Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-30-22, 03:28 PM  
Leonana

I've never disliked Denise Austin, but I've never done one of her workouts. I didn't start doing home workouts until 2012, and I guess I was busy with other instructors at that time.

Thanks for recommending her IG. I checked it out and liked it, so I followed her. She is very positive!
Old 10-30-22, 08:30 PM  
Jeanette

I've always loved Denise - not sure why she has always been badmouthed so much! I still do her older workouts. Haven't done too many of her newer ones. I've thought about subscribing, but I already have other multiple subscriptions already. What a time to be alive, all of these streaming options!
Jeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-22, 08:00 AM  
Rhonda

I've always liked Denise. I haven't done her workouts in years. I do have a few at home. I should pull them out and see what I have.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-22, 01:16 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I've been revisiting all my old Denise workouts and really enjoying them now. It's so funny how things change, I likely wouldn't have even thought about them until this thread. Kind of like older Leslie workouts, at the time, I never envisioned loving them like I do now.

I may have to treat myself to some others at Mary's upcoming sale since I kind of gave up on Denise a decade ago (when I thought I was too cool for school for such moderate workouts!).
Lori_Michigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-22, 07:36 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I think there are quite a few instructors that have been criticized repeatedly over the years for certain things, whether the criticizer likes the workouts and/or instructor or not.

Examples:

-Tony Horton and needing to use the "less Tony" feature.

-Leslie Sansone and "walk walk walk".

-Jillian Michaels with the extremely low waisted pants and her voice decibel level/shouting.
LOLOLOLOL

I love the “less Tony” option on P90X, particularly on Kenpo X. Just music and cues!

I also like to count how many times Leslie will say “walk” in one sentence. I think her personal best is 10!

As to Denise, I do have a few of her workouts, in particular her yoga and barre DVDs. They are pretty good and Denise is wonderfully encouraging. But she never acts like she “quite” knows what her next bit of choreography is going to be,lol. I’ve wondered sometimes how often she is improvising that next bit!

She also tends to repeat the same phrases over and over, such as “tighten that tush” or “slim that waistline”. I find it endearing.
Old 11-12-22, 01:47 AM  
Negin

I adore her, and I really love this thread. My husband loves hearing her positivity in the background when I do her workouts. This thread is motivating me to do her workouts more often. My problem is that there are so many workouts that I love and not enough time. I love almost everything.
Old 03-22-23, 11:51 AM  
imhere2dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
The only Denise Austin video I owned was her Stretch & Flex (1989). It was good. I don't think it ever came out on DVD.

Hey, I just found it on YouTube!

Denise Austin Stretch & Flex

I have it on DVD. I can't remember where I ordered it... Maybe Barnes & Noble or Deep Discount? I bought it last year.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-23, 12:36 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I have it on DVD-R, bought it at walmart.com
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-23, 12:44 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

I have Stretch and Flex and Totally Firm from Deep Discount.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-23, 01:26 PM  
DD546

I have to say, when Denise did her show on ESPN, she drove me nuts! I've acquired several of her DVDs recently, and I really like her and her workouts. Maybe she's not as over the top as she was in her ESPN show, but more likely my tastes have changed, and now I really appreciate her encouraging words and positive vibe.
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
denise austin, dreams - weird, instructor preferences