Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-17, 01:12 PM  
Libby

Turbo Jam Type Workouts

I love Turbo Jam!! Are there any other instructors that have similar type workouts with good music?
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 02:31 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Similar in what way? Dancy kickboxing? Good music? Let us know which elements of it you're looking for in other workouts and we'll try...though off the top of my head I can't think of anything!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 02:34 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i acquired the TJ add-ons after a friend gave me the basic set. there's a 30-min TJ live workout that is really good - Booty Sculpt + Abs.

i like shaun t's hip hop abs. good music, easy to follow, fun. he cues really good too. goofy like Chalene in some ways.

if you like TJ because of Chalene, you might like her CLX - it's a weights or bands series, but has a few cardio workouts in it. her TF wasn't very enjoyable - i sold it to a co-worker.

if it's the kickboxing aspect of TJ, nothing comes to mind except maybe Kathy Smith's kickboxing workout. Kathy's project you cardio workouts are good, but they're not all kickboxing. i tried getting into Tae Bo several times, but i just couldn't.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 02:50 PM  
Libby

I like a variety of moves, more dancing than kickboxing. Just like the fun music and working out with Chalene.
Old 03-16-17, 03:10 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby View Post
I like a variety of moves, more dancing than kickboxing. Just like the fun music and working out with Chalene.
you might like Zumba - specifically, the ones where Beto leads.

if it's dancing you like, you might enjoy Yoga Booty Ballet. it's hard to classify YBB, it's cheesy, but enjoyable in a way.

i recently acquired WW Ultimate Dance Party with Ilyse Baker. i really like this set - if you have a Burlington Coat Factory nearby or a Tuesday Morning, they're going for $8.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 05:06 PM  
sherry7899

Libby, if you like dancing and Chalene, you may like her Hip Hop Hustle workouts. I have a couple of her fan volumes (six and seven) for sale on VF Roost (if it's not okay to say that, please let me know I will delete it). There are also some on ebay and Amazon.

I love the Soul Sweat dance workouts from Alchemy of Movement on powhow.com. They are live classes which have been filmed. You can stream and download them. The styles vary by teacher and class, but there are different elements of dance in each class which include modern, hip hop, jazz, bollywood, African, a bit of ballet and bellydance. You learn choreography for each song and move on-no endless TIFT'ing.

I am a total dance klutz, but the music persuaded me to try them out. I've been using them regularly for about four times a week, and I've gotten a lot better at picking up the moves. Some of them are space hogs, so I need to improvise, but for most of them you don't need a huge space. I find the classes led by Lucy (co-owner of the Alchemy of Movement studio) have the easiest to pick up choreography. There are eight classes led by Chantal, the creator of Soul Sweat. I enjoy all the teachers, though. The teacher named Erin has the most bollywood /bellydance influences in her classes. There is one class based on NIA by an instructor named Carolynne. There are classes titled "World Heat" by Sarah Jane. She uses a little profanity, so if that bothers you, just a friendly warning if you have kids around when you exercise.

The best way to try them out since there are over 130 classes is to use the code on powhow.com to sign up for your first month for half price, which would make it $25.00 for the month. Otherwise they are sold individually for around $9.00 a class . They don't give much of a description, so it is really hard to pick which ones to buy individually.

The music is great, depending on your taste . They do use reggae, African and hip hop, and actual songs (not covers) from Beyonce, (though if they use "Halo" one more time..) Adele, Sia, Florence and the Machine, The Eurthymics,Matisyahu, Amy Winehouse, Jay-Z, Sarah McLachlan, Hozier, Sting, Peter Gabriel, John Legend, Sam Smith, Copldplay, Prince, Lady Gaga, The Bangles, Janet Jackson, Alicia Keys, Mazzy Star, etc.

The timing of them averages between 55 minutes to 75 minutes. I save the longer ones for the weekend. Some of the teachers are better than others about lower impact modifications.

If you have any questions about them, please feel free to pm me.

I am a total music geek-can you tell -so having music I enjoy makes the workouts very enjoyable. I've gotten back into reggae music and bought a bunch of other cds since using these workouts.

I apologize for rambling, but I am so happy to have these workouts. I've had trouble finding cardio I can do with chronic pain issues (love kickboxing, but can't do it much because of neck/shoulder issues). I can do these without any pain.

I also like that Lucy donates 10% of the sales from powhow.com to Dance to be Free, which is a organization she started. She teaches dance to women who are incarcerated in prisons in Colorado and Nebraska.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 01:28 PM  
Libby

Turbo Jam type workouts

I forgot about Christi Taylor. Her workouts are a lot of fun too. I like Hi-Lo Heaven and Still Jumpin'. She's got a lot of other good ones too.
Old 03-17-17, 01:45 PM  
bearcatfan

Chalene also has Turbo Fire. I love those!
Old 03-17-17, 04:01 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Re: Soul sweat on powhow, that first month with the special would be $49, plus downloading individual classes would be an add'l $9 each?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 04:08 PM  
sherry7899

Gina- no it would be $25 for one month the first month you sign up. During that month you can download whatever you want. If you do not sign up for a month or three months you pay individually for each class. That is why I try to wait until there are a lot of new to me classes to sign up for a month. Please pm me if you have questions.
When you sign up for a month you have access to all the classes posted. Just make sure to cancel two or three days before your month is up.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
turbo jam, turbo jam live