Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-15-21, 01:43 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

I started back up today with Youtube Walk at Home workouts with Celina. Each workout was a mile and both leads were the same person. I really liked her and she's very bubbly.

I took a look at the QVC Walk, Run and Lift program (thanks to someone posting links to two of the walks on YouTube.) The twenty minute walk is lead by Nick, and the other is lead by Celina, along with Tanner doing the Lift segment and Taja doing the Run part. For some reason my internet connection kept dogging during both of these workouts. I barely got into them and I was having issues. One thing I noticed that I didn't like is they get into fast movements very quickly. You're barely warmed up (if at all) and the pace with everything really picks up. So, while I ordered the QVC set earlier today, after trying part of the workouts I ended up canceling the workouts again. I'm sure they'll offer these workouts again for a better price down the road, and maybe it won't be until the start of the New Year but I can wait. There is no rush on spending $60 on this for me.

Honestly, I do prefer Leslie and she knows how to warm you up slowly and gently. These new walk leaders just want to go, go, go and my hips were screaming today.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-21, 07:48 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I took Thursday off work and went to the beach. It was in the mid-80s so if felt like summer day, without the crowds! There were very few people there and I felt like I had the beach to myself. I also got a lot of walking in - 5 miles, which is the most I've walked in ages. Yesterday my neck was bothering me, so I did self-massage and stretching and today I'm back to normal, thank goodness.

Donna, I feel the same way. I like L&S a lot, but I just haven't had the energy for it, so I started Calm & Strong today. I'm doing the youtube version because I seem to remember I did the DVDs last time, so might as well switch it up. I'll do this for 2 weeks and then see if I feel ready for the L&S challenge.

I've been having a lot of trouble with my knees and am concerned about it, but like you said, I don't want to go to physical therapy. I have a $40 copay each time I go and that adds up, plus, I just don't want to go during COVID, so I'm trying some things on my own and I'll see how it goes.

Pam, I've only done a couple of Leslie walks since the new walk leaders took over. I get the impression they're trying to appeal to a younger audience, so that kind of turns me off since I just turned 55, lol. So I'll just stick with her older stuff and Jessica. I've never heard of Celina so I'll have to check that out.

Sherry, Hope you're continuing to feel better!

Waves to Liz!
Old 10-16-21, 07:53 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning it was:

CS - Aging Backwards Posture

Caroline Sandry - 30 Days to Flat Abs Pilates Day 1 - warm-up and level 1

I may get a chance to walk today before the weather turns stormy. Yesterday was really warm in the afternoon so I had to cut my dog walk short for the sake of my out-of-shape and aging Golden!

wishiwasinhawaii - I feel that way about PT and Chiro visits - I had a co-pay that adds up and I really don't want to go during COVID - I know they are probably cleaning and disinfecting, etc. Plus it is time consuming. I have thought about doing a virtual consult w/ Jessica Valent.

Pam - I have tried a few of the Walk-Run-Lift workouts and I'm not a fan - it seems like not enough of anything to be effective and they do seem rushed.

Waves, Sherry - I hope the cold is finally over!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-21, 08:54 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Donna, I didn't know Jessica V does virtual physical therapy. I just went to her site and I may do that, too. I have an annual checkup with my PCP at the end of the month so I'm going to ask her about my knee and see what she recommends, but if she says PT, I may just try Jessica instead. PT in person is probably safe, but I'm just thinking it would be uncomfortable with the mask on and it's expensive and time consuming because they usually want you to go a few times a week at the beginning.
Old 10-16-21, 10:21 AM  
Leonana

Just a quick check in. Still battling my cold, the cough is lingering. But I feel a little better each day, I just miss working out. I guess this cold is a long one. But I did do my volunteer filing on Thursday, it felt good to get out.

Pam, I’m glad you are feeling better.

wishiwasinhawaii, your beach walk sounded wonderful. I’m glad your stiff neck is better.

Donna, I hope the SI joint is improving.
Old 10-16-21, 09:47 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

We went on a walking tour (Poe and Sarah Helen Whitman) today. Weather was perfect! It was a good tour and guide was knowledgeable about subject as well as an enthusiastic Poe fan. Only a few points of interest here in town, but still major considering their brief courtship.

