Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-21, 01:54 PM  
TracyQ

Hot and Flashy is moving. She did a moving, packing and purging vlog. I haven’t watched it but it may be helpful or at least entertaining.

https://youtu.be/qDT8jzZZyHs

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 03:17 PM  
BunnyHop

Reading these replies reminds me that I used the same moving company to get myself from my old home town in central MS to NC, then some years later from NC to my current home town on the Gulf Coast. When I left NC, I got rid of a LOT. (including a dining room table and a ton of chairs) The movers tried to claim my second load weighed more than the estimate, but I had the itemized receipt from the first move (detailing what was in the load, item by item) and could prove that I actually had less stuff, so their inflated weight estimate (on delivery in MS) didn't make sense.

The first move, the actual guys doing the work were great, very professional and helpful. The second? Ugh. Attitude for days. At least nothing major got broken.

Currently downsizing like mad, but still unsure what to do about my antique furniture. Love it, but do I want to haul it around with me the rest of my life?? Hate the thought that an antique dealer/estate auction might rip me off.
Old 07-08-21, 11:16 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
Hot and Flashy is moving. She did a moving, packing and purging vlog. I haven’t watched it but it may be helpful or at least entertaining.

https://youtu.be/qDT8jzZZyHs
Thanks! She'll need a whole pod for all her beauty supplies, gadgets and wardrobe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Currently downsizing like mad, but still unsure what to do about my antique furniture. Love it, but do I want to haul it around with me the rest of my life?? Hate the thought that an antique dealer/estate auction might rip me off.
That's a dilemma!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-21, 03:40 PM  
ellaenchanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! And the experiences, both good and bad.

We're looking at the Reno /Tahoe area.

The housing market is nuts right now. My SIL bought a home in another sate. She didn't want to sell her current home right away, so put it on the market at an inflated price. She had three offers within a few days and ended up selling quickly.

Luckily, the DH was a Teamster and we have a flat bed trailer. We can do some of the moving by ourselves. The new area would only be about 6 hours away.

You are all very right that I need to go through things now. I wish I had more energy!
Start decluttering now, especially large items. It is very worth it to hire a junk removal company because mant will offer packages where they move all the stuff so you don't have to carry any boxes or loose items. Then, you will know how much you actually need to move to your new home.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-21, 08:26 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsim View Post
In March my husband and I relocated from Long Island, NY to Sonoma county CA. The biggest thing we learned was that with an interstate move it can take up to 3 weeks to get your household goods.
We hopped on a plane and flew to San Francisco, then rented a car and drove about 90 minutes to our new house. This was on March 17th - well surprise our furniture did not arrive until April 2nd. Long story short, we needed an air mattress, small camping table and a number of other items to see us through until we got our stuff.
The move was very expensive as we had to relocate our home furnishings, 2 cars and 3 pets.
The good thing is I'm glad we moved out of NY this year. Property taxes have increased quite a bit this year due to school taxes and reassessments. I heard that everyone back there is complaining and moving.
We are neighbors now!! Let me know how you're liking Sonoma County and if you have any questions.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-21, 08:29 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

When we decided to leave HI after 20 years in our relatively small condo, it took MONTHS of sorting, selling, donating/giving away, and finally shipping in boxes the few things we decided to keep. We didn't ship anything large as trans-Pacific shipping is ridiculous, so we got down to do I need this or can I replace it for less once we move. I did keep some sentimental things I now wish I hadn't paid to keep, and left some things behind that I wish I'd shipped. But it's something that takes time and some mental adjustment. The sooner you start, even if it's just giving the hairy eyeball to your stuff, the better.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-21, 11:16 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

We have not relocated lately, but have done multiple out-of-state moves in the last fifteen years. I also moved many times when I was growing up.

You'd think I would learn from past experiences....about getting rid of all the stuff. Both DH and I are "collectors" of various things, so even though I decluttered some, it wasn't enough. On our moves we took many heavy items with us....books, bookshelves, board games, DVDs, furniture, etc....the list goes on. We hired movers, but because our relocation (the first time) was work related we were reimbursed for some or most of the costs. The next move was much more expensive and our moving truck was HUGE, and had to travel 3,000 miles.

I am only now starting to really tackle the decluttering with any serious effort, after living in my current home for eight years. There are still a few boxes that are hidden away, that I still need to go through. But we have so many large furniture items that need to be donated/sold.

To make a long story short, it's best to prepare by getting rid of anything you think you can live without ahead of time. It will make the move and settling into your new home so much easier on you, as moving is very stressful!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-21, 11:31 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
We have not relocated lately, but have done multiple out-of-state moves in the last fifteen years. I also moved many times when I was growing up.

You'd think I would learn from past experiences....about getting rid of all the stuff. Both DH and I are "collectors" of various things, so even though I decluttered some, it wasn't enough. On our moves we took many heavy items with us....books, bookshelves, board games, DVDs, furniture, etc....the list goes on. We hired movers, but because our relocation (the first time) was work related we were reimbursed for some or most of the costs. The next move was much more expensive and our moving truck was HUGE, and had to travel 3,000 miles.

I am only now starting to really tackle the decluttering with any serious effort, after living in my current home for eight years. There are still a few boxes that are hidden away, that I still need to go through. But we have so many large furniture items that need to be donated/sold.

To make a long story short, it's best to prepare by getting rid of anything you think you can live without ahead of time. It will make the move and settling into your new home so much easier on you, as moving is very stressful!
Most of the furniture will be tossed. After 20+ years of cat barf and scratching, I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

I did a recent book purge and need to do it again. My DVDs (fitness and movie), however, are sacrosanct and will go with me wherever I go.

Personally, I can live without any and all kitchen items except for the microwave. I'm sure the spouse will make me bring them though...

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
off topic, relocating, retirement locations