Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-07-17, 05:14 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Arm Workout Recommendations - like Karen Voight GWW?

Hi everyone,

I've had Karen Voight's Great Weighted Workout for years, and in the past month or so have been using it for arms big time - at least twice a week. The 20 minute segment uses light weights (I use 4#) and there are non stop high rep exercises that burn out the shoulders, triceps, biceps, back, and chest. You hold the weights the entire time and just jump from one exercise to the next - there is literally no down time. The reps are slow enough to feel the burn and use 4# weights and have good form but fast enough that there are a lot of reps, and the music is fun.

With the consistency of GWW, I've finally realized some slimness in my arms, which is genetically a big trouble zone for me. I already discovered that barre/Tonique work for my lower body, and pilates/HoCo works for my abs, Dream Body is good for overall work, and I think GWW will work for my arms. Are there any other workouts - old or new - that work your arms quite like GWW? High rep, intense, for about 15-30 minutes and work ALL the upper body muscles (tricep, bicep, back, shoulders, and chest)? I feel like most barre workouts completely neglect bicep and back, and GWW is a little more athletic than the 'teeny tiny' reps that barre has to offer. Is there anything that might work for me?

Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Old 01-07-17, 06:35 PM  
Tugger31

A similar workout is Jackie Warner's 30 Day Fast Start. I skip the leg portions. She moves a bit too fast for me, so I have ended up pausing the dvd but that's not a big deal for me.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-17, 07:00 PM  
videofit

Margaret Richard's Sculpture. I think it's her toughest workout, especially upper body which I sometimes can't finish. Start with weights lighter than you think you need especially for deltoids. Found clip on youtube. Not all exercises are shown, unfortunately. She works each muscle group twice. She makes it look too easy!

Looks like the DVDs are on sale for $17 till midnight Sunday. She also offers digital downloads.

Her website
Old 01-07-17, 07:36 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I'm a new fan of Hamelin's arm workouts (all high rep, low weight.) I've done his new Blitzmatics body toning workout which will leave DOMS in your arms for days using 2 lb weights.

http://hamelindabellmethod.tictail.c...ct/blitzmatics

The other one I tried today was his Cardio Tone G (General) which works the arms/shoulders good, as well! It also has some great music!

http://hamelindabellmethod.tictail.c...tone-g-general

I'm guessing his Bodymatics workout would be similar, but haven't tried this one yet!

He doesn't have DVDs for purchase. After payment he provides you with a link via email that is private and you can view the workouts with youtube or vimeo with unlimited access. You can also download the workouts and make your own DVDs.

Some of his stuff reminds a bit of Tracy Anderson, for comparison.

ETA:here is a preview of his Blitzmatic workout. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRPTWxoiMZk

He also has something on youtube called Armatics taster and a 23 minute arms/shoulders workout so you can try him out for free! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn6EsfPl6Jc and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLp2N8RYbOE

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-17, 07:42 PM  
bfit

There's a Cathe F workout called High Reps that you might like.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-17, 08:35 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

one of Jari's workouts is really high rep for arms. i can't remember which one it is.

GWW is a very unique workout. most people praise it for the LB floor work.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-17, 11:46 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Tugger I actually have Jackie Warner's 30 Day Fast Start and I remember how intense it was for the arms. Thanks for the reminder to pull this one out!

Videofit I've always been curious about Margaret Richards, I love old retro workouts (classic Firm, etc.) so I would bet her style would be right up my alley. I'm glad you suggested her toughest workout, I may take advantage of her special!

Pam61 I've never really given HDM a decent try, even though his stuff seems like it would fit my tastes - I do really enjoy TA. In fact, I really like her Mat arm workout, but the last time I did it I tweaked my shoulder and that really spooked me. I'd done it before and never had a problem with it, maybe I should give it another try. I do love the burnout.

bfit I really like Cathe although I don't have tons of her workouts, I've eyed her High Reps DVD before but it didn't really seem 'high rep' in the traditional sense. I'll have to give this one another look.

bzar Jari is another that I've never really explored although it seems like her high rep style would appeal to me. She has TONS of DVDs out now, I think years ago I had her Get Ripped Core or something. If anyone can think of a workout where she separates her upper and lower body (or offers a premix) I'm all ears! By the way, I agree about GWW, people really do praise the lower body chapter - in fact the entire DVD is amazing and unique. I've tried some of Karen's other DVDs but none of them seem as intense or unique as GWW.

If anyone else has recommendations please let me know!
Old 01-08-17, 03:37 AM  
Elsie

I think Barlates/Linda's Reverse UB Pyramid is one of the best for burning/repping out the upper body. I don't think it is quite the same as GWW though. It is pyramid & not traditional high rep, but it will BURN and really firm your arms up.
Cathe Muscle Endurance would fit the bill of what you are looking for, I think.
Elsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-17, 04:44 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

ok - the last time i did a jari rotation was several months ago, but i have a spreadsheet with the minutes of UB, LB and combo UB/LB - this was from the old Collage catalogs.

the ones with the most min for pure UB work are as follows:
Get Ripped & Chiseled (39), released 2007
Get Extremely Ripped & Chiseled (39), released 2012
Slim & Lean (31), released 2006

another workout:

Hour of Power by Rajko Radovic (says it's PAL region 0, so not sure if it'll play in a region 1 machine - i have a multi-region machine)

Hour of Power is unique (clip). Here's a thread where several VFers posted about it which is how i found out about it, and i purchased it from Amazon UK. the main workout is around 40 min, and you're jogging with light weights. it sounds high impact, but i did mine on the rebounder.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-17, 06:59 AM  
bearcatfan

The arms section of Tracy Anderson's original Mat Workout will make you weep.

There is unweighted and weighted. I have yet to make it through both sections without breaks. It's a burner.

Tags
great weighted workout, margaret richard, rajko radovic