Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-14, 04:29 AM  
Richie

Question Not OT - Nail biting.

I've always bitten my nails. I know it's a disgusting habit but I'm a nervous/anxious person and well, it's basically a compulsion I guess.

I really need to stop as it's negatively affecting my workouts, specifically yoga which is what I like most. Sometimes the pain in my fingertips is excruciating (especially in poses like Downward Dog) because of the lack of nail and raw skin etc. (Sorry this is really gross isn't it). It's ruining my focus, progress and enjoyment.

I've had periods over the years where I've managed to stop and my hands have gone back to normal and I even took pride in their appearance but the habit always comes back.

Does anyone have advice or know of truly effective treatments for things like this? It's clearly partly mental health related but if I could get a handle on the self-induced physical symptoms it would really help.

Thanks and I hope I've not grossed you out!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 06:19 AM  
bubbles76

I used to bite my nails when I was younger. My sister just bites the skin around the nails. I think I just grew out of it, but my sister still does it. In fact, people have asked her what's wrong with her fingers, as they are quite discolored on the ends.

Have you tried hypnotherapy? I've known people who have used it to stop smoking and it worked for them. Takes several sessions, but the results were permanent.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 07:06 AM  
caitlinpyle

I was a HUGE nail biter. What finally worked for me was getting a manicure every three weeks. The gel kind, which doesn't chip off three days in. I've had gel on my nails for seven months straight and my hands look awesome. I wish I had before pics, but my hands looked disgusting and never wanted anyone to see. it costs money, but I look at it as insurance that I don't destroy my hands!!!

Barre, Indoor Walking, and Rebounding Lover

Favorites: Suzanne Bowen, Jessica Smith, Ellen Barrett
caitlinpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 07:08 AM  
PrairieGem

Along the lines of Bubbles's suggestion, I wonder if cognitive therapy would help. It's the principle behind The Beck Diet Solution, which I raved about earlier this summer, which is a series of focused exercises designed to get people to take back control of destructive behaviors (in that case, overeating). I don't know if there's a specific program for nail-biting, but this book might be worth looking into: This Year I Will: How to Finally Change a Habit, Keep a Resolution, or Make a Dream Come True by MJ Ryan.

I know Dr. Beck has you start by making a list of all the advantages to changing your behavior--and then scheduling a time to read, think about, and really internalize those advantages... so they are always fresh in your mind when you're faced with temptation. That might help, to begin with!

Good luck. I hope you find some relief!
Old 07-29-14, 08:37 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
I think both suggestions are worth thinking about. 20 years ago I started doing acrylic nails and continue. Because the fake nail is over my real nail, I don't bite. This may be a bigger investment than you want to make, so the gel polish is a great idea.

Never done hypnotherapy . . . but sounds intriguing.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 09:04 AM  
BunnyHop

Former nail-biter here.

For me, a series of things adds together to help.

One, wearing multiple layers of clear polish and making sure to keep my nails shaped and trimmed (with high grit files), is key.

It seems my nails are just naturally kinda wimpy, so providing them a protective barrier to add strength and stability is key.

I wear about four or five layers, of different things.

Currently on my nails: Base coat (currently Duri Rejuvacote from Walmart), ridge filling coat (Mavala from Ulta), strengthening coat (Deborah Lippmann's Hard Rock), top coat (Sally Hansen Mega Shine top coat).

Sometimes I wear a bit of color, on top of the ridge filling layer, underneath the hardener and SH Mega Shine.

Other stuff I wear/use:
Mavala makes a product called Scientifique that you brush just across the very tips of your nails, it's not designed to be put on the whole nail. I think there are some similar products out there (Quimica Alemana Nail Hardener, I think is similar. Have never used it since I can get Mavala locally)

ProStrong's Pro Accelerator is a fluoride treatment you can brush over your nails even when you have polish on. For whatever reason I forget to use this. (never have been one for daily routine, I guess.)

Filing nails with high grit (glass files, or even higher grit regular types. I get along well with some from Sally's.)

Filing nails with dark polish on helps me focus on properly developing the shape I want.

Being gentle with my hands and fingertips in general is a help. Harsh cleansers, strong shampoos, even blowdrying my hair all the time all add up and the cumulative damage can weaken the nails as they grow out.

http://loodieloodieloodie.blogspot.com/ is a great blog full of info. IIRC, she finished a graduate degree some time ago and doesn't have the time for adding to the blog the way she used to, but she's got lots of great advice.

Most of all, just be sure that change is possible.

ETA: For me, the DIY gel nails just seem to encourage me to pick off the polish, which leads to peelies. They are nice looking and quick, in the short term, so I do give in once in a while when I need my nails looking well groomed in a hurry.

Sorry to ramble.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 09:07 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I was probably the worst (best?) biter in the world. Some people bit a little bit, but I was a true pro. You cannot gross me out with a nail biting story. I bit to the cuticles every day for decades. Hypnosis worked for me when nothing else would, not acrylics, bad tasting polish they sell for this reason, manicures, rubber bands, gloves, inositol, self-hypnosis, shame, anything.

The therapist will ask you what your triggers and "before biting rituals" are, and it's good if you figure out those things so he/she can put it in the session, like "stop when you realize you're running your fingers along a snag because that usually leads you to bite."

One session worked like magic for me though it didn't feel like anything magical had happened. But I did start biting about a year or two later and had to go again. I went through that a few cycles; this last time has been several years now.

While I don't struggle at all with urges, I also don't tempt fate and paint my nails often or grow them long because every little paint chip could be a signal to bite.

Good luck! If you're around DC, PM me for my hypnotherapist's name.
Old 07-29-14, 09:14 AM  
bbarbaruba

A product similar to this cured me of this habit many years ago:

BARIELLE NO NAIL BITE PRO NAIL GROWTH
bbarbaruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 10:39 AM  
unfetteredpast

All great suggestions, but may I add that it might be useful to figure out what triggers the behavior. See if you can catch yourself in the act of going for your nails, and then observe what is going on at that moment. The goal would be to find a new reward for that trigger behavior. Good luck!
unfetteredpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 10:52 AM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I bit mine down to the cuticle like Sarah. I had more infections than I can count. I have and always had dry nails and cuticles so I had something hard to pick on. When I was 34 yrs. old a neighbor had enough and smacked my face when I had my fingers in my mouth. That stopped me from biting everything but my pinky on one hand. I use Solar Oil and hand creams several times a day or the cuticles get hard and dry. Good luck with whatever you try.
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, helpful hints, problem