Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-07-21, 05:50 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post

I'm really ready for this rollercoaster to be over but after 3-4 years already, I think I still have more time left. It's affected every facet of my life and I just long for my old life back. But alas, that's not happening.
I'm sorry, Lori. I'm ready for you to see some relief as well. Really stinks how long you've been dealing with it .. Hugs!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-21, 06:42 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i can't remember, but i think i did a little HRT in the beginning to help with the hot flashes, and it didn't help, so i stopped taking the HRT pills and never went back.

just used fans and the occasional air conditioning splurge and staying hydrated was the only thing i did, and keeping up with my workouts. i was more worried about my cholesterol levels now that i knew i would be losing the estrogen protection due to menopause.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-21, 06:46 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
I'm sorry, Lori. I'm ready for you to see some relief as well. Really stinks how long you've been dealing with it .. Hugs!!
Thanks, me too! It's been a rough time that I never saw coming. I just seem to get worse each month with no end in sight. Hugs back!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-21, 09:16 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I went through menopause very early. I was younger than 45. It's not typical but certainly happens.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 07:52 AM  
Thenu

Thanks a lot for the insights and for sharing your experience. Glad to understand this is normal and some of us have faced similar situation. Will try to look into the suggestions.

Any recommendations for a good book to read about menopause ? Never thought this would happen to me at this age , so wasnt prepared mentally. Want to research and read more about menopause. Will listen to the ‘play not pause’ podcast, thanks for the suggestion.

Jeannine , will cholesterol values get affected due to low estrogen ? My cholesterol levels went up past few months , doctor put me on statin since I have diabetes. Had some weird symptoms like slight temporary peripheral neuropathy for a month. Neurologist said it may be due to statin and took me out of it. All this started after getting the covid vaccine. Not sure if any of this is related but can’t help wondering about it.
Thenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 11:00 AM  
Marylandmom
VF Supporter

I had a friend who started menopause in her 30s so it does happen.
Marylandmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 11:47 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenu View Post
Jeannine , will cholesterol values get affected due to low estrogen ? My cholesterol levels went up past few months , doctor put me on statin since I have diabetes. Had some weird symptoms like slight temporary peripheral neuropathy for a month. Neurologist said it may be due to statin and took me out of it. All this started after getting the covid vaccine. Not sure if any of this is related but can’t help wondering about it.
as i understand it, menopause doesn't cause cholesterol to increase, but menopause reduces estrogen in the body. estrogen protects your blood vessels, the areas where cholesterol is known to "clog" and increase risk for heart disease. this article lists the benefits:
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...ogen--hormones

therefore, cholesterol is caused by independent factors unrelated to menopause. let your cholesterol doctor know that your neurologist took you off of the statin because there are many alternative meds for cholesterol. if you were prescribed cholesterol meds, there must have been a good reason for it. i have a very low dose statin that i take to keep my cholesterol level below 200. i don't want that dose to be increased, so i do everything i can to keep it low (exercise, plant-based meals). mine is hereditary - my BMI is below normal range and my cholesterol cannot be controlled by diet and exercise alone.

a word about the covid vaccine and hormones - i have no doubt that any vaccine causes the body to reboot itself in terms of hormones and overall body chemistry. it'll probably take a few more cycles for a person's system to normalize. i recovered within a few days for the various vaccines I've taken in the past couple of years (covid, shingrix and pneumonia). i take the flu shot every year without any issues.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 12:02 PM  
Erica H.

My periods stopped when I was 47 and my doctor and I assumed it was menopause. Earlier this year, she checked my hormone levels due to various issues I'm having and was shocked to see my LH/FSH levels are both practically zero, which means my hypothalamus is not working.

She insisted on an MRI to rule out a pituitary tumor. I really didn't think I had one and held off getting it done due to the expense for 6 months and just had it done this week - no tumor.

I have to see an endocrinologist. My gyn is baffled as to what is going on. She said I'm a "mystery." Unfortunately, I have so many health issues and that's what all my doctors say. Lab reports are all crazy so I know it's not in my head but no one seems to be able to diagnose and treat.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 12:48 PM  
kat999

My periods have always been erratic, but at about 41 I started having real problems with going a long time between periods, breakthrough bleeding, and then periods that didn't seem to want to stop. It turned out I had multiple fibroids that were causing all of those symptoms. If you're already talking to your doctor, I assume they've done ultrasounds and have determined if that's the problem. But for me, all my wonky cycles have apparently been due to a combination of fibroids and stress (all symptoms exacerbated when stressed). At 46, I still have a period, but I have a ton of other peri- and menopause symptoms (hot flashes, racing heart at times, brain fog).

A lot could also be down to when you first started menstruating, since we do have a finite number of eggs after all. My perimenopause began at about 35, and I was early to get my period at 11.
Old 10-08-21, 01:17 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenu View Post
My cholesterol went up within the past year too. My doctor said he thinks it's just perimenopause and with all the exercise and generally good eating habits it should go back down within a few years after menopause.

I too had peripheral neuropathy after the covid vaccine. It started 10 days after the first shot. My entire right hand and arm had bad nerve pain for about 3 months. I also lost some manual dexterity in my hands and had a lot of trouble with motor skills. I still get it occasionally, and that was in April. My teenage son also had severe headaches and motor skill problems for about 2 months, he barely finished school last year because of it. Our doctor recommended that we not get the second shot because of this. But we're glad we at least had the first shots.

Erica -- I also had an MRI about 20 years ago to check for a pituitary tumor. Nothing. My doctor said he didn't want to put me through that again. He also is baffled by my low FSH and LH numbers and extremely low estrogen. He can't believe that I'm still having regularish cycles at nearly 48. Still no diagnosis from anyone, and all my bloodwork is "normal". So frustrating.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menopause