Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-21, 10:56 AM  
Leonana

I'm feeling a lot better today. The cough was gone last Monday. However, I overdid it doing errands that day, and got very congested Monday night. I didn't get any sleep. To say I was depressed about the set back is putting it mildly! I concentrated on eating healthier and resting, and felt better on Wednesday, although very weak. I did my volunteer filing yesterday and had a minor setback, but feel much better today. I was eating sort of healthy before with more vegetables, but I think I wasn't eating enough fruit, and too many breads. But eating so healthy is boring, lol. Although my clothes are getting looser.

Looking back, I should have skipped my volunteer filing for at least the first week I was sick. I just thought I was feeling better, and hated to let them down. And I still had to do some grocery shopping, housework and cooking, and take care of our three cats. It's hard to completely rest!

I don't know if I had three colds or two. The first one started in the middle of August, after going out of town and doing a push workout. I felt better after two weeks. I went out of town again and did another push workout, and got sick again for another two weeks. I don't know if it was a relapse or a new cold. Then I was well for two weeks, went out of town and did another push workout, and have been sick for three and a half weeks. You'd think I would have figured it out and skipped the workouts, but I didn't connect it. I looked back over my check-ins to see what I did each day. I didn't realize check-ins could be so helpful!

So, I'm done with push workouts. I wasn't able to do more than one a week anyway, so I can't see that they would have helped much with toning, doing just one a week. TBH, I had some dread for them anyway. But boy, they sure helped me sleep. Probably because I was so worn out!

Every time I say I'm going to work out starting Monday, I'm still sick. But I'm hoping to be able to start with very light workouts next week. I really miss my workouts. I'm looking forward to something lighter. I'm also going to try and get outside to walk, now that it's cooler. I'm an introvert about walking outdoors, it's always so crowded on my walking paths.

I posted about not working out due to my colds on the Lift and Shift Check-in. Jessica had the sweetest response. "Hi Sherry! Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that. I think we're all having to reintroduce our immune systems again to the world and it makes sense that you see a connection with traveling. Please keep adjusting and doing what is best for you and your body. We want you to be healthy and feel good, that's what matters most! Thanks so much for joining us for the Calm and Strong rotation. Please feel free to keep checking in with us here as you go if you'd like We love hearing from you!" Made me feel so good!

Pam, you and your dh are the busiest retired people I've seen! My dd did an escape room once with a youth group. It sounds like fun.

Donna, I'm glad the recovery workouts are helping. I can relate to skipping Pahla, no more advanced heavy weight workouts for me. Although maybe I can use my 12 pound weights and 15 pound kettlebell for a few moves on my own.

Liz, I love Poise and Grace, and the one from WS1 too.

Waves to wishiwasinhawaii.
Old 10-22-21, 06:00 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I've been working through the Calm & Strong rotation and I like it a lot. It's what I need right now. I hope I can be in good enough shape to get back to Lift & Shift on November 1.

Sherry, Wow, it's so cool Jessica sent you that response! I agree with what she said. Maybe you could do the Calm & Strong rotation, when you're feeling up to it, and skip the more strenuous days, or do something else on those days.

Donna, My knee is still a problem. I've tried a few things and nothing is working, but I'm seeing my PCP on Monday for my annual physical so I'm going to get her opinion and take it from there.

Liz, Poise and Grace is a good one! I had forgotten about that one so thanks for the reminder. I'll have to revisit it.

Pam, Have fun on your trip!
Old 10-23-21, 09:27 AM  
Leonana

I feel so much better today! It makes me more appreciative of good health. I went to PPP yesterday for lunch and met one of my friends. I ate a salad before I went, trying to keep that immune system healthy! I enjoyed the socializing.

I think I’ll do the Senior Shape Fitness schedule next week, and start Calm and Strong in November. I’m hoping that Jessica’s newest workouts will be a good fit for me, since they will be shorter.

Liz, Jessica answers all the posts in the Lift and Shift check in. She’s very encouraging. That’s one reason why I wanted to still continue, so I could check in. I’m happy to know I can still check in with Calm and Strong.
Old 10-23-21, 09:31 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today, so far, has been:

Outdoor Walk
Ellen - Pilates Mix
Jessica V - PT for SI Joint

I am feeling better, so I need to be cautious not to over-do anything...easier said than done. I think doing a little 10-20 min PT session w/ Jessica V is really helping. Her membership is worth it to me - I think the price is equal to 3 PT co-pays...and it is less burdensome to stick to being able to just do it whenever it fits my schedule.

Sherry - I'm glad you are feeling better - I think Jessica has a good point about our immune systems needing to get used to everything again. I am the most isolated in my house as my DH works in the office and my DD goes to college and work (she just started this week at a grocery store) - so I wonder what shape my immune system is in. I need to get my flu shot and then figure out what the deal is on COVID boosters, apparently, my DD can get a booster as a grocery store worker.

wishiwasinhawaii - I'm sorry your knee is still bugging you. I think Calm & Strong will be good for me but I promised myself to take it easy and not do anything to flare up my back/hip issues....but now that I'm feeling better it is tempting to want to do more.

