity junkie here is an old-time VFer getting old... I've really felt it in the past couple of years, just the inability to handle (or want to handle?) longer, intense workouts. Thirty minutes of intensity is enough for me, or a long walk. And I'm having feet issues. I always someday it was going to be lot of low impact, heavy weights, and yoga, and those days are approaching...

Donna H
Old 07-19-16, 07:37 AM  
Breezy Trousers

Approaching mid-fifties here .... I've switched from intense to comfy, intermediate workouts. I'm dealing with hormonal stuff (which caused a 10-lb. weight gain in less than 21 days) and it took 9 months to heal from an injury, so fast-paced, advanced workouts lost their appeal this year.

I feel fine, though, and can definitely see the possibility of shifting back after "the metabolic dust settles" .... so I'm keeping my advanced/high intensity workouts!
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-16, 02:58 PM  
desderata

I'm 56. Until last November I was still doing high impact, high intensity workouts. Then I injured my knee and had my second knee surgery in 8 years. I ignored a growing discomfort in my knee until it became actively injured. I knew better, so I don't know why I was so dumb.

Anyway, no more high impact for me. I do the same weight workouts but instead of high impact cardio I do more metabolic workouts with light weights, kettlebells and Cathe's low impact cardio. I can do plyometrics - they don't bother me at all. The intensity of my workouts has gone down slightly, but I can still get a really good sweat going with the kettlebells and metabolic workouts.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-16, 03:12 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I just turned 52. I don't do the high impact and step that I did in my younger days. I still do Firm's for strength (modified), but I don't use their cardio a lot anymore. I now prefer bouncing on my Bellicon, Leslie and some Jessica Smith for cardio these days. I am also trying CS again. So far, so good!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-16, 03:36 PM  
videofit

I heard that as we age it's not our muscles that are the problem but the cartilage and ligaments which aren't as moist and stretchy or resilient... something like that. I always err on the side of caution because I hate taking more than two days off from working out. My mood depends on exercise.

Tags
40's and over, aging, extreme workouts, getting older, hardcore