Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-22, 02:43 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Denise Austin is probably the strongest instructor ever.......

I know this headline sounds crazy but hear me out. I actually really like working out with her and own almost all her videos. Her cueing is the absolute worst and I can't stand her phrases focusing on physical appearance. With that said, I still think her workouts are top notch.

I read many posts where she has been bashed. I did some research on her and this is what I found:

*She is an international winning gymnast.

*She received 21 Division 1 full scholarship offers for gymnastics.

*She was ranked among the top ten in the entire country collegiately as a gymnast.

I don't think people really understand the absolute power and strength a world class gymnast possesses. Obviously, they also have bodies that retain muscle or they wouldn't get to that level.

So, here you have one of the best gymnast's in the country who graduated with a degree in physical education and exercise physiology making exercise videos. Now, think about it.....of course, she would be overly encouraging because she knows she can do a one arm handstand and hold it for 4 hours and that she can do 20 backflips without even needing a breathe. Imagine Simone Biles making an exercise video! I am sure she would be super encouraging as well!!

There is not a doubt in my mind that Denise is probably, hands down, the strongest fitness instructor. They train like 8 hours a day and just working out for 1-2 hours is not going to equal their strength and power. So, no, you will probably never look like Denise unless you have those genetics. Likewise, I am sure it is easier for a world class gymnast to maintain strength than a regular person! It all comes down to genetics. Just like you can do barre 7 days a week but unless you have a genetic predisposition to having a prima ballerina body, you will not get one from barre!

I don't believe people give her enough credit for how hard she must try to be relatable when she was a world class gymnast trying to teach basic fitness! I am sure it was all SO easy for her. Again, look up the training routines of top nationally ranked gymnasts and your jaw will drop!! Anyways, just thought I would share this about her!
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-22, 03:50 PM  
star117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post
I know this headline sounds crazy but hear me out. I actually really like working out with her and own almost all her videos. Her cueing is the absolute worst and I can't stand her phrases focusing on physical appearance. With that said, I still think her workouts are top notch.

I read many posts where she has been bashed. I did some research on her and this is what I found:

*She is an international winning gymnast.

*She received 21 Division 1 full scholarship offers for gymnastics.

*She was ranked among the top ten in the entire country collegiately as a gymnast.

I don't think people really understand the absolute power and strength a world class gymnast possesses. Obviously, they also have bodies that retain muscle or they wouldn't get to that level.

So, here you have one of the best gymnast's in the country who graduated with a degree in physical education and exercise physiology making exercise videos. Now, think about it.....of course, she would be overly encouraging because she knows she can do a one arm handstand and hold it for 4 hours and that she can do 20 backflips without even needing a breathe. Imagine Simone Biles making an exercise video! I am sure she would be super encouraging as well!!

There is not a doubt in my mind that Denise is probably, hands down, the strongest fitness instructor. They train like 8 hours a day and just working out for 1-2 hours is not going to equal their strength and power. So, no, you will probably never look like Denise unless you have those genetics. Likewise, I am sure it is easier for a world class gymnast to maintain strength than a regular person! It all comes down to genetics. Just like you can do barre 7 days a week but unless you have a genetic predisposition to having a prima ballerina body, you will not get one from barre!

I don't believe people give her enough credit for how hard she must try to be relatable when she was a world class gymnast trying to teach basic fitness! I am sure it was all SO easy for her. Again, look up the training routines of top nationally ranked gymnasts and your jaw will drop!! Anyways, just thought I would share this about her!
Great post! I recently started following her on Instagram because she is just so dang positive about everything and I need that in my life. I never see her not smiling! And yes, she is still super cheesy these days, but I don't care! haha
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-22, 05:08 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Star,

We will probably be the only two commenters as she seems to be hated here for some reason! But, I, honestly, don’t think people give her enough credit! When she first started putting out videos, I found old posts of people poo pooing her fitness! ! I have to laugh because I am sure she could have demolished 99.9% of people fitness wise at that time (probably still could)! I once saw a special of how these top gymnasts train and their strength is INSANE!!!! So, I think she deserves some respect for being relatable! Actually, maybe she was too relatable as people never even realized just how fit and strong she truly was!! Haha

As I have gotten older, I appreciate her cheerleading as I’m not always motivated to work out. So, it’s nice to hear that “I’m doing great and she is proud of me”!!

Her Hot Body Yoga, Yoga Booty lift, and Fat Blasting yoga are my staples right now (but I have used most of her workouts in the past as well just never focused on them). I have tried so many workouts from so many different instructors and I can’t believe how strong and toned I am getting from these! It’s truly mind blowing! In fact, after just doing these workouts, I went on an 8 mile hike with lots of elevation spikes (I’m in New England so it’s hilly!) at a fast clip and was completely fine. So, it’s even helping my cardio endurance!! I have zero aches and pains. My balance and flexibility have really improved. I wish I had focused on them earlier!! But, live and learn, right!
Old 10-27-22, 05:28 PM  
Helen

Thank you for her background information. I had no idea.
She was one of my first instuctors, along with Kathy Smith, Leslie Sansone, and Cori Everson (a decade-themed step workout).

I always come away in a better mood, and boast to my husband that she was "Proud of me" - again.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-22, 06:16 PM  
star117

That's great! Hiking is hard!!

Her caribbean show was one of the first workouts I did. Her and Cynthia kerluk. I loved them both!
I recently acquired hot body yoga! I'll put it on next week's schedule!

Helen, it's nice to be encouraged like she does us!
Old 10-27-22, 06:32 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Helen, I agree completely!! Working out should be fun and she makes it fun with her words of encouragement!

Star, you will love Hot Body Yoga...especially the second workout! Similarly, Yoga Booty Lift is actually my favorite. It's a complete total body workout so the title is misleading so you should check that one out too!!!

I should add.....I don't work out to change my appearance. Actually, I am anti-diet and extremely comfortable in my bigger body. So, for me to have my body really firm up with these workouts was surprising and definitely not expected! It's the mental health boost, strength, flexibility, balance, and aerobic endurance that I aim for and the rest is gravy!
Old 10-27-22, 06:42 PM  
star117

Gem, that's a great mindset! I need to lose weight but am focusing on weight workouts now. I got a few other Denise's in a sase that I haven't done, maybe that one will be in there!
Old 10-27-22, 07:18 PM  
Gams

I don’t think anyone here hates Denise. I’m sure she’s very fit. She seems very sincere and she looks great. I have a few of her workouts that I enjoy, but she’s not one of my favorites. Not every instructor is going to appeal to every exerciser. And I do think her cuing is terrible, but I certainly don’t hate her.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-22, 07:28 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I don’t think anyone here hates Denise. I’m sure she’s very fit. She seems very sincere and she looks great. I have a few of her workouts that I enjoy, but she’s not one of my favorites. Not every instructor is going to appeal to every exerciser. And I do think her cuing is terrible, but I certainly don’t hate her.
I don't know how to link threads but check out the ones:

What Instructor do you not care for?

Oh, the shame-I like Denise Austin?

Does ANYONE like Denise Austin?

She definitely is not popular here! But, maybe things have changed and people do not despise her as much anymore...hope so!!
Old 10-27-22, 07:46 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I LOVE Denise Austin! Thanks for reminding me, I need to get back to doing her workouts. She is a great follow on Instagram!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
denise austin, dreams - weird, instructor preferences