Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-21, 04:56 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Baking is one of my biggest anxiety coping tools (plus I love it and, toot my own horn, I'm pretty darn good at it! ) so I can't really shut it down. I need it like I need baseball, yoga and running!
I know a lot of people who feel the same way about it. For me, the eating of the results would be a coping tool so that is a big no for me unless I have to for holidays or family. I'm glad you have something you enjoy and are good at!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 05:01 PM  
sherry7899

I find baking very stress relieving, but I'm trying to do less of it because it is WAY too tempting to have it in the house. I offer to send some with my son when he goes to friend's houses, but he doesn't want to take anything with him! I used to pass along to friends pre-Covid, but I hardly see anyone now so that isn't possible. Freezing doesn't help because I know it's still in the house. Even frozen cookie dough is tempting to me! Am I alone in that?

I did make the New York Times recipe once without nuts. They were excellent, but I don't think they are worth waiting two days for the dough to chill level of excellence. If my son and I want cookies, we're not waiting two days for them!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 05:19 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I find baking very stress relieving, but I'm trying to do less of it because it is WAY too tempting to have it in the house.

Even frozen cookie dough is tempting to me! Am I alone in that?
You were one of the people I was thinking about when I said I know many people who find baking good for stress relief.

And, no, you are absolutely not alone! Cookie dough (and all baked goods) is delicious in any form/temperature!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 07:47 AM  
Tugger31

adawn....I apologize!!! You are correct! The "perfect" recipe is 375. I think I have too many recipes floating in my head lol! Thank you for checking for me, sorry about that!

Another question, I was wondering by browning the butter in the chewy recipe instead do the cookies seem more dry b/c some of the water in the butter evaporates during the browning process? I want to make sure these don't break easily. Have you tried reducing the flour a bit to compensate or adding in more liquid? Thanks!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 08:52 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Baking is one of my biggest anxiety coping tools (plus I love it and, toot my own horn, I'm pretty darn good at it! ) so I can't really shut it down. I need it like I need baseball, yoga and running!
I'm the same way. Love making bread, rolls, english muffins, etc. So soothing.
Pizza dough is good too, but then I'm tempted to top it with all sorts of unhealthy stuff, LOL!!
Old 08-01-21, 08:54 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
This is why I try to avoid baking - I can't resist baked goods. They are too tempting right out of the oven, room temp, refrigerated, frozen....so delicious.

Erica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I’m easy to please when it comes to ccc, I guess. I like the recipe on the back of the Nestle chocolate chips and like those chocolate chips, too. I don’t use as many chocolate chips as the recipe calls for because I prefer a balance of sweet and salty and not too much chocolate. And I MUST have walnuts in my cookies.
If I went to anyone's house and you baked a cookie from your sweet lil hands, I will eat it.

If you bake it, I will come.

If you have it refrigerated, I will wait for you to bake.

If you have it frozen, I will wait for it to thaw.

I will happily do cleanup as well because I am a happy thankful cookie eater.

But it IS why I bake only rarely

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 09:10 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I, too, bake just because I really enjoy it. I enjoy seasonal baking a lot. Sundays in the fall or winter especially. I give a lot away or my family ends up eating it through the week. I rarely eat my own baked goods or sometimes I will have a bite or two each day. I also cook a lot, mostly all of our meals. But I am one of those people who prefers someone else's cooking over my own.

If someone else bakes or cooks, I will be more apt to have more. Perhaps I appreciate it more!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 03:29 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

adawn, thank you for the details on the recipe! I am baking the last batch right now. I made mine gluten free, but the GF flour I use usually does a great job on cookies. I also used light brown sugar, because that was all I had. I also measured instead of weighing. They are a hit! They are not going to last long at all..... I have five people between the ages of 19 and 22 at my house right now.
Old 08-07-21, 03:59 PM  
Tugger31

I have made 3 different recipes this week and had friends, family and work sample them all. Two were Cooks Illustrated (including one with browned butter) the third was not. The third one won! Go figure! I also tried two different types of chocolate chips, the winner was the Ghirardelli semisweet chips which beat out the Ghirardelli 60% slightly bigger chips.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 04:10 PM  
sherry7899

If anyone shops at Aldi they sell Belgian chocolate chunks (semi sweet and dark) and they are delicious and cheap! I use them in cookies .

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chocolate chip cookies, recipe, recipes