Sherry and Donna, I hope you're both doing a little better each day. It's so frustrating when our bodies slow us down, whether illness or injury.

wishiwasinhawaii, it's lovely that you've been able to have some time away from work to get to the beach, especially with the days getting shorter and sunsets coming earlier. I would consider many of Kelly's workouts on more of an intermediate level. You can of course make them more advanced though, depending on weights used and length of premixes. She's very good. I would jump at the opportunity to visit CA, if it were me. It's been such a long time since I've been there, but it can be a nice getaway!

Good night all!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-21, 11:50 PM  
lizh

Hi everyone,

I never made it back to KCM. I think I have some dread doing her workouts since I don't feel like I'm in good enough shape. I'm going to try something a bit easier and work my way up to her (and Lift and Shift!).

Today I did Brain Fitness Fun from WS1 since I had already walked with my dog for about an hour. I was searching and reading on VF tonight looking for what rotation to do next and I think I'll just stick with Jessica. Her "Spring Ahead" rotation looks fun. It has a variety of workouts but seems to pull heavily from WS3. It covers 6 weeks which would keep me busy through Thanksgiving.

Don't hold me to it! hahahaah!

Pam, your walking tour sounds fun. Where do you learn about such things? I feel so out of it these days.

wishiwasinhawaii, good luck with the knee issue! I hope your Dr. is helpful.

Donna, glad to hear your SI joint is calming down.

Sherry, I hope you feel better. It is hard to take it slow, but you will be glad you did.

Have a good weekend,
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-21, 07:42 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I think I forgot to check in yesterday - it wasn't an overly exciting day, LOL!

Sunday:

CS 1215
Dog Walk
Caroline Sandry - 30 Days to Flat Abs Pilates Day # 2

Monday:

Ellen's Barre Conditioning
Jessica Valent - Scoliosis Routine & Sciatica Routine - there was some overlap in these, but not too much and both were good routines for me today!

My back/SI is feeling better, but still not where I want it to be....patience....patience....

Sherry - how are you feeling?

Pam - that sounds like a fun tour!

wishiwasinhawaii -..waves!

Liz - I know what you mean, KCM has a bit of dread for me, too. I need to build back up after my back settles down - will need to pick a rotation!!

Hope to get out to walk today...but I do have an errand to run at lunch which will actually involve driving - something I don't do much of these days!

Happy Monday!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-21, 04:06 PM  
Leonana

Feeling much better today. I seemed to have turned the corner Saturday night, and was able to stop taking cold medicine. I think that's what made me feel the worst! Normally, I don't take it, but the muscle strain in my chest was really painful when I coughed, also I couldn't sleep. I'm still a little congested and low energy, but over the worst.

I did some more googling on exercise and immune system. Basically, moderate exercise improves immune system, but over exertion lowers it. Of course, what counts as exercising too much is probably different for everyone. I think rotations like Lift and Shift might be out for me. I would like a bit more muscle tone, I guess I'll have to try lower weights for that. One article had an interesting explanation as to why heavier weights can lower the immune system.

Quote:
However, he does caution against severe muscle-damaging workouts, like lifting super heavy or doing eccentric exercises (slowing down the downward phase of a movement) so that the muscle repair process doesn’t compete with your immune function.
https://www.health.com/fitness/does-...boost-immunity

Although, I suppose my 12 pound weights aren't considered lifting super heavy for most people, but it is for me I guess! I thought the eccentric phase was interesting, since Jessica does have that in L&S.

Donna, thanks for asking! Normally I'm over the worst in a week, and the second week is mild. But this one seems to be lasting three weeks. But it's my third cold in the past two months, I think my immune system is low. I'm glad your SI Joint is better.

Pam, I'm glad your Poe tour was enjoyable, and that you had a good guide and good weather.

Liz, I will definitely take it slow! I did WS3 to prepare for Lift and Shift. It helped.
Old 10-19-21, 02:17 AM  
lizh

Hi all,
Just a quick one since I want to pat myself on the back for my workouts. Yesterday, the weather was beautiful! I took my dog for a big long walk and then I did Cardio Step Jam from WS3. It is a fun one. Today back to work and I finished the day with Jessica’s Step and Strength on YouTube. It is a good 30 minute workout.I’ll catch up on personals tomorrow.

Waves to all!
Goodnight
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gum surgery, jessica smith get strong, kanopy