Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-21, 06:58 AM  
donnamp

Best way to get back to THE FIRM?

Hi!

I struggle with enjoying strength training - I have always been a cardio girl and I enjoy Yoga-Pilates-Fusion but not so much the pure strength work. Back in the day - 90's/2000's I did enjoy The Firm - probably b/c it was essentially a fusion of cardio and strength....so...many years later - when I was doing the Firm I was in my 30's/early 40's....with some injuries (mainly back and hip issues)....I am thinking - how can I return to it in a safe and sustainable way? Where to begin?

I do have a large variety of vintage FIRM - thankfully still have the VHS copies and a VCR! - so pretty much anything from the original Basics to the Pink Firms are available to me. I also do have the FitPrime/Kickbutt series -

Where to begin? Any suggestions?

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 08:12 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

There was a beginner rotation at one time... I can hunt around for it for you.

I might start with the 15 minute workouts - one cardio and then one weight one a day and work up from there. I can't remember the name of that set, but it was released after Anna died.

I liked the Firm workouts because the cardio was interspersed with weights, not the other way around.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 08:14 AM  
katalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi!

I struggle with enjoying strength training - I have always been a cardio girl and I enjoy Yoga-Pilates-Fusion but not so much the pure strength work. Back in the day - 90's/2000's I did enjoy The Firm - probably b/c it was essentially a fusion of cardio and strength....so...many years later - when I was doing the Firm I was in my 30's/early 40's....with some injuries (mainly back and hip issues)....I am thinking - how can I return to it in a safe and sustainable way? Where to begin?

I do have a large variety of vintage FIRM - thankfully still have the VHS copies and a VCR! - so pretty much anything from the original Basics to the Pink Firms are available to me. I also do have the FitPrime/Kickbutt series -

Where to begin? Any suggestions?

Donna
My first firms were volumes 1 and 2 back in the 90's. Sadly, after trying them - they sat on my shelf for many years. When I committed to fitness - I pulled them out and did as much as I could, taking as many breaks as necessary. I later discovered the Firm Basics and wished that I had had those to start with. When they released the Firm Basics - 12 minute time crunch weights and 12 minute time crunch cardio, I ordered those. I am also a huge fan of Stephanie's Powerfits. If I were starting - I would start with those. I don't know with your injuries - what would be best for you to start with. Staying safe and injury-free is so individual. G'luck.
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 08:27 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Hi Donna! Funny that you should post this now; I started a "back to the FIRM' plan just yesterday. I do not have a rotation, I am just going to cycle through all my FIRM workouts so I can decide which ones to keep and which ones I just hate. I want to do one every day, so I plan to go "light". I don't want to wear myself out or be super-sore the next day; I just want do the "workout" for fun & movement.
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 09:25 AM  
donnamp

Thanks for your responses so far!

I did forget about the PowerFits....those would be good and I do have the new 12 min "basics" - maybe i can start by adding 1 of the 12 min Basics on every day and going from there.

Donna
Old 10-24-21, 09:38 AM  
Karla25

I have also been wanting to get back to The Firm workouts. I even purchased some additional DVDs, then had a shoulder injury. I’ve been doing light weight workouts and my shoulder is almost healed now. I’m thinking it would be fun to have a November, The Firm check-in with a minimum of three Firm workouts per week.

We can also do other types of workouts. I’m afraid to start too quickly into The Firm workouts until I see how my shoulder reacts. If anyone is interested in doing a check-in for the month of November, please let me know and I will start it on the 1st.

I will probably start with The Firm pinks. The ones that I have don’t have as many push-ups. Going to ease into things :-)
Old 10-24-21, 10:48 AM  
fanofladyvols

Donna have you thought about following one of the mixed rotations?

I tried to resurrect some from the old Firm board but they've been removed.

Hopefully this link works http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=229619

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 11:55 AM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Here is a very good rotation plan that does not use the Basics, but is beginning intermediate. I did it, more than once, years ago.
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=9030
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 12:19 PM  
donnamp

Thank you so much - these are great responses/options.

Karla - I would like to do a check in but probably not until the start of the year - I'm rehabbing injuries right now... And told myself I'd work on rehab/PT type stuff for the rest of the year.

Donna
Old 10-24-21, 01:47 PM  
kat999

Whenever I take a break from exercise, I ease back in with the FIRM Basics series a few times (with no weights), then add light weights, and then pretty much resume normal.

Tags
firm, firm rotation, revisiting the firm, the firm