Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-21, 07:10 AM  
horusosiris

Hello All.

I am glad to hear of Chel's slow but steady progress but I know that she a difficult road ahead. She is indeed a tough Watulan!.

Kate- so sorry to hear about your son's health challenges. Even if I am unable to post very often these days, I want you to know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

My workout schedule has been very sporadic these days. This is so unusual for me as I am very consistent with my exercise regime. It is only temporary so I am not too concerned. Hopefully in July I can get back to a more regular schedule.

Take Care All and Stay Strong!
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-21, 11:51 AM  
Mickey12

Horusosirus it's good to hear from you. I hope you have been able to get together with your family. I recall how hard that was for you during the more restricted times of Covid. In my area we have gotten back to a lot more normal. Masks are no longer needed at my workplace, masks are no longer needed at my grocery store, etc.

Welcome back from vacation, Manley. You're a better Watulan than I for exercising as soon as you returned from vacation. I intended to exercise yesterday (we got home in the evening on Sunday), but chores and other things tired me out and I just ended up skipping my workout. I put in two good days of walking while we were in Florida, so I am counting those as workouts, but the other days were not very movement-filled. We had a spectacular time but I'm worn out. Vacation always makes me tired, not energized. But, we like to plan a lot and cram a lot in to make the most of the time, so I guess we're asking for it.

Kittybug sorry to hear your sick. I hope some well-deserved rest will help you recover quickly. And, sorry to bring it up, but none of us are as young as we used to be. I hope you can find what works for you so your hip isn't painful anymore. Didn't you say you had some issues when you were doing yoga a lot in the past? What a total bummer though, when you have a workout format that you love and your body doesn't want to cooperate.

Bee I understand your hesitancy in posting about the workouts and I also appreciate Cataddict's view. It always seems weird to be the first one to post about workouts when someone else posts with some serious news.

I also appreciate all of you and feel like you're friends.

Sending prayers to Kate and her son.
Old 06-15-21, 02:02 PM  
manleym

Kittybug I'm so sorry to hear you're sick and dealing with that hip pain again. UGH!! Take good care of yourself and get lots of rest. Keep us posted on how you're feeling.

Horusosirus good to hear from you. I'm glad you're busy schedule is only temporary and you'll hopefully be back to your more normal schedule starting July. Glad you are still posting.

Kim welcome back from Florida! I took a couple of walks on the beach and it was so nice. Also nice not to have to wear a mask the whole trip. Hubby and I are fully vaccinated and like you mentioned, so many places and states have lifted the mask requirements. I guess masks are still encouraged for those who are not vaccinated, but fully vaccinated people don't. I'm still playing catch up too between laundry, mail, etc. And yes, vacations can be exhausting! Hope you are rested.

Bee it is weird posting about workouts when there are some of us dealing with real life, hard issues. There's always that tension of "should I post or not?" and wanting to be sensitive. I honestly don't know the answer, but do know we are here to support and encourage each other however we can. And I'm glad you brought this up because I think we all feel this way.

Cataddict I just finished Total Body Trisets Lower Body and felt like a kid (or adult) when someone sees or smells something bad/gross and I say, "here, let me see/smell." That's what I thought of regarding the "trying out for the circus" move. Oh, and in response to your hubby's question, you should have said, "No, it's superhuman, kill-me Cathe." LOL!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-21, 02:23 PM  
manleym

Now the workouts.

Monday I did Circuit Blast but used 3 risers instead of 4. I have no idea how Cathe and crew were jumping on and off the step using 4 risers. But again, it is superhuman Cathe. I just didn't feel safe using 4 risers so 3 for me please! I haven't done this workout in awhile and loved the variety, no moves were repeated, the moves were not done for too long. I liked using weights, med ball and bands. It is a great workout that hits everything - cardio, strength, and core. I liked that Cathe & crew take breaks in this one. Seems like they take more breaks than in other workouts (no complaints here). Later I did Travis's 30min. Yin Yoga "PRE BEDTIME" which felt great for my lower body. I felt very relaxed and my lower body very stretched out. Good after a hard workout.

