Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-01-11, 12:43 PM  
Fidget Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
PT for the IT band has moved away from foam rolling, at least along the vastus lateralis (outside of the thigh). This was news to me, as I've previously been a proponent of foam rolling for the ITB, and it was part of MY PT when I had an ITB injury.

During my second such injury, which had a different cause from the first, I realized (and later had this confirmed) that the ITB is basically fascia in the vastus area and rolling there is not doing much, if anything for it. (Source is Grey Cook, who is a PT.) Where you want to hit is higher in the hip area, the TFL and medius, if you roll at all.

I don't know how good a job the knee straps actually do. Personally, if I ever felt myself at that stage of an ITB injury again I would not waste time on a strap; I'd rest it/switch to non-aggravating exercise and start strengthening the hip.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into. Well, the strap wasn't my first choice. But I'm hoping it will supplement what I'm already doing. Nothing else is really working, and while I've been working on strengthening the hips for months and months, it's not doing the trick yet. I'm hoping that the stretching component will help now. 6 years is a long time to deal with this injury and I'm tired of it .
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 12:54 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I've suffered from ITband stiffness off and on the last few years. I've used a band when it's really bad (and when I have alot of stiffness/soreness in my knee).

In 2005, I was training for the Philadelphia Marathon and after my final 20 mile long run I could barely walk after for a couple of days because my ITband was so tight. I ordered this band and used it for a couple of weeks prior to the race and then during the race. It really, really helped alot! I completed the marathon without any issues.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/PRO010/

The key to the band is to position it in the correct spot (right above the outside knee where your leg starts to taper in). It's used as a preventative to stop the friction that causes the inflamation around the knee that causes the pain and stiffness (this is just "my" layman's understanding, I have no medical credentials).

HTH,
Kathy
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 06:35 AM  
Kyra

6 YEARS? Wow. Have you seen anyone about it? ITB problems can progress to hip bursitis, which isn't going to respond to strengthening, etc. It may be time to rule out other possible problems, or at least to make sure you're correctly addressing any strength deficiencies.

Kathy's exactly right (of course!) about what the straps do; why I personally wouldn't mess with them is because in my mind, that would be a license to keep running through something that should be dealt with. And because the strap is re-routing the band locally, i.e., at the knee, I'm not sure how it would help your hip. Good luck; I've literally felt your pain and I know how frustrating it is!

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 09:27 AM  
IrishOT

I have also suffered from IT band pain, one of the worst and most frustrating things ever as a runner! I never tried the strap being discussed, but I have found that a combo of foam rolling my hip area, IT band and hip stretching, one legged squats, and hip abduction work have really helped keep mine IT band issues at bay. For hip abduction I typically tie a theraband around my ankles and side step as well as doing clam shells with theraband tied above the knee. This article may be of help http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6099
Good Luck, as I know how very painful IT band syndrome can be.
IrishOT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheryl soleway, denise beatty, fitball, iliotibial band, iliotibila band syndrome, it band, it band injury, it band syndrome