Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-22, 07:59 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealakey View Post
prettyinpink, just curious, which paper workouts are you doing?
Lift With Sohee. I use the “Year of Strength” plans, which do not include access to the FB group. Each year is the written plans from the entire prior year, by month. Both times they were on sale when first released.

I know others at VF use paper workouts and it would be fun to see what they use.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-22, 09:40 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
Lift With Sohee. I use the “Year of Strength” plans, which do not include access to the FB group. Each year is the written plans from the entire prior year, by month. Both times they were on sale when first released.

I know others at VF use paper workouts and it would be fun to see what they use.
I've been using Lift Like a Girl but put my own spin on it, adding in 20 minutes of cardio and 10 minutes of rowing to round out about a 35-minute workout. The actual lifting part doesn't take me very long, but I can tell it's helping to go heavier than I usually do, do more reps, and not always trying to combine weights with cardio (even though I like to do that). LLAG is two workouts that you alternate, with only three sets of reps for each of three exercises. So I do 10 minutes of walking/jogging in place, the LLAG workout of the day, 10 minutes on my rowing machine, and then 10 more minutes of walking/jogging. Usually burns close to 200 calories for a short routine that doesn't require me to fire up the TV.
Old 12-11-22, 11:13 AM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Oh yes, thanks for reminding me about Lift Like a Girl. I also have paper workouts from Joyce Vedral, and I like her upper body pyramid system.

Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-22, 03:50 PM  
desie

I'm 5 years into menopause. The first 3 years were all-consuming with trying to manage (through lifestyle and diet) the effects of low estrogen on sleep quality, hot flashes, body pain, anxiety, skin fragility, and reduced energy and libido. It was very much in the forefront of my thoughts all the time, and I was a zombie from being unable to sleep well. The second 2 years were much better with HRT pills. Except I still have low libido. I am more fit, can handle stress better, don't get injured so easily. The 10 lbs I gained have stayed. (But I have a bosom again so not such a bad trade-off.) I feel proud of myself and pretty and don't give menopause a thought any more. I hope anyone who is having a hard time with it finds a resolution. For me I read a ton of books and then found a female ob/gyn to take me as a patient. My family doctor wanted me to take sleeping pills.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-22, 10:40 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by desie View Post
I'm 5 years into menopause. The first 3 years were all-consuming with trying to manage (through lifestyle and diet) the effects of low estrogen on sleep quality, hot flashes, body pain, anxiety, skin fragility, and reduced energy and libido. It was very much in the forefront of my thoughts all the time, and I was a zombie from being unable to sleep well. The second 2 years were much better with HRT pills. Except I still have low libido. I am more fit, can handle stress better, don't get injured so easily. The 10 lbs I gained have stayed. (But I have a bosom again so not such a bad trade-off.) I feel proud of myself and pretty and don't give menopause a thought any more. I hope anyone who is having a hard time with it finds a resolution. For me I read a ton of books and then found a female ob/gyn to take me as a patient. My family doctor wanted me to take sleeping pills.
Sleeping pills! Some doctors only know how to treat the symptom rather than target the cause. I’m glad you found some relief!

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-22, 10:33 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by desie View Post
skin fragility
Oh my gosh, is that a menopause symptom?! My skin has been absolutely bananas this year, from developing a sudden allergy to my wedding ring to getting hives periodically, mine has been crazy (just on my body, though, really; my facial skin actually looks pretty great). Just yesterday I broke out in tiny pinprick rashes for seemingly no reason.
Old 12-12-22, 12:16 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Oh my gosh, is that a menopause symptom?!
I often refer to this list of perimenopause/menopause oddities (since I've encountered most of them) when something new crops up (especially since all we ever hear about are hot flashes!): https://rosewoman.com/blogs/perspect...-perimenopause
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-22, 02:21 PM  
JENILU