Today I did Total Body Trisets Lower Body, and like Cataddict said, it's tough! It moves quickly with little rest between sets. Since it moved quickly it had a metabolic feel to it. Cathe and crew were using heaving weights but I used lighter because of the speed of the reps and I didn't feel safe stepping on and off the step with 4 risers holding 15 lb dumbbells at Cathe's pace. (I used 12 lbs instead of 15). I don't have a ball so I did regular squats for the ball/wall squats and pull-ins with gliders instead of on the ball. I had my hips raised and alternated pulling my legs in. Next time I might keep my back on the floor, lift one leg like Cathe and pull in the other on the glider. I'm sure I don't get quite as much out of the moves since I don't have a ball but the sub moves worked just fine. As if this workout was not enough, I added on Lauren’s KB Challenge day 1. Thanks FOLV for the heads up! We did 100 KB swings and I was done after that! I liked Lauren and these will be great add-ons since each day is less than 10 minutes. I will probably do some of the days next week and space them out more than 7 days.

Hugs and waves everyone!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-21, 07:25 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hello friends,

Today was Afterburn. I would have substituted a Cathe Live but I didn't see a Live that seemed similar enough. This workout just kicks my butt. When Cathe says during the last interval "when you get better at this you can skip the explanation at the beginning of this move and add some extra reps," I'm wondering, When Will That Be? Twelfth of Never, I expect. Tomorrow I will be subbing in a Cathe Live kickbox for Rev'd Up Rumble since I just did that one in the last rotation.

manleym, I don't use 4 risers for Circuit Blast. First, I don't have 4 risers, and second, I'm just not using that high a step even if I did. I do match her weights but on a lower step height.

horusosiris, glad you checked in and are doing well.

Kim, welcome back from your trip! It sounds like one of ours. We try to pack in as much as we can in the time we have wherever we go so we need a vacation from the vacation when we get back! Oh and yes I've been feeling more my age since I developed the inflammation in my leg (which thankfully is gone). I probably also need to take a break from a Cathe rotation since I've done two in a row and she's tough, particularly the older workouts. I finish up March this week so I'll look at some alternatives.

Kate and Chele, you are never far from my thoughts.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-21, 08:53 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello Fierce Ones!

I'm sorry I've been MIA. Cataddict, it was nothing to do with your comments -- I think I felt them exactly in the spirit they were given and I appreciated it! I have just been busy.

Nice to hear about our gals who had a vacation -- nice! Kim, I always tend to lose weight on vacations because we are busy, I walk a lot, but mostly I don't have any time for boredom snacking. Sounds like you had a good, full time. manleym, I want to hear about that fish you caught! Sounds like a good time with family.

Oh that Lauren challenge idea makes my glutes hurt just thinking about it..... cataddict, I was honestly glad to know your body sometimes tells you to rest. This morning my body was almost telling me that, but I realized I haven't done a weight workout in quite a few days, so I did PHA 2. That's probably the easiest one of the bunch and my favorite. Probably not a coincidence.

I don't think I've posted about this, but the other day I did Brent's Patience practice from ID -- I got his name right, didn't I? I can't remember if it was Kim or manleym who mentioned him. I think maybe whoever it was said they had tried Determination and really liked it. Well, somehow I thought Patience might be easier. I don't know how Determination is, but Patience seemed quite hard to me. A whole lot of plank and side plank work in various balancing positions. But it was nice to have done a full yoga practice again. I definitely need to work it in more.

kittybug I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well! I hope you knock down that virus, or whatever it is, quickly and I hope you can figure out the hip/IT band problem -- that sounds like it could be painful. You should probably take it a bit easy for a while.

I may have told you that I'm off to visit my sister on Friday -- first time seeing her in almost two years, I think. I cannot wait. I am helping her with a lavender festival they are having, so it's going to be a lot of work in the heat, but I'm going to be so happy to spend time with her.

