Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-24-14, 09:20 PM  
Vee

NROL for Women vs Drop2Sizes vs P90X3 vs STS

I want to start a weight training program that has 3 lifting sessions per week.

My preference is to do my own thing (yoga) on remaining days. I want to lift to build muscle and strength. I am not interested in metabolic training or trying to consciously burn fat. I like programs that go heavy on training legs (cathe style leg work vs the leg work in the original p90x). What I don't like about cathe is the heavy emphasis on working biceps and triceps. I like more functional exercises with compound exercises (compound as defined by Alwyn Cosgrove- squats, press, etc). I can do one hour 3 x per week or less.

Option 1: sign up for cathe streaming and do STS.
Option 2: p90x3 but then I don't need or want the non lifting workouts and am not sure how this rotation will work without them.
Option 3: new rules of lifting for women. I have the book. I never got around to doing the program. I don't mind not working out to video. I can do the workouts at home or in my condo's gym.
Option 4: drop 2 sizes - I like the idea of mixing in swings. I like to mix explosive Kettlebell moves with traditional lifting. I will exclude the metabolic workout and only do the strength. The kindle version of the book is just $10.

Any suggestions of what works best for my goal and is most fun?
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 09:37 PM  
andtckrtoo

Well, Vee, P90X3 is not really a heavy lifting workout. It's great, but it's more about overall fitness and flexibility.

I'd honestly say if you already have the book, try NROL. Why not?
Old 07-24-14, 10:23 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
Well, Vee, P90X3 is not really a heavy lifting workout. It's great, but it's more about overall fitness and flexibility.

Ditto. P90x3 is a great program but not for heavy lifting.

I could be reasonable and say go with what you already have. But I've done all the programs you listed and for muscle/strength gains I can say from experience that STS blows the rest out of the water.The others aren't even a close second. Do your 1 rep max and follow the program and you'll reach a whole new level of strength. The only other program that even comes close is Body Beast and it still took second place. I've done countless strength programs and STS delivered significantly better results than all of them.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 10:59 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I can weigh in on D2S since I just finished that program in June (from the DVDs, not the book). Will you be working out at home? The D2S book is really designed for gym workouts--i.e., it uses equipment like a suspension trainer and other things most people wouldn't have at home. Rachel released the DVD set specifically for those who wanted to do the program at home.

Also, when you mentioned swings, did you mean doing them on your own? The only time that swings are included in D2S is as one of the finishers (and it may have been in one of the metabolic workouts, which you said you weren't going to do). Otherwise, kettlebells are only used in the programs for cleans and occasionally as an option for traditional weight moves.

Personally, I didn't like D2S, but I haven't tried any of the other programs you mentioned, so I can't make a good comparison.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 11:10 PM  
Vee

P90x3 is out since it isn't focused on muscle building.

D2S is out. I want flexibility of gym vs home. I don't have access to suspension trainers.

It is down to NROL for W vs STS now.

NROL for W is less fussy. Since it is written, I can do home or gym. To do STS meso 1, I can manage at home but from Meso 2 I need the gym (I don't have heavy enough weights).

Thanks so much for the responses.
Old 07-25-14, 05:51 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

D2S (the DVD set) doesn't use the suspension trainer or require a gym. I also think it's up to date on the latest in injury-prevention (no crunches, lots of joint mobility, etc.) And in general, I like the workouts. But it's not a "heavy weights" or traditional strength building workout like the Beast, STS Meso 3 or NROL are. I kind of think it's one of those workouts that prepares you for... more of the same kind of workout. It's not a size builder.

Also, I call it "Drop No Sizes" and I found myself highly discouraged for having zero results from it to the point I kind of gave up on fitness for a month or so after finishing it. I really gave it my all and suffered a "what's the point; it shouldn't be so hard to lose a size" breakdown after it.
Old 07-25-14, 09:25 AM  
Vee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-lara View Post
D2S (the DVD set) doesn't use the suspension trainer or require a gym. I also think it's up to date on the latest in injury-prevention (no crunches, lots of joint mobility, etc.) And in general, I like the workouts. But it's not a "heavy weights" or traditional strength building workout like the Beast, STS Meso 3 or NROL are. I kind of think it's one of those workouts that prepares you for... more of the same kind of workout. It's not a size builder.

Also, I call it "Drop No Sizes" and I found myself highly discouraged for having zero results from it to the point I kind of gave up on fitness for a month or so after finishing it. I really gave it my all and suffered a "what's the point; it shouldn't be so hard to lose a size" breakdown after it.
I am sorry to hear this program was so discouraging for you. I have been there. Working hard and not finding the right formula to achieve your goal is disheartening. I hope things are working better now.
Old 07-25-14, 09:33 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Aw, thanks Vee! I re-started lifting last Monday and hope to do another round of my beloved STS Meso 3 coming up soon. The thread the other day on whether you can lose 3 lbs of muscle in a short time really opened my eyes to how quickly detraining occurs, so I want to make a better point of not taking long periods off anymore. A whole month off is a real muscle killer, and I have this living example (my mom) to show me why I want all the muscle I can get.
Old 07-25-14, 10:49 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee View Post
I can do one hour 3 x per week or less.
While the workouts are short in the first stage of NROLW, they get much longer in subsequent stages. By stage 4, they were taking me about an hour and a half.

A splits program like STS might work better for your schedule. I find that time is the biggest factor in whether I'll stick with a program. If the workouts are too long, I just don't end up doing them!

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 03:46 PM  
warriorprincess

I loved loved NROLW. I did this for a couple of years and learned a lot about lifting. If you do it, join the jpfitness forum.

I've only done a few of the STS workouts through Cathe's streaming service, and she moves too fast for me for heavy weights.

Can't speak to the others.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drop 2 sizes, p90x3, sts