Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-22, 12:04 PM  
alisoncooks

Sherry - I hope you keep us informed on how it goes for you! I’m the exact opposite of you — weight junkie, cardio hater — and I’m actively increasing my weekly cardio time. I’ve never done much more than the occasional walk, lol, but now that I have the rowing machine, I’m motivated!

I love strength training (though my heaviest are 15s, haha). I see a big improvement in my knee stability when I regularly train my lower body. Also my posture is better.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 12:28 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I do both strength and cardio although nowadays my cardio is mostly walking. I never was very much into cardio machines although we got a rower at the start of the pandemic that I use when the weather is too lousy to walk. I think most people would consider my fitness routine as being strength focused.
Frequently my strength training raises my heart rate because I do it in a circuit or supersets with minimal rest between exercises. This is especially true because I haven't been lifting really heavy since the pandemic has kept me out of the gym. When I lift heavy (think barbells) rest between sets is crucial. Very hard for me because I get antsy.
In terms of changes, strength builds pretty fast when you start using weights in my experience. It also changed my body in a good way at least when I was younger. I think that strength is the most important aspect of fitness as we age. It is required for the activities of daily living that one must be capable of to remain independent.

I have been following this woman on IG and her blog/website: https://www.caseyjohnston.net/ask-a-swole-woman/ She is into Heavy lifting.
She just released a good program in an e-book to start people out on the basics of lifting. I got it even though I am not a beginner out of curiosity. It is a solid program but may be considered boring by some-only large basic compound movements-no bicep curls, triceps work etc.
I found out about her through a podcast and by coincidence, my DIL recently started following her and bought Casey's program (Couch to Barbell) although she hasn't started it. She is into running and biking and wants to increase her strength.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 01:01 PM  
ellaenchanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
On the cardio vs strength thing: Obviously balance is a great idea, but over the years, lack of sufficient cardio is worse for me than lack of sufficient strength.
Me too! I seem to be able to retain a decent a mount of strength when I slack off for awhile and can quickly regain it. Cardio endurance and capaity, on the other hand, can take a lot longer to build back up and is what keeps me in over all good shape for everyday life and health, especially moderate cardio exercise that I can do almost everyday without feeling physically or mentally fatigued.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 01:08 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
Me too! I seem to be able to retain a decent a mount of strength when I slack off for awhile and can quickly regain it. Cardio endurance and capaity, on the other hand, can take a lot longer to build back up and is what keeps me in over all good shape for everyday life and health, especially moderate cardio exercise that I can do almost everyday without feeling physically or mentally fatigued.
Yes, strength can be regained quickly that is true. I am feel like I need to up my cardio game but I hate machines. I try to walk hills as much as possible.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 07:52 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Weight training

Is soooo important as we age.

I was a strength junkie but somewhere along the line switched over to cardio. I have been doing a 6 week program on Peloton. (It's just a program ... which would be the same for you with Beach Body!) In all honesty? I think you need to give it a good 4-6 weeks to properly judge it. The first 3 weeks I was heavy and blocky. after that I began to see/feel differences. So you are wise in not watching the scale!

I just read an article on how strength training helps in so many aspects of life (that we don't normally think of) that it's great as we age. Balance, core stability, endurance, warding of osteoporisis, cognitive thinking, and there was some other stuff. . .

So I say ~ go for it (at your own pace, using your weights, modifying when necessary). Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-22, 10:42 AM  
ADoll

I followed a strength rotation made by a fitness trainer using Peloton strength workouts. I did it for a few months and the heaviest I used was 10 lbs. I gained strength and even though I didn’t measure myself, people asked me if I lost weight. I guess it made me look slimmer.
ADoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-22, 12:23 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you for the responses and thanks to whomever tagged the thread. I always forget to do that.

I will keep going and post updates after I've done at least four weeks. I had started other Team Body Project rotations and not finished them. To be honest, I am horrible about sticking with rotations, but I hope to actually complete this one even though it will take longer.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-22, 01:28 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I've switched now to 2-3 total body strength workouts (Cathe) a week with my highest of a 15 lb dumbbell. For years I did cardio at least every other day, and for many years it was more days per week than strength. Fast forward to perimenopause and numerous injuries. Switching to just strength and stretching (CS/Ess) with just walking occasionally has really been good for this stage in life. I've now lost 13 lbs and an entire pant size since September. I am not constantly injured, I'm not tired all the time, and I'm not ravenously hungry so I can maintain a calorie deficit but meet my macros. Now just 20 more lbs to go!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-22, 02:54 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Thank you for the responses and thanks to whomever tagged the thread. I always forget to do that.

I will keep going and post updates after I've done at least four weeks. I had started other Team Body Project rotations and not finished them. To be honest, I am horrible about sticking with rotations, but I hope to actually complete this one even though it will take longer.

Sherry
I added 5 of the tags. I love to tag threads for some weird reason.

Good luck with your rotation! I've never even attempted one.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-22, 03:21 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I added 5 of the tags. I love to tag threads for some weird reason.

Good luck with your rotation! I've never even attempted one.
Thank you!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio vs weights, kcm power splits, no cardio, results, strength building, strength focus, strength training, warrior plan, weights only, weights vs cardio