Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-19, 09:25 AM  
Gams

Now you guys even have me interested in this one and I haven’t had much luck with Denise’s workouts. I think she looks great and I like her voice. I think my problem with her workouts has been her cuing. I had one Pilates workout by her that I liked, but I didn’t care much for the free workout that came with my AARP membership. I will keep my eye on this thread for more details. I don’t want to spend $60 on workouts and then never use them.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-19, 05:13 PM  
Demeris

Aaaaaarrrrrrgh! Lifefit 360 just came up on my facebook feed. I have NEVER been able to deal with Denise Austin. Her voice grates like bad brakes--it makes my dental work vibrate.

But this looks so good. Am I emotionally and spiritually mature enough to get past this and see what is valuable and good in what she has to offer?

Oy!
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-19, 06:09 PM  
Gams

After viewing more clips, I’ve decided I was right not to order. Looks like cuing is still bad and apparently bad cuing is genetic because her daughter can’t seem to cue, either. Also, saw moments of not keeping time to the music - that would have driven me insane. I made the right decision.
Old 06-20-19, 06:18 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I didn't get my 360 set yet, but today I did one of her older workouts (but new to me) The 3 Week Bootcamp and it kicked my butt! Good combo of cardio strength and athletic training in two 20min workouts. I liked it! I've only ever done 1 or 2 of Denise's DVDs in the past and wasn't particularly interested in her as an instructor. This time it's different - I like her! She's got some quirks like so-so last-minute cueing and some moves are fast, but the workouts are solid and enjoyable. I haven't signed up for her trial membership yet but may do so at a later date.
Old 06-20-19, 07:21 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

my DH always makes a comment about DA being offbeat from the music if he happens to be passing by.

I have a feeling that the music is dubbed in later "as is" without editing it to match the moves.

for example, Hip Hop Abs with Shaun T - your only options are music regular or louder, and their moves are in time with the music. if it were in fact dubbed in later, you might have the option of "music off," which is aligned with my thought they record the workout WITH the music going on so that the moves are synced up.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 03:05 PM  
Gams

Looks like 3 of the workouts in this set are ones from the free DVD I got from renewing my AARP membership.
Old 06-23-19, 03:17 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I got my set yesterday and did Walk with Me this morning - 36m. It was OK, but the "music" was pretty bad, to the point that even I noticed it and I'm not especially picky when it comes to things like that as long as the workout gets me moving. Denise was definitely off the beat here but it may be because the music was so non-descript and bland. Tomorrow I'm planning to do Tone with Me. There is a large variety of both cardio and toning workouts in this set and even after doing the first workout that didn't inspire me, I still think that this set will have a place in my collection. I'm looking forward to doing other workouts and I don't regret buying the set.
Old 06-23-19, 07:53 PM  
Gams

Shape Up With Me, Walk With Me and Simple Stretching Yoga are the three that are also on the AARP DVD.
Old 06-23-19, 07:57 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Shape Up With Me, Walk With Me and Simple Stretching Yoga are the three that are also on the AARP DVD.
Hey, it's a freebie just for renewing your AARP, so you can't go wrong with it! Enjoy! I have never joined AARP. Is it worth it to you personally?

ETA: You're right! It's Shape up with Me, and not Tone with me. Either way, that's the workout I'm planning to do tomorrow. Shape Up With Me is classified as Level 1 workout. I'm planning to do this one tomorrow.
Old 06-23-19, 08:16 PM  
Gams

Let us know what you think of Shape Up With Me. I haven’t tried it yet.

I know others disagree, but I LOVE AARP. The membership fee is cheap and I’ve used the membership for lots of discounts. Also, their newsletter and magazine are way better than any other magazine I get. Lots of useful information.

Tags
denise austin, denise austin 360, denise austin befit, denise austin lifefit, lifefit, lifefit 360