Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-14-11, 01:09 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Mel - Yeah, we did cross post. From the 1 Focus and 2 Longevity workouts I've seen, I'd be hesitant to recommend them to a beginner. I find them fairly tough given my arthritic joints and my self-proclaimed intermediate status.

One more thought - I don't know if they are what you are looking for, but you might want to check out some of Ellen Barrett's Studio workouts. I would describe them as more fusion type workouts than functional fitness, but they might be a good place to start and build up some strength.

ETA - OK. Just one more thought... Kathy Smith has an old workout called Functionally Fit- Peak Fat Burning. It includes a modifier that shows easier versions. It's an older workout, but I remember using back when I was early on in my video workout life. If you have any interest, it's on this DVD with Secrets of a Great Upper/Lower Body.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 01:32 PM  
dnna

Today I did katrina Hunter's Step Party-the first one. I do step on the floor and I was moving. Each step section has a nice short functional toning section.
It was 50 minutes total. I felt it really worked the core nicely.
There is also an advanced workout on the dvd, that is longer also like to rec. the FitPrimes and Kickbutt workout. new and old versions. Except Tracy Longs Strong Bear and Fast Cheetah are really hard to me. ( from the first release)
Susan Harris finding Your Core from the TLT set is good,
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 03:31 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
ETA - OK. Just one more thought... Kathy Smith has an old workout called Functionally Fit- Peak Fat Burning. It includes a modifier that shows easier versions. It's an older workout, but I remember using back when I was early on in my video workout life.
oooh, that's an oldie but goodie. However, if the OP is truly feeling deconditioned at the moment, I would save that for a few weeks down the road. Particularly if one is in the stage of letting the joints adapt to exercise. From what I remember even the modifiers were still doing some hops, etc. Or am I totally out to lunch? I have this one on VHS so can't check right now.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 03:39 PM  
jacs

Another vote for Fitness Fix. the beginner one is specifically designed for people with injuries, but there is plenty of scope to grow with it - not something you will need to stop using as you grow stronger.

Beautiful scenery too!
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 03:41 PM  
KathAL79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel VF View Post
Even when I was in better shape, Tracie Long's offerings seemed to be too advanced for me. I was wondering whether any of her Longevity or Focus workouts were more friendly to beginners.
It's kind of hard to say (but in a few weeks I might be in a position to tell you, as I'll have to work back up to my current fitness level). Tracie works out by herself in both series, so she doesn't have a modifier, and she's inconsistent in showing modifications (for example, she often tells you to drop to your knees if you'd like for push-ups, but she doesn't always show how to take out impact in cardio segments). These are also less functionally oriented than her TLTs and I suppose also her TLPs; she'll often include short segments she labels as functional, but there's a lot more traditional gym-style body parts-focused lifting, even if she does include more balance challenges and paper plate / rag work and things like that.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 07:31 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
T-Tapp MORE.

I love all things t-tapp, but the MORE workout was made just for your needs.

I know I sound like a commercial, but I believe in t-tapp's rehabilitative and functional fitness power.
I might be Demeris' yes man, but seconding T-Tapp MORE. I started doing T-Tapp last October, got MORE for my Mom...except she hasn't received it yet, cuz I've been doing it since the new year. I really have been enjoying the core training that T-Tapp provides, and this is a workout that doesn't hurt me.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 07:39 PM  
Scbayless

I would say start out with Tracie Long Training Better Buns Better Burn. It's a med ball, very functional, lots of rotational work, and a modifier in the back. My mom who is fifty does these work outs almost every day and has really "tweaky" knees, but does fine with these.

Tags
denise beatty, functional fitness, mirabai holland, t-tapp more, tracie long