Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-21, 07:29 PM  
wendug

I don't get tired of working out at home. However, I do want to get back to swimming laps some day, and I'll have to find a gym with a pool to be able to do so.
Old 10-25-21, 08:21 PM  
Sollamyn

No. I do go through phases where take advantage of fine weather and head outdoors for walks and hikes, but I never go through "Gee, I wish I was at the gym" phases. With at-home workouts I can workout whenever I want, wear whatever I want, I don't have to get ready to go out anywhere or drive anywhere. That saves a lot of time! Before retirement, I did my workouts early in the morning before work. There's no way I could have kept a regular workout schedule if I depended on gym workouts. I would have had to pack my work clothes, makeup, etc., and shower at the gym everyday. What a hassle! I don't know how people do that sort of thing all the time.

Donna
Old 10-25-21, 08:41 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Yes. I just taught my first solo fitness retreat this past weekend and it was wonderful. I'm tired of virtual everything. It's been so great to do some in person classes. I miss interacting with people.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-21, 08:53 PM  
DCW

Today my zoom didn't work and so we "old schooled it" and used our office phones.

I miss in person classes.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-21, 06:12 AM  
geojill

Yes. In fact, I just signed up for a membership with Planet Fitness yesterday because I want to work on strength but can’t get into any of my dumbbell workouts and want to use the machines. I have a rebounder that I love and do yoga at home. If I use the weight machines 2x/week, it’s worth the cheap fee. I have an appointment with a trainer today to set up a workout plan and my beginning weight levels.
Old 10-26-21, 08:35 AM  
laurajhawk

I don't really want to do strength and cardio anywhere but home, but I do love studio yoga classes. Interestingly, during the lockdown and worst parts of the pandemic when I wasn't going out at all, I didn't want to do my yoga DVDs AND I didn't want to do streaming with my DVD instructors even though there were some great instructors offering free or affordable streaming. I did streaming with my studio teacher and felt like I was staying connected to my little yoga community that way - we'd chat on Zoom before and after class.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-21, 07:27 PM  
buffmama

In a word no. But I can imagine retiring and becoming a gym rat.
Old 10-26-21, 10:28 PM  
DCW

When time changes I may go back to my local rec center gym after work. It's usually just me in the workout room when I went in the summer.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-21, 07:44 AM  
Venus

I've gotten tired of working out and have also wished I had someone to work out with. But I enjoy working out at home for similar reasons others have stated: convenience, comfort, practicality. I joined the YMCA several years ago and had fun trying out different classes and enjoyed working out with other people, but I also felt self-conscious at times. After a while, it was more of a hassle than fun going to the gym and the class times weren't always convenient. It did help me appreciate working out at home. If you're tired of working out at home, it may be helpful to take classes. You may enjoy it or you may appreciate working out at home again When I lack motivation at home, it is helpful to try a different rotation, instructor, or type of workout.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-21, 12:07 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I think we all go through cycles of what feels right and makes us happy, with regards to where/how we work out.

I spent 25 years working out at home, faithfully doing my DVDs by myself and running by myself. In 2014, one of my best friends opened a HIIT bootcamp class and I transitioned to doing that for the next 6 years. I loved it! I also found running partners in the class, and started running with friends for the first time. I also joined a large gym and started training with heavy weights.

Then the pandemic hit and the class couldn't survive, and I quit the gym. The class closed for good last year and I came home to my beloved DVDs, signed up for Cathe On Demand and never looked back. In the meantime I also met and married my husband, who now runs and works out with me. We recently did a complete gym renovation in our basement and outfitted out space with heavy weight machines, mirrored walls, gym flooring, large TV for streaming, etc. As far as I can tell at this point, I'm a home worker outer for good now. I have several friends who join us for Cathe DVDs every morning, so it's kind of like a class. I'm very happy and content with this... kind of the best of both worlds.

Tags
boredom, home vs gym, motivation