Waves, Liz and Pam -

Take care,

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-21, 03:57 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

I got in two miles with Leslie's Punch Up Your Walk. Filmed in the "bat cave" but still a pretty good workout. She uses pink weighted gloves like the ones that Jessica uses in one of her older workouts. I couldn't find my pink ones, so used a heavy set I bought and they really help to bring your HR up. I was worn out pretty quickly, and couldn't wait to take my gloves off. They are weighted in the palm as well as the back side of your hand, so not very comfortable to wear, and heavier than what Leslie uses, I'm sure.

We had a long day out yesterday and got home pretty late. I was worn out. What I thought was going to be a horror related escape room in a mansion, turned out to be a Victorian period drama/performance with audience members (about twelve of us) interacting with the actors to draw out more information about their characters and unveil more about the story they were telling. Most of the crowd were pretty low-key and polite observers so, still thinking we had to solve some sort of puzzle to find out who might have been a more suspicious character and been involved in some sort of mystery, DH and I were sort of scratching our heads, LOL. So, we didn't have to escape from the Victorian mansion and only got to see a couple of the rooms, where the action was taking place. It was different than what we were expecting. We didn't have to accuse anyone of a crime or find out who-done-it.

We also did a late night guided ghost cemetery tour by lantern light and learned some history about a few folks who were buried there or some of the more infamous town residents in the 1600's. That was pretty fun.

We might go out again tonight for some other Halloween activity, as the weather is supposed to be rainy for most of the next week. Tonight might be our only opportunity for some nice weather.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 02:17 AM  
lizh

Hi everyone,
Today I did Barefoot Cardio Core from WS3. Lots of figure 8's with the arms on this one. I also went to the dog beach with my pup and had a nice long walk.

Pam - your excursion sounded fun! My neighbors are really getting into Halloween this year. I don't ever remember so many lights and giant ghosts on the streets!

Sherry - boy you have the cold that keeps on giving! I hope you continue to take it easy to finally kick it to the curb.

wishiwasinhawaii - I may or may not join you for Lift and Shift on Nov 1. I'm not sure if I'll be ready. I feel like I am out of shape and not sure I want to push myself. I hope the Dr has some good advice for your knee.

Donna - I'm glad you are feeling better.

waves,
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 09:36 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning was:

Outdoor Walk
Jessica Valent - Hip Mobility & Hip Pain routines

Both of the hip routines were good for me today!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
Old 10-24-21, 04:50 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

Continuing with Leslie today, I did two miles from Belly Blasting Walk. Lots of twisting (waist rotations) and higher impact in this one. Okay for a mile, but not sure I'd do another one in the future. There are a couple floor routines which I skipped. Also added Total Body Strength training from Miracle Miles with Nick. Just okay, not great. Did it two times through, but you still don't feel like you've done much with the Miracle Miles band.

We were going to do another outdoor Halloween event last night, but neither of us felt like going out. Instead we played a board game based on the movie Tremors with Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward, which we had fun re-watching again. The banter between Bacon and Ward is amusing. Reba McIntyre is in this, too and she's good with the weaponry. It's a fun, silly movie from the early 80s.

Sherry, Jessica is so sweet like that and really appreciates the folks that work out with her. I remember checking in with the group over there and there are so many people checking in, and Jessica replies to each one with a kind comment. She's so thoughtful and probably a wonderful human being.

Liz, we did very little Halloweening last year (with Covid.) Even going out to look at lights in different areas around the state, there was very little going on in the way of decorations. We've seen quite a few great lights and decor this year, by comparison.

Donna, glad Jessica V's workouts have been well suited to your needs.

wishiwasinhawaii, you have me wanting to do the Calm and Strong rotation which I haven't done in a long while! It's a nice balance of workouts!

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-21, 08:17 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I added on another dog walk and Ellen's Serene Strength - which is a nice one - not too hard.

Today I tried out Ellen's new 4 Elements Flow - I enjoyed it - was a fusion of some light cardio, yoga, standing Pilates type exercises. Hope to get out to walk today and do whatever else I can fit in.

Waves!

Donna
Old 10-25-21, 11:56 AM  
Leonana

Did a little house cleaning on Saturday, and a little yard work on Sunday morning. I had a small setback on Sunday, with more congestion. Probably because I didn't sleep well Saturday night. And having the cold makes my anxiety worse, as I tell myself the stress and lack of sleep will bring on a relapse. Then of course I can't sleep! But fortunately, it's a small setback. I slept well last night, and less congestion today. But I can see it's going to be awhile before it's completely gone. I might not be working out this week.

I have errands to run today, and I hope to add in a short stretch tonight. I'm hoping a stretch will be okay! Senior Shape added a new workout today, I really want to start doing her workouts. Hard to wait!

I hope everyone has a good week!

Tags
gum surgery, jessica smith get strong, kanopy