Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-04-21, 05:11 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Does such a workout exist?

Here's what I'm looking for. I want to keep my reps in the 10 to 12 range because I'm trying to build muscle. I'm not totally weak, but weaker than I'd like to be after a serious illness (not Covid). However I want a total body workout.

There are lots of total body high rep workouts, but not many in that rep range. Most of the dvds I have in that rep range are split routines. The problem I have with split routines is that something comes up and I miss out on one of the workouts, and get behind.

I'd be willing to consider a 2 day split that I could combine as long as it wasn't longer than an hour. I could always do abs on another day. So far I've been working out on my own, but I'd really like a dvd to follow. I have an old TV (which I hope to change when the budget allows) so I don't think you tube would work at this time.

Grateful for any suggestions.
Old 10-04-21, 05:41 AM  
Tugger31

I just did Cathe's LITE PHA2 a few weeks ago and she does 12 reps for many exercises in this workout. I can't remember off hand if the first PHA is 12 reps. Her Strong & Sweaty Giant Sets may also be 12 reps, but not sure, but I can certainly check that out if you're interested!

STS Total Body is done with trisets, the first round is 16 reps, the second round is 12 reps. You could simply do 12 for both rounds.

Cathe's LITE Pyramid Pump has two Total Body Premixes one using the "up" pyramid and one using the "down" pyramid, reps are 12-10-8. I used this one alot and not change my weights at all just do 3 sets with the same weight. So that's a thought.

Here is a PHA2 review that includes rep counts...

https://www.fitnessmystyle.com/post/...the-lite-pha-2
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-21, 08:47 AM  
laurajhawk

I love Get Fit at 40+ by James ... something-or-other ... OK, James Crossley: https://smile.amazon.com/Get-James-C...3355038&sr=8-1

It's 3 sets per move (supersetted) @ 10 reps per set. I generally do just the warmup, Full Body Workout, and cool down, which is about 40 minutes total; there are some other chapters you can add too - Core, Hiit, and Back Stretch.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-21, 10:26 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

If you're willing to go with just eight reps, Kelly's Muscle Up is good for strength. There are three premixes that are total body. They are:

Full Body Workout (Both workouts and abs) - 67 minutes
Shorter Full Body Workout (2 sets of all exercises) - 49 minutes
Muscle Up First Set Pump (1 set of all exercises) - 29 minutes

There are also two premixes that I think are total body - Quick Super Set Fix 1 & 2, that are 37 and 35 minutes long.

A few exercises, such as the ab work and a couple of others, are more than eight reps. I do modify some of her biceps work, because some of her biceps exercises tend to tweak my joints.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-21, 04:37 PM  
Gardengirl

Jane, we’ve been talking about Kaleigh Cohen on YouTube in a thread I started about Barre3 and traditional weights. She has a full body superset workout that’s between 12-14 reps, 30 minutes. I’ve looked for a workout like this for a long time.
Check her out!
Hope that helps.
Oops, sorry! Didn’t see that YouTube wasn’t an option!
Old 10-05-21, 08:21 AM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Here's what I'm looking for. I want to keep my reps in the 10 to 12 range because I'm trying to build muscle. I'm not totally weak, but weaker than I'd like to be after a serious illness (not Covid). However I want a total body workout.

There are lots of total body high rep workouts, but not many in that rep range. Most of the dvds I have in that rep range are split routines. The problem I have with split routines is that something comes up and I miss out on one of the workouts, and get behind.

I'd be willing to consider a 2 day split that I could combine as long as it wasn't longer than an hour. I could always do abs on another day. So far I've been working out on my own, but I'd really like a dvd to follow. I have an old TV (which I hope to change when the budget allows) so I don't think you tube would work at this time.

Grateful for any suggestions.
Keeping Fit in Your 50's has 2 sets of 10 repetitions. You can skip the 2nd set until you build up your strength. I'm providing a review from the forum, but I think it's rather harsh. I enjoyed the workout.http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...ew.php?id=5071

Canyon Ranch: Strong & Sculpted performs each rep 8-12 times. The scenery is fabulous. http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...ew.php?id=4203

I will go through some more workouts and see if I can remember others later. I've got to take my daughter to the airport soon :-)
Old 10-05-21, 11:44 PM  
laurawd

Cathe OnDemand and Live Push-Pull may fit your needs. Or, do 2 total body strength workouts via an App such as Aaptiv...(I know you asked for DVD but I have forgotten which ones have what you need... ! Sorry.) There are a TON of good programs out there if you can follow your phone/device, instead of DVD.
laurawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-21, 10:42 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I just want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I will look into all of them.

Tags
total body low rep