Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-17, 02:28 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Does anyone use an iPod Touch?

This is not completely off-topic. Currently, I have an old 3rd generation iPod that I use for music when I teach yoga. Unfortunately, I think it is dying. I can still play music off it (either with speakers or headphones), but it is no longer being recognized by any one of my computers and will not sync with iTunes. I can't access my music, add music, make any updates/changes to playlists, etc.

I don't have a smart phone, so that is not an option. I will likely purchase a new Apple brand product, as I am hoping that the Apple store can rescue my data. The iPod Nano would work for me, but the iPod touch is only $50 more. It's called "the iPhone without the phone," which probably would be go for no one except someone like me! Since my only internet device is a laptop that I don't carry around with me, it would be nice to have something that has wireless internet access in addition to meeting my music needs.

Any thoughts? Does this seem like the right choice for me? DH is resistant (he doesn't have a smart phone either); he doesn't like the idea of adding a device. Help me convince him!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 03:59 PM  
sciencelady

I use the iPod Touch in place of a phone for most of my needs. I do have the most current version and use it for my music, exercise videos when I travel, camera shots, email, and wireless internet access to apps. It's great for keeping up when I travel. I like the size and the quality of it. I did have an older iPod that shut down and wasn't connectable any more also . I did have a backup of all my content on the old iPod on my computer that transferred to the new iPod just fine. I'm not a fan of cell phones so miss nothing regarding that, including the fees.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 05:18 PM  
msu

I also have an iPod touch, but do not have a smart phone. (DH has a flip phone, while I have a bottom end tracfone.) I love my iPod touch, and have had it a year and a half. I got it on the Apple website refurbished, which allowed me to get twice the memory capacity for a lower price than the baseline new iPod touch. The only thing I regret paying more for was the version that has Siri, which I find to be useless most of the time. I didn't have music transfer problems as this was my first iPod purchase. I love having many of the perks of a smartphone, without a smartphone bill every month. I pooled some birthday gift money together to purchase it, as it isn't a purchase that would appeal to my spouse. I'm very slow to warm up to new costly technology, but I haven't regretted the purchase and if this one conks out on me, I'll buy another one.
msu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 05:47 PM  
marki64

I have nothing to add other than I thought I was the only one that didn't have a smart phone. I like my tablet. It's easier to see. I still text on a pull out keyboard. People at work poke fun at me.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 07:43 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks so much for the replies!

sciencelady, your situation sounds similar to mine. I wish I had my data backed up--I could reload all the music, it's the playlists (which I've spent hours developing for my yoga classes!) that I don't want to lose! I could find a way to back them up b/c my music was saved in different places.

msu, both DH & I have flip phones that we put minutes on for the year and that's it. Since we don't have kids, we keep them turned off most of the time--we really only use them as needed. DH works from home, so he doesn't see the need for anything else, but I really miss having an internet connection when I'm at work, shopping, etc. I don't need Siri either.

marki, there are definitely others here without smartphones! I think we had at least 2-3 on my checkin. People at work make fun of me too for "texting" via email (there is a way to do it if you know someone's mobile carrier).

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 01-22-17, 07:48 PM  
michl43

I have an iPod touch and use it with wifi, or to play music/iTunes as wifi is not needed. I don't know if it is available with cellular but I suppose it is. I had a flip phone and just last year got an iPhone. I really like my iPhone, but for music mostly use my iPod touch because I Have more music on it and so as not to use my iPhone battery up and conserve space. If you are happy with your cell and can get cellular data service on your iPod touch so you can have internet out and about , I would say that's a good decision, if the data service is not too expensive.
michl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 07:53 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

michl43, we may have cross-posted--I don't need cell service (I have a flip phone that I hardly use, and that's enough for me). There's no cellular option with the iPod Touch and no monthly data service fee, which is part of what appeals to me about it.

I would mainly be using the iPod touch to play and organize music for my weekly yoga classes. I am hoping that if I go to an Apple store, they will be able to transfer all my files from my existing older iPod. For me, the advantage of getting an iPod Touch (rather than an iPod Nano) would be to have wireless data service and a camera; I don't have these things on my flip phone.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 01-22-17, 07:55 PM  
michl43

Then an iPod touch would be a good decision, definitely. I really like mine.
michl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 07:56 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks! DH seems to be more open to the idea. I'm going to send him the specs.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 01-23-17, 05:14 AM  
bearcatfan

Do you have an icloud account? I would think your music and even your playlists might be backed up there easily.

Tags
ipod, ipod nano, ipod touch, mp3 players