Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-10-10, 04:25 PM  
Hej

Full nudity on the beach doesn't bother me at all-- not for me or for the kids-- but for some reason I find bralessness in high impact workouts unpleasantly distracting. Susan Harris in Vol 1 and Allie del Rio in Super Cardio are cases in point. For Harris it looks painful, and with del Rio, I'm always wondering if they had to edit out a wardrobe malfunction during the shoot.
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 04:36 PM  
dnna

I totally agree that there are so much more worse thingsto view than a risque exercise instructor!! but I am so happy that I can control the viewing content in my own home at least.
It was actually very funny that my 4 year old was crazy in love with Janet Jones Gretsky and would wander in and sit down and watch her. My husband had the same glazed look whenever I did The Firm Classsic One.
But really all the sexy =sex on the beach" nope I would not want that language around my little kid.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 04:39 PM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

Instructors strutting their stuff impresses me as a a grandstanding overlay that I don't need. It doesn't motivate me. I'm equally turned off by the sexy-bikini talk which would be presumptuous way to talk to me in person.

One of the fitness magazines I've looked at, I think "Shape," also seems to have this man-bait focus. I assume they see that audience as a significant part of their market.
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 04:55 PM  
Janga

I've never done CLX or even seen it so couldn't say.

I've never really been into any exercise vids that seemed risque to me, although I'd say that exercise itself has some connection to all sides of our physical being; I guess it wouldn't bother me too much or I might not notice.
Janga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 05:32 PM  
BurnRN

I've noticed the skimpy tops Chalene wears, too. I'm only in Burn phase. I keep thinking she is going to fall out of the tops. I am rather well endowed and I can't imagine working out in something like that. I like to feel supported. Love the workouts though so I'll carry on, it doesn't really bother me and I don't have little ones to worry about!
BurnRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 06:04 PM  
Eibhinn

I don't consider myself a prude -- at all -- but I work out to work out and I really don't want to feel like I am being sexually propositioned by the people on screen. I get wearing form-fitting, or even fairly skimpy, clothing to demonstrate form, but there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. The wrong way is when you have a reasonable idea of their waxer's skill level, when clothing is completely see through, and when the camera-person is constantly focusing in on body parts you don't need to see to understand an exercise. This over-sexualization often actually obscures the exercises - as in all you see is boob or pelvis instead of technique.

Really bad examples that no one has mentioned yet: Namaste Yoga (which I saw a Youtube commenter refer to as "Na-mas-T&A Yoga", and Szusana's Bodyrock.tv, which I think is an intentionally dual-purpose website, despite her impeccable form (exercise form, perverts...). I also could not stand the constant "come hither" sexyface looks that Hemalayaa would shoot directly at the camera in the workouts of hers that I tried. I just found them too embarassing to use. This is also part of the reason that I couldn't handle RaviAna's DVDs.

Part of my problem is also that I live in a small open concept apartment, and my boyfriend already thinks fitness videos are cheesy without hearing completely embarassing comments coming out of instructors mouths. If he hears something particularly salacious, he'll come out of hiding to see exactly what it is that I'm doing. I like to try to avoid that.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 06:12 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

It could be a dual purpose for Zuzana, but I do respect her standards. She put up a pair of pants on Ebay, and when she realized that it was men who were bidding outrages amounts on her auction she pulled it, and donated it to a local woman's shelter. It just didn't sit right with her.

There are some things that bother me, too short shorts actually tops my list. There's a workout from CIA that I can't do. The instructor's name keeps flashing in my brain and then quickly leaves, but she's wearing a top that looks like a white scarf. It is so distracting to me thinking that I'm going to see her breast at anytime.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 06:25 PM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
...<snip>

Having said that, the one instructor that does bug me is Ana Brett. I don't need to that that deep into her shakras.
LOL!

For much the same reason, in general I find the tight workout shorts (like bike shorts) much more revealing than tights and leotards ever were!

Other than that, I haven't seen a workout where I am really bothered by the instructor's attire.

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"

Last edited by mtngoat; 03-10-10 at 06:31 PM. Reason: wording
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 06:41 PM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmom24 View Post
Barry named 2 different exercises, both focusig on the inner thighs, as Sex On The Beach in his latest set. He goes on to say "Sex on the beach is fun!" after the completion of one set. I immediately took the set back to Target. I can't have my 5, 11, 17 or 19 year old boys listening to that!

I am more modest than most I know but it's right for me and my family.

Michelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMonkey View Post
I'm betting that your 17 and 19 year old boys have heard far worse!
Perhaps they have heard far worse, but I think her intent was to let them know that she doesn't condone it. Good for you Michelle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_real_twit View Post
I got rid of Tantric toning because of the excessive boobage on display.
I've never had some of the videos being discussed in this thread, but I did buy Tantric Toning and got rid of it for the same reason.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 06:47 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

I lock my workout room if I'm going to use a DVD where an instructor or background exerciser is showing too much skin. Zach does not need to see them.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clx results, clx success, embarrassing workouts, instructor clothing, self-conscious