This is long, I am so sorry. Still don't know how to edit myself. Hopefully there is something relateable)
I haven't gotten to read everything yet, but plan to. I stay interested how other people manifest this change and how they are dealing with it. I have way more inflammation with the littlest bit, and when I was able to lift more regularly, had to go to a cardio weight type, that wasn;t as heavy but the ones (I cannot remember name) but upper/lower/upper/lower in same workout to keep blood moving. That type helps a lot as do the ones, I know everyone hates, but where u do upper and lower in tandem. I know u have to lift lighter to do them, somewhat atleast unless u can quick change, but it did help some of my infllammation and pain. I have personally, and very suddenly (I was thrown into meno w/ no warning with that cancer surgery last year) turned into a box when I have been a pear all my life. I feel like sponge bob w. a little pooch I can't get rid of in front. I never had a strongly muscled belly, but i could hold it in and had that flat belly when you lay down. My weight was mostly in hips. I still have hips but my top has gone very wide to match it and its is so weird looking(to me). Getting upper back fat too- which is just not fair when I never had much in front to match it. Used to be an hour glass looking pear because of shoulders. All changed now.

Anyway, the muscle pain and inflammation is real. I have just started an adrenal based exercise program in hopes of managing my energy right now, and no weights are allowed in the beginning and it is so hard to give up control- especially with my body. Exercise seemed the only thing i had control over. I guess God wants me to let him control that too. I am stubborn. Just gotta stay slow and gentle right now and then easy pilates whenI learn to calm my (fight or flight is not the right word. I would say cortisol, but I take steroids for that). I can walk outside to walk my fur baby, but I tried an indoor walk yesterday that was supposed to be short and easy, but holiday themed, and nearly passed out- I am sure that is probably more adrenals than menopause, but added that in just in case since my energy has really changed and I don't always know which to blame. Walking outside is easier tho. For whatever reason. (and of course we seem to be having a cold/wet/rainy season).
** (add on about hormones, skip if you want, some may not agree)Anyway, I will add, since this is about menopause. We also seem to be at a time in life (or atleast a lot of us do, I know it goes in cycles) where a lt more stress comes our way too and that can affect inflammation and also outcomes of things. All the hormones work together, and if one thing is off, others are off. Noone tells you thyroid and all the estrogens and progesterone, insulin/pancreas, hypothalamus, and pituitary are all connected and if one is off, all get a little off trying to make up for it. Blood sugars get higher (my theory on why people gain weight). Thyroid issues alone can lead to joint pain. Adrenals control aldosterone, cortisol, and DHEA atleast and I know most, if not all those are affected in menopause- or cause symptoms. Not a scientist, lol, just at a point where I HAVE TO know some of whats going on. Some Drs won't work with me on this because it crosses fields. My whole endocrine system- which can include the sex hormones is breaking down 1 by 1. My endocrinologist said i need a team, but its hard to get one. I am just saying where i am at and how I came to that about them being connected, sorry to ramble on)

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-22, 08:44 AM  
fatkat555

Possibly related to this topic, possibly not. Last night when I went to bed, I felt a little twinge in my ankle. No idea how or why. This morning? I have full-on tendinitis, can barely walk! I did NOTHING yesterday, no exercise, that would’ve done this. Dang it! It’s the little bitty injuries that snowball into weakness, more weakness, more injury and round and around we go. So frustrating!

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-22, 09:32 AM  
donnamp

Jenilu - you make some good points.

This time of life, ironically, when we are physically less able to deal with stress is often when we are under the most stress - dealing with aging parents and relatives, dealing with kids that are transitioning to adulthood and all the worry that comes with that, we are often also at the highest point in our careers and facing the most job stress. so, yea, middle age kinda sucks on some levels. And I do think it is all connected - changing hormones, decrease in our physical ability to manage stress, life events, etc.

Fatkat - ugh - I'm sorry!

Lori - thanks for that list. Fortunately, I don't suffer too much - but seeing the list made me realize how dry my hair is - I always had really healthy hair....

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, menopausal weight gain, menopause, muscle loss, perimenopause