Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-23, 12:26 PM  
Bearybuff

Interesting! Which Apple watch do you own? I have an Iphone. Maybe, it is time to upgrade.
Bearybuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-23, 02:30 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

DH and I both have had a Versa 3 for several years and like itóno complaints at all. Iíve debated about getting an Apple Watch for awhile and so far have decided not to ďtake the plunge.Ē IIRC there might be a Fitbit that has some of the additional features that the Watch offers for ďhealthĒ like falls, heartrate spikes, etc.

Hereís why, FWIW: 1. Iím more interested in the fitness aspect than all the other features of the Apple Watch, which sounds like a lot of work just to set it up and figure it all out. Yes, that is a lame reason, but there it is.

2. Iím not sure how I feel about Apple having yet more information about me than they already have (I have had an iPhone for years and also have a Mac and iPad). They donít have health data on me at this pointóthat I know of, anyway--and I donít necessarily want that added to my profile. Yes, I wear my tinfoil hat proudly, although itís crooked or I wouldnít use an iPhone at all.

Iím not intending ANY criticism of those with the Watch, as it has been a great tool for many. This is just an alternative perspective and kind of explains my wafflingóYMMV. Good luckólet us know what you get!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-23, 02:56 PM  
warriorprincess

I love my Apple Watch. I can't imagine ever being without it again.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-23, 12:47 PM  
zoegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
DH and I both have had a Versa 3 for several years and like itóno complaints at all.
I've had a Fitbit Versa 3 for several years, too, and have had no problems with it. It does everything I need it to - mainly track steps and heartrate, oh, and tell time! The little keeper that keeps the strap in place broke over the weekend and I had to order a new strap but that is the only problem I have had and I have worn it every day for probably 3 or 4 years.
zoegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-23, 02:29 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I came back to add that while I like the Versa 3, I’m less thrilled with the Fitbit App. Lately they seem to be decreasing the features on the app with the idea of herding people into the Google universe—at least that’s my interpretation of the more recent “updates." That’s fine if it’s what you want, but it kind of defeats my purpose of having a fitness device separate from the Apple world if it means you are joining Google world. I’m hesitant at having so much of my data residing with one mega company.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Old 12-11-23, 06:08 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
I came back to add that while I like the Versa 3, Iím less thrilled with the Fitbit App. Lately they seem to be decreasing the features on the app with the idea of herding people into the Google universeóat least thatís my interpretation of the more recent ďupdates." Thatís fine if itís what you want, but it kind of defeats my purpose of having a fitness device separate from the Apple world if it means you are joining Google world. Iím hesitant at having so much of my data residing with one mega company.
Google owning Fitbit and doing away with the challenges are the things that make me question getting another Fitbit when mine dies. But imo the Fitbit app is still better than the Garmin app.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-23, 02:07 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Google owning Fitbit and doing away with the challenges are the things that make me question getting another Fitbit when mine dies. But imo the Fitbit app is still better than the Garmin app.
Good to know about the Garmin app. Disappointing. Yeah, Iíve noticed a big difference since Google bought Fitbit and it seems they are planning for its eventual demise as a standalone fitness toolójust my Sense of it, pun intended.

Iím sure Apple is focused on keeping health data secure (of course I believe all the commercials ), but who is keeping it secure from them? Iím wrestling with that as I continue to ponder moving to an Apple watch in the future...

Old 12-12-23, 02:48 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Good to know about the Garmin app. Disappointing. Yeah, Iíve noticed a big difference since Google bought Fitbit and it seems they are planning for its eventual demise as a standalone fitness toolójust my Sense of it, pun intended.

Iím sure Apple is focused on keeping health data secure (of course I believe all the commercials ), but who is keeping it secure from them? Iím wrestling with that as I continue to ponder moving to an Apple watch in the future...
I try not to get paranoid about it but I do anyway. I am an obsessive tracker of everything and would hate to give up my fitness tracker, whatever type it is!

As far as the Garmin app, my device is an old vivoactive that's been discontinued so I don't know if there is more data available with a more current device.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple watch, fit bit, fitbit, fitness tracker, fitness trackers