Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-31-12, 05:30 PM  
ltlangeli

Supreme 90 Users - Pros/Cons Please

I think i am going to begin a Supreme 90 rotation thanks to my Secret Santa. I remember reading that there seemed to be a love/hate relationship with this system.

For those of you who used Supreme 90
1. What did you like
2. What drove you nuts/didn't like

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-31-12, 05:46 PM  
DEEDEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlangeli View Post
I think i am going to begin a Supreme 90 rotation thanks to my Secret Santa. I remember reading that there seemed to be a love/hate relationship with this system.

For those of you who used Supreme 90
1. What did you like
2. What drove you nuts/didn't like

Thanks in advance!
Pros:
1. If you use them, you can't beat the price.

2. I thought they had good training routines.

3. I liked that people went at their own pace, sort of.

Cons:
1. They move way too fast. I have to either pause (which is what I do) or go lighter (I refuse to do).

2. The instructor sometimes doesn't tell you how many reps until you should have been done with the set already.

3. The same warm up (which doesn't really warm you up) and the same cool down on all dvds.

4. Personally I found two of the class members annoying. The one with the already too low shorts that keeps pushing them lower and the woman that looked like she would rather get her tooth pulled without novacaine than to be in that class.

5. Blah music.

6. The exercises aren't chaptered.

All in all, I like weight training and I like to go pretty heavy. I put on my own music and go at my own pace and I really do enjoy this set.
DEEDEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 06:00 PM  
SEV

I may not be much help since I have not used S90 as a rotation. But I think it was the best $15 dollars I ever spent! I'm not crazy about the pace of the weight work, but you can go at your own pace. I love the all the ab work, especially the ball workout. I mostly use the cardio ball, core ? something and the two cardio ones. I am not one to follow rotations so I just use these when I feel like it.

Susan
SEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 07:42 PM  
DachsieDogMom

I didnt care for this, I traded this set pretty quickly. I felt it moved too fast.
DachsieDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 08:25 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEDEE View Post
Cons:
1. They move way too fast. I have to either pause (which is what I do) or go lighter (I refuse to do).

2. The instructor sometimes doesn't tell you how many reps until you should have been done with the set already.

3. The same warm up (which doesn't really warm you up) and the same cool down on all dvds.

4. Personally I found two of the class members annoying. The one with the already too low shorts that keeps pushing them lower and the woman that looked like she would rather get her tooth pulled without novacaine than to be in that class.

5. Blah music.

6. The exercises aren't chaptered.

All in all, I like weight training and I like to go pretty heavy. I put on my own music and go at my own pace and I really do enjoy this set.
I agree with all of DeeDee's con's except for me the most annoying exerciser was the guy in Chest & Back who goes at breakneck speed. It is the first workout of the series, and the worst in terms of the speed issue. I rarely get irritated with background exercisers, but this guy appears to think there is a prize for finishing your reps first. I truly get angry at him while working out. Thankfully, he is only in one or two of the workouts.

The rest of the workouts are still quick but more manageable.

The Pros for me are:

1. Very quick and effective workouts.
2. The exercise selection is excellent. Lots of fun twists on moves you already know.
3. The sequencing of the workouts allow for some decent cardio effect while lifting heavy.

I don't think I could handle a full rotation of these workouts only, but I'm super happy with the set. It was a great buy last year for me when I had very little money to spend.
Old 01-31-12, 10:07 PM  
bfls

I'm on the last week of my S90 rotation and like this set a lot, so it has mainly pros for me although there are a few cons. I even ended up liking the blonde in the teeny tiny shorts (she grins in the warm up when Tom makes one of his signature comments which makes her seem quite human).

Overall, I've improved my strength and endurance, muscle definition and tone (no more jiggling!) and lost 1cm (just under half an inch) each from my waist, hip and thigh measurements. I didn't bother with the eating plan and I didn't make any changes to my diet.

Note, I haven't been doing the two cardio routines (Tabato Inferno and Cardio Challenge). Instead, I've subbed in other workouts (mainly step or kickboxing). I've done both of the cardio workouts and like them, but I'm skipping them this time round just for variety.

Pros

1. Each workout has a different subset of people doing it with the instructor walking around and (almost always) just instructing. Everyone goes at their own pace. I like this as it makes it feel like I'm attending a class, but it may not be to your taste.

2. The way the exercises are sequenced meant I got a decent cardio workout while making measurable improvements in my strength and endurance.

3. Every one of the weight workouts involves some work for the core, even when they aren't one of the 2 dedicated core workouts. As someone who has had dreadful sciatica I really appreciate having a strong core so this focus was really good for me. Again, your mileage may vary.

4. Almost all the workouts clock in around the 40 minute mark (one shorter - Core Dynamics, one longer - Chest, Shoulders & Tris).

Cons

1. You do the same warm up and cooldown/stretch on every DVD. By now I can quote them in my sleep.

2. A few more rehearsals and retakes wouldn't have gone amiss and made the final product a bit more polished. It's no biggy though as the part that mattered most to me (the planning and structure of the workouts) has been done carefully and professionally. However, given that one of the places where Tom forgets what is coming next and has to be reminded is in the warm up so you may find that ends up driving you nuts.

3. Everyone goes at their own pace, which is sometimes far too fast. Yes, you in the Chest and Back workout, I'm looking at you! Again, not a big drawback. I just picked weights with which I could just complete 12 reps with good form and hit pause as necessary, but it is a nuisance at times.

4. The stretch is too short and not thorough enough for me. I'm 46 and need to be more careful about stretching and recovery than when I was younger. By about halfway through the rotation I was getting niggling aches and pains that weren't going away. However, they did when I added 1 or 2 15-20 minute pure stretching routines each week.

5. The music is entirely forgettable.

Barbara
bfls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 10:40 PM  
MollyC

It moved too fast.
The guy leading it was obnoxious.

I put the set out on the sidewalk in front of my building with a Post-It that said "free," and it was gone within 30 minutes. It is someone else's problem now.
MollyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 02:51 PM  
Missylizzie

This is my favorite "system" I have done (and I have done them all).
Pros: Great cardio effect, perfect length, easy to listen to my own music, nice mixture of moves, Great results, DH likes them alot too, one of the best standing leg workouts I have ever done. Cons: they do move fast in the 1st workout (modify).
Missylizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 03:05 PM  
gigi

SP90 is MINT in my opinion. The con's I'm listing don't even bother me that much b/c of how little I paid for this set.

Pro's:
1. Like others have said, can't beat the low, low cost

2. The low cost allows me to be forgiving of the lower production values

3. In and out in less than an hour

4. Cardio effect

5. Just need weights and maybe a mat

6. Core and total body is worked

7. Some nice twists (nothing crazy though) on traditional weight work

Con's:
1. They move at a sometimes even frantically, fast pace but that is easily overcome by pausing and going at your own pace

2. Production values isn't a con for me b/c I paid at most $20 for the entire set

3. Sometimes the young blond gets on my nerves, purposely pulling her pants down, yes down as in lower

4. Not a lot of smiling
Old 02-01-12, 03:26 PM  
Hoodone

For me the gems of this set are the cardio (tabata and cardio challenge) and the ball core workout. I did not care for the strength ones, but to get three solid workouts out of a $20 set, that's pretty good. The arm and leg workouts are okay. It's really the chest/back one that's like, huh? Way too fast. Too bad it's the first one on the rotation because it probably leaves a lingering bad taste in lots of people's mouths.
Hoodone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
s90, supreme 90, supreme 90 day, tom holland