Sending big hugs out to all of you fierce ones.
Old 06-15-21, 10:19 PM  
fanofladyvols

bee we always have GREAT plant sales at our lavender festival. Have fun!!

kim Glad you're back!! Whenever I get back from vacay, I have to get my house in order. I never have energy for a workout afterwards like manley.

horusosiris sporadic happens. I hope it all gets more calm in your world.

cataddict I think messing with workout manager is my new favorite thing to piddle in my phone while in line..haha. After this month, I will take a break from Cathe for a couple of weeks, too. Just to keep my body feeling Gucci.

manley when I do circuit blast, I won't be using more than the platform. And those hop up jumps may stay on the floor. Low key city for me baby!!

kittybug sending you some hugs and wishes that you give yourself a great big gulp sized pour from the TLC bucket!!

Cathe rotating jumping jack waves to lavna and Garrie!

Prayers for ChelePA and Kate!!

Today was Day 2 swing challenge and Cathe's Xtrain Hard strikes. She has some funnies in this one, lol. "get...those...aggressions..out!"

And Jumping jack flash!! Hard strikes has a lot of turn and jacks.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 11:24 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Hi all, I finally found some time.
I'll just say that son is ok. Liver blockage was removed and stint put in. Kidneys functioning again. However they found a tiny tumor on his pancreas and it is cancerous.
But it's very tiny and the whole team of doctors wants him to get his heart in tip top condition before they do the surgery. I guess they feel there is a little time.
So one more gigantic hurdle. So much for 2021 being a little better but one does NOT GIVE UP!
And I have kickboxing to work out stress. ;-)

I missed a couple of workouts and Yoga days but still meditating every day. I did Cathe and Les Mills last week.
This week:
Mon: Nothing - was at the hospital all day
Tues: Cathe CTX Upper Body Mix (GOOD STUFF) and Bryan Kest Ever so Peaceful Flow on Poweryoga.com
Today I did Cathe Live 159 Cathe’s Birthday Bash. FUN!!!! I needed that. I had actually done this one back in 2017 when I subscribed but I just bought the download and glad I did. Love the mix of kickboxing and floor cardio.

So.....I'm sorry to have missed so many posts but everyone continues to be fierce. I am channeling every bit of fierce I can muster! Especially driving through North Minneapolis! The hospital is 2 blocks from where George Floyd was killed and they still have demonstrations!
Oh yeah and right at the start of rush hour! Holy frijoles!! Glad I live rural.

Take care all..going back to read some posts. And thank you all for your prayers and kind words!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 06:40 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Kate, thanks for checking in with the update. So much tough and scary news. Many {{hugs}} to you and your family. I agree with your thinking that the doctors must believe there is time to wait for surgery, but I can't imagine how hard it must be to wait. Check in when you can.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 07:00 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello......

Kate, I'm glad you were able to update us as I'm sure we've all been worried about the situation! That is scary news but it sounds like he is getting good care (even if it is treacherous getting to him!). I'm glad to see you have been meditating daily as I'm sure that helps you get through these challenging times! Hang in there, fierce friend!

I heard on This American Life, I believe it was, about a gas station where George Floyd was murdered, that has shutdown since all of that and now it seems to be a permanent memorial/protest spot. The woman who is sort of in charge of it is somehow related to him and it sounds like she wants it to be a positive place where anyone who has lost a loved one in a violent way can come and have a space to be/grieve/remember/heal.

cataddict, I did Afterburn today and definitely thought of you when she made the comment about "next time start right away". I remember it standing out in my mind the last time I did this workout (with the same reaction as you had!). I definitely modified some moves. It is a tough workout, but with my modifications definitely doable and I really like that it doesn't need the step. Sometimes I really don't want to deal with the step. In fact, I want to try Athletic Training again but I couldn't face it this morning -- partly the step and partly it looked even harder than Afterburn!

It's finally hot here. We have been pretty low energy here. Miraculously all four of us were here early this afternoon and started playing a card game but it fizzled out fairly quickly because someone doesn't like to lose. The game that we were playing needs at least four. Oh well -- it was fun for a bit. I can't even remember the name of it -- some Russian card game.

Thanks, Linda! I'm sure it'll be a fun weekend. Only lavender as far as plant sales but there are lots of activities including a "kid zone" with a bunch of things. I'm guessing that even though it's going to be two very hot days, they will fly by.

Waves and hugs to all you fierce ones!

Tags
watulan check-in