Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-24, 12:22 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question How did you first discover VF?

There have been several threads over the years asking this question. But, we finally have some newer members and I'd love to hear how they discovered VF!

As for me, I got caught up n the whole Tae Bo frenzy. I was searching online for opinions of the workouts and up came VF.

It was like finding my tribe! Not too many others in my life were in to working out.

I'm sure I would not be as knowledgeable about fitness if I had not discovered VF. And not as healthy.

The only bad news is that VF has been hard on my wallet. Not just videos and fitness equipment either!

How did you first discover VF?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-24, 12:37 PM  
alisoncooks

In 2009, my youngest was 1 yr old. I was looking for workouts to lose some baby weight. Can’t remember what the exact workouts were; I might have been looking for reviews for The Bar Method.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-24, 01:00 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

When the original Guthy-Renker Winsor Pilates informercial began airing I was intrigued and went in search of reviews.

The rest is history!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-24, 01:02 PM  
JustSandra

I began working out at home in the late 90's after a bad experience at my gym. It was a small place where the owners provided personalized routines. I was given pull-ups on my routine, which I can't do, so I asked one of the managers for an alternative exercise and he proceeded to make fun of me! When I got home I realized I could set up some equipment, a TV and a VCR in my spare bedroom and exercise there. I went looking for reviews of workout VHS tapes and came across VF.

And, by the way, several months after I left that gym the guy who ridiculed me was arrested for selling steroids out of the gym. The TV news had a shot of him being led to a police car in handcuffs. I stood up in my living room and cheered!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-24, 01:08 PM  
difit

I was looking for a place to trade workouts. When I discovered VF to trade. I started going through the posts. This where I was introduced to Cathe, KCM, Amy Bento and so on.
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-24, 01:53 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Sandra, Wow, what a terrible experience! Glad the guy got arrested though! Yay!

I had been going to gyms for many years and the one I liked went out of business in 2008. I joined a new one that ended up being less than ideal and quit that one in 2009. At that point, I decided to take the plunge and bought P90X from Amazon. When I realized I could work out even more effectively from home and didn't have to deal with the BS at gyms, I was intrigued and was looking for other home workout fans to talk to for advice on what DVD to do after I did a couple of rounds of P90X. I did a google search and found VF and the rest is history!
Old 01-09-24, 01:57 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

It has been so long—I lurked here for years before I joined. I “think” I heard about VF through the old YaYas board, and started reading the reviews and then migrated to the main forums.

Sandra, scary! There sure are some creeps out there!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-24, 02:12 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

This feels funny to say, but before the turn of the century, I was transitioning from a very physical career to a very sedentary one. I had returned to my Firm tapes (yes, VHS tapes) that a friend had turned me on to years before in order to try to stay fit.

I figured with so many years in between when they were introduced to me and returning to them, I might have missed a release or two, so I was hunting online and bam, I stumbled on VF reviews. I lurked for a while and then finally got brave and joined.

What happened next was like a cyclone had attacked my credit cards. Thanks a lot, VF! Seriously though, VF was/is such a gift!

Sandra, I love the conclusion of your story (because I wanted to kick that guy for laughing at you but he got his kicks anyway, hah!!)

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-24, 02:32 PM  
Peukalo-Liisa
VF Supporter

I'm quite late to the party - I used to be a group classes junkie until covid happened; the only fitness DVD I've ever had was Jillian Michaels 30 days shred (I hope I won't be banned for not having enough DVDs )

At first I was just reading instructors' / workouts' reviews, but then I started to check GD and Check-ins threads and fell in love with the atmosphere and people here. My account was magically accepted after 3 months of waiting, and I plan to stay here as long as I can
Old 01-09-24, 02:38 PM  
rhbrand

I probably heard about it from the old Firm Forum back in the late 90s.

Tags
collage forum, fitness for dummies, how did you find vf, vf love, yayas