Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-14, 02:46 PM  
Pascal

Question For Those Who Play Their Own WO Music

-Do you wear an iPod?

-Do you have specific playlists for specific workout types (cardio, weights, kickbox, etc)?

-Do you make playlists of your favorite as-produced songs?

-Do you download/purchase your favorite songs reproduced with higher BPMs?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've come to realize that the workouts I own but don't do have one thing in common - I either can't or don't want to hear the music!!! But I've never played my own music during a workout and am wondering how you smart VFers go about that. Thanks!!
Old 07-30-14, 10:09 PM  
sunnyside

I almost always play my own music. I use Bluetooth speakers. I have used a Jam Box for a few years and just recently bought a Stanmore. I use my ipod/iPhone/ipad (don't wear) and turn on Bluetooth and connect to Pandora or Spotify. Both are excellent and have play lists for different types of exercise. You can also just type in a favorite artist or song and the playlists will play similar music accordingly. You can also use your ipod/iPhone/ipad and use your downloaded music and playlists. I'm sure many other sources of music are available, but those have satisfied me for now and I haven't felt a need to create my own playlists.

Seriously, playing your own music in the genre you really enjoy is a game changer in working out at home.

Jambox (this is small and easy to move from room to room) http://www.amazon.com/Jawbone-JAMBOX...ywords=Jam+box

Marshall Stanmore ( this is awesome and loud!) http://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Stanm.../dp/B00GI26GPC
Old 07-30-14, 11:37 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

There are a few workouts I always play music for, and I always play my own music for stretching. I usually have a particular album or artist playlist I use. Then when I get sick of that album or artist playlist, I move on to the next. I do have one "workout" playlist with favorite energizing songs that I keep adding to, but I actually listen to that more often while I'm driving.

I sometimes use itunes radio for stretching music, but it's never worked out well for other workouts. I may be too picky.

I use a ipod speaker dock I love but which is apparently now discontinued.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-14, 08:44 AM  
Chomper

I also use an ipod speaker dock. My workout room has a cd player with an ipod dock. I just recently got a little bose speaker with bluetooth that is awesome too.

I like to make playlists, so I have a lot of workout playlists on my ipod.

Recently, I have started using Spotify as well. There is a free account option, so check it out! You can make your own playlists on it, but you can also browse other people's playlists. Go to Browse, and there are genres and moods to choose from. There is Pop, Party, Workout, Rock, etc.

I tried to do some specific BPM playlists (I hate the music on Cathe's Low Impact Challenge with a passion and you can't do step without the right BPM), and didn't have much luck. I was trying to count the bpm myself, though. I just checked spotify, and it looks like some songs are tagged with bpm, so I might try it again.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-14, 11:43 AM  
Cafelattee

not nearly as high tech I just play favorite cd's or radio station LOL. I also still use a 1988 onyo receiver with high watt old time speakers (replaced a few years ago hard to find) . I know you ipod ear bud folks think its antiquated but my son's friends think the music sound awesome. I'll catch a bunch of college kids with my old cd/s and stereo learning how to crank up the music the right way (ha ha)
They love the big sub woofer base sound.

I do have modern stuff but just prefer the whole room big bass sound thumping screaming nirvana, acdc etc when I'm working out.

Oh and I listen to newer music when I do Studio sweat they are downloaded on my computer that I hook up to the same old receiver. The music is thumping and just really makes me workout harder
Cafelattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-14, 01:54 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

This year I have been listening to the streaming station from this haircut place near us (of all businesses!) Especially when I hoopdance. It's a variety of different styles of music that you don't always hear on the radio. You have to put up with occasional, but not-irritating, short ads from the salon, mostly shout outs from one employee to another. By now I know the names of most of the employees at the LaGrange location (rock on, guys!), but that's only because I've listened to it a lot. I use wireless, Bluetooth headphones so nothing gets in the way of the hoop.

http://www.floydsbarbershop.com/pages/41-music.aspx

By the way, if you have Amazon Prime, I think they have their own Spotify/Pandora/kind of deal now, but I haven't played with it yet.
Old 07-31-14, 02:08 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post

I tried to do some specific BPM playlists (I hate the music on Cathe's Low Impact Challenge with a passion and you can't do step without the right BPM), and didn't have much luck. I was trying to count the bpm myself, though. I just checked spotify, and it looks like some songs are tagged with bpm, so I might try it again.
If you ever figure out the BPM, please let me know because that's the only cathe step workout I can't do because the music is so insipid.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-14, 02:13 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Also, I remembered seeing this groupon for Fit Radio. Nothing I've tried before (I'm too cheap) but it looks like the reviews are good.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/fit-radio-6
Old 07-31-14, 03:59 PM  
NotThatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
-Do you wear an iPod?

-Do you have specific playlists for specific workout types (cardio, weights, kickbox, etc)?

-Do you make playlists of your favorite as-produced songs?

-Do you download/purchase your favorite songs reproduced with higher BPMs?
When it's early in the morning or late at night I use my iPhone and ear buds but most of the time I use my Jambox and run Spotify from my iPad. I make two different kinds of playlist on there for my workouts. One is more relaxing and "chill" for stretching/cool down/yoga routine (not from a dvd, I like Kathryn Budig's Big Book of Yoga or Tara Stile's books). Usually it's something mellow from Fleet Floxes, Bon Iver, The Shins, Lumineers, etc.

The other is more high energy but nothing crazy (Lorde, Bastille, Chromeo, Coldplay, Ellie Goulding etc.) for Tracy Anderson floor work and cardio.

I occasionally will include a remix of one of those songs (specifically some remixes of Ellie Goulding and Lana Del Rey) but I don't ever use the songs that are higher BPM.

There are ads that are usually 15-30 seconds on Spotify that I am not crazy about but it's free and they have a huge library (if you pay for the upgrade you don't have them anymore). I prefer the newest music offering from Amazon because it's totally ad free but they don't quite have the selection of songs I'm looking for yet.

Spotify also has a great selection of playlists other users have already put together under the "Workout" category. These include playlists for HIIT, Power Walk, Yoga, Running...it goes on.

The last and only other complaint I have with the free version of Spotify is that if you use it on your phone it doesn't always let you skip songs. I can skip anytime I want when I use my iPad which is why I do that 99% of the time.

Sorry this is so long, but this is what has worked the best for me. It is much easier for me to get through workouts with the right music and I get so tired of listening to the same things over and over on dvds when I already know what the moves are and everything.

eta: Sorry Chomper, I didn't read through your post first. +1 to everything you listed there
NotThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-14, 04:48 PM  
Buttercup

Whatever you use, let me warn you on the Jambox. My husband has two, a small one and a large one. They have each broken twice and had to be replaced. Jambox did replace them, but it is not worth the price and hassle. Plus, there are now a lot of other versions for about 1/4 the price. Sam's Club just put out one for about $60. My husband paid over $200 for one, the other was a gift.
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote