Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-13, 04:48 PM  
Gyggles1

I also LOVE my Fitbit, I have the Ultra now and its holding up just fine and I have to add in that their Customer Service is just wonderful! My dog chewed up my old Ultra & I thought on a whim I'd contact Customer Service and they replaced it FREE of charge w/ pictures of course for proof. I've been a Fitbitter since June 2010.

Love this message by Jessica Smith
"every step you take is one step closer to your goal"
Gyggles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 03:11 PM  
kharaway

I Love my fitbit. My first one broke after 1 year, and customer service replaced free of charge.
kharaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 02:36 PM  
Richie

Hope it's okay to bump this rather than start a new thread.

Is Fitbit still the goto tracker or should I consider something like Misfit Shine or other?
I'd rather sync to my computer at home rather than my phone if that limits my options and I'd rather have a device that recharges instead of using batteries. I'm not bothered about it being fully waterproof as I haven't been swimming for years!
I should add that I've never used an activity tracker before! Can you tell?
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 03:25 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Hope it's okay to bump this rather than start a new thread.

Is Fitbit still the goto tracker or should I consider something like Misfit Shine or other?
I'd rather sync to my computer at home rather than my phone if that limits my options and I'd rather have a device that recharges instead of using batteries. I'm not bothered about it being fully waterproof as I haven't been swimming for years!
I should add that I've never used an activity tracker before! Can you tell?
I've been using a Fitbit for about 3-4 years now and still love it. I looked at the Shine (and just about every tracker that comes out). From what I can gather, the other devices all have their own pros and cons. What I like about Fitbit:
1--it integrates with a lot of other apps/services. I have mine linked to my nutrition tracker, Digifit heart rate monitor app, and several challenges.
2--It is easy (I think) to overwrite fitbit's calorie burn for activities it doesn't track well like yoga, cycling, strength training, etc. The Shine might be better with cycling (from what it says) but that seems to involve indicating on the app what you are doing and wearing it on the foot/leg. I am not really a cycler--just the ocassional spin class and my heart rate monitor burn is automatically logged to Fitbit so no worries for me.
3--I like my One because it is small and easy to hide. So I can wear it with formal or dressy clothing and clothing with no pockets without anyone knowing. I usually clip it to either my bra or undergarments. The wrist worn trackers are harder to hide.
4--I can sync my fitbit with either my phone or computer (if I have the sync dongle plugged in--a small USB item). I usually just sync through my phone as I find that more convenient. Before I had a smart phone I synched my previous fitbit Ultra though my computer.
5--The rechargable battery lasts 1-2 weeks for me. I can usually charge it during a morning shower.

It isn't waterproof and that is one reason I keep looking at other devices. If I do water activity, I use my old heart rate monitor and just log the calorie burn it reports. So it not being waterproof isn't a dealbreaker for me. The Fitbit Flex can be worn in the pool but my impression is that it doesn't track water activity well anyway (it just isn't damaged from the water). I imagine the Shine would be better with swimming--though I think you have to indicate you will be swimming in the app and wear it on the wrist while swimming?
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 03:56 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Fitbit said they were working on the problem a while ago and I believe they did. I'm on my fourth. It's lasted 1.5 years, I think. The three before this lasted a combined four months. I highly recommend REI, which took all of my broken Fitbits right back, without question or hassle.
Old 07-16-14, 04:07 PM  
Richie

Thanks Sam, that's great info.

Sarah, do Fitbits have a tendency to fail then?
Old 07-16-14, 04:22 PM  
slysam

I've had good luck with mine considering. But people's experience varies. I am on my 4th fitbit in about 4 years...

My first fitbit a now discontinued "classic" lasted the longest. It survived one trip through the washer and dryer attached to my sportsbra. But died the second time I repeated this mistake. These were not as durable as current fitbits, but I didn't need to use the clip as the device itself was a clip (kind of like an old clothespin).

My second fitbit a now discontinued Ultra works fine. I used it for about a year, but decided I wanted to upgrade after the One came out. I gave my Ultra to DH who is still using it though I am not sure how much longer it will last. It is over two years old, maybe more like 3.

My third fitbit was a One. Sadly, I was wearing it on my bra just fine for months but suddenly it started irritating my skin. So I started wearing it on my waistband. Somehow it popped out of the holder and was lost. Fitbit replaced it for me when I complained about the holder. I had it about 4-6 months.

So I am using my fourth (and no problems wearing it on my bra like I use to). Fingers crossed. I have had my new one for a couple months.

My DH is on his seconf fitbit Ultra. The first I bought second hand on Ebay. He used it for several months then it just stopped working. This was my excuse to upgrade to the One--so he could ahve my Ultra. He is currently using my old Ultra and has for about a year. I don't know what was wrong with his first ultra--but it was second hand so I don't know what it went through previously.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 04:30 PM  
Richie

Interesting, thanks. I guess I should buy with the expectation that they last about a year then I won't be disappointed!
Old 07-16-14, 06:24 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

If ANYTHING does happen to your Fitbit, contact them. My clip broke shortly after I got my Ultra and they sent a free replacement. Then in January, after I'd had the Ultra for about 18 months, it fell off somewhere in the airport. I emailed Fitbit (there's actually an "I can't find my Fitbit" item somewhere in their FAQs) and they sent me a brand-new One as a replacement.

I <3 my Fitbit! DH jokes that the old one is off propositioning someone else now ("Smooches!").

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 06:39 PM  
raeven

I started my fitbit journey with the flex last september. I ventured off to test and try other wrist trackers on the market, but every time I came back to fitbit. I now have a fitbit One, as I wanted to see if I liked it vs wearing a tracker on the wrist, which I do. I also got my hubby a One, and so we both use them daily now! I never really could get him to walk previously, and now after work we go outside and walk around together as he talks and burns off work steam.

I think fitbit has the best overall well rounded platform of the ones I tested. That is of course my opinion only!
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote