Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-14, 12:13 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Negin, I got what you were trying to say. People have made references to being aghast at having big butts and big thighs, while I strive for it, but I get it's not an ideal for THEM. I get what they are trying to say, and at the same time I'm proud of my big butt (and still trying for the muscular thighs, haha!).
You are far more diplomatic than I am. I do actually mind when I hear people dis large muscles on women, because they're making fun of something that happens naturally when certain women become stronger. Basic biology. In that way, I feel it's the same exact thing as making fun of someone for some other aspect of their appearance that is beyond their control. Worse even, because it also reminds me of the old "women should know their place and remain the smaller, weaker sex" notion that has been bandied about for a century or more.

Overall I think women are so used to hearing women get put down for appearances that we even do it to ourselves, which is very sad.

ETA: And by the way, I'm including the "no offense to those of you who have big muscles, but I don't want to look that way" or "my boyfriend isn't fond of that look" comments to be the same thing. There's no polite way of saying "I find you ugly, but I guess it's your choice to remain that way."
Old 07-30-14, 12:56 PM  
Gams

I used to date a guy that hated it when I told him he had a great body. I thought it was just because it embarrassed him, but one day when I told him that, he said, "Look - I've seen the pictures in those fitness magazines and I don't look anything like those guys." I told him, "Those guys look great, but guys don't have to look exactly like that to have a nice body. There is a big variety of nice bodies out there. And I'm kind of glad you don't look exactly like that because I think it would be kind of boring if everyone looked the same."
Old 07-30-14, 01:05 PM  
Calistro

I think the women also look great as well. I think women of different sizes and shapes can look beautiful once they carry themselves with confidence and are comfortable in their own skin.

This is how I think now that I am in my later 40s. When I was in my 20s my views were different.

It is thigh gaps now, but whatever next will I need to show the fitness ideal, a camel toe?

I have stopped measuring myself by society's ideals. I just want to be the best me.
Old 07-30-14, 01:15 PM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calistro View Post
whatever next will I need to show the fitness ideal, a camel toe?

That would certainly make shopping for workout clothes a lot easier!

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Old 07-30-14, 01:28 PM  
sophiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
That would certainly make shopping for workout clothes a lot easier!
Zing!
Old 07-30-14, 01:30 PM  
Aunt Famous

My beloved husband says, "All women are beautiful." That really takes the pressure off, to realize that there's plenty of room at the table for all of us, no matter how we look or to what ideal we strive.
Old 07-30-14, 03:49 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-lara View Post
You are far more diplomatic than I am. I do actually mind when I hear people dis large muscles on women, because they're making fun of something that happens naturally when certain women become stronger. Basic biology. In that way, I feel it's the same exact thing as making fun of someone for some other aspect of their appearance that is beyond their control. Worse even, because it also reminds me of the old "women should know their place and remain the smaller, weaker sex" notion that has been bandied about for a century or more.

Overall I think women are so used to hearing women get put down for appearances that we even do it to ourselves, which is very sad.

ETA: And by the way, I'm including the "no offense to those of you who have big muscles, but I don't want to look that way" or "my boyfriend isn't fond of that look" comments to be the same thing. There's no polite way of saying "I find you ugly, but I guess it's your choice to remain that way."
I agree with your post, especially what I highlighted.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Old 07-30-14, 03:57 PM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Negin, I got what you were trying to say. People have made references to being aghast at having big butts and big thighs, while I strive for it, but I get it's not an ideal for THEM. I get what they are trying to say, and at the same time I'm proud of my big butt (and still trying for the muscular thighs, haha!).
I wish I had a bubble butt. I NEVER will. It's genetically impossible and I am not going under the knife.
Old 07-30-14, 04:44 PM  
kiwichick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
I think the reference to flamingos is because they have spindly legs that are far apart, thus a "thigh gap".

I think it's wrong to disparage a certain body type in order to say that another look is okay.

Sure it's fine not to have a thigh gap. It's also fine to have one.
This! As ever, wonderfully put. Thank you.
Old 07-30-14, 07:44 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

The women look great, but not as defined as beauty contestants are these days. Weight training was not mainstream for women back then.
Closed Thread

Tags
body image, fashion, peer pressure, self esteem, thigh gap