Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-21-22, 06:40 PM  
donnamp

Sherry - that sounds positive! I truly do think things will get better.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-22, 06:32 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I couldn't sleep so I got up early and decided to start Summer of Strength after reading Donna's post where she mentioned it. Most of the workouts are 30 minutes or less and more doable for me right now with how busy I am.

I went to the office yesterday and it was such a joke. My company has two offices on the same street and with so many people WFH, they've decided to consolidate and move the people from the other office to where I am. This means I am being kicked out of the cubicle I've had for the past 17 years and will no longer have a designated place to sit. How dumb. Now when I go in once a week, I'll have to search around for an empty spot and sit there for the day. I asked my boss if we can revisit me fully WFH and she will not even discuss it, so I either continue to put up with this or I find another job. Ridiculous...

Donna, Congrats on completing Strong and Centered!! It's good you made it work for you by substituting some workouts. That's probably what we should all do and Jessica even mentions it's ok to do that. Once my meeting is over in a couple of weeks, I'll try to restart S&C. I saw on the other thread in GD someone mentioned Jessica is working on a combo rotation of S&C and L&S. That sounds great! I've been thinking starting with Summer of Strength, then S&C, the S&C/L&S combo, and then doing L&S would be a nice progression.

Pam, Did you go on the hike?

Sherry, It's great that you've been getting in some walking!!

I'm going to do my grocery shopping nice and early before it gets too hot. That's one plus to being up so early, LOL!
Old 07-22-22, 09:14 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Last night I added on:

Essentrics Live Workout from 7/15 - w/ Alexa

Today, so far:

Jenny Ford - Step Across America # 5 - Maine

I plan to officially start Summer of Strength tomorrow - and my plan is to try to squeeze in a Step Across America and a March Across America into the rotation as extra cardio. We'll see how it goes - a lot depends on the contractor's schedule, my dog (my elderly dog wakes me up multiple times a night to go out), etc.

wishiwasinhawaii - that does sound like a good progression. Do you know if Jessica is selling her L&S program right now? I also would like to do WS 3.0 at some point - I have done some - maybe even all - of the workouts through other rotations, but I haven't done the entire program in a rotation.

I really liked S&C - and I'm not a big weights person, I prefer cardio, but this got me to enjoy weight work!

That is also ridiculous about your work situation.

We are still 100% telework, my immediate boss has no desire to return to the office, but we may be forced back if other above him want us back. But for now I will take it.

I have to run an errand at lunch and I think I'm going to wear my mask, I had eased up on mask wearing recently, but it seems this new variant is everywhere.

I suppose I could consider a 2nd booster, but just not sure I want to deal with it - knowing it is going to make me sick for 1 -2 days. I know getting it would probably be worse and I couldn't "schedule" it - but - it just seems like a hassle and I keep hearing about new shots coming in the fall - I mean, how many of these things can we get?

Anyway - rambling!

Happy Friday!!

Donna
Old 07-22-22, 11:45 AM  
Leonana

Today I tried the Total Body Workout from Strong and Centered. I used 1 pound weights, and didn't do the crunches or leg lifts. I did try the last one for a few seconds, it was similar to the Pilates 100. I didn't use the step and only did five pushups each time. I was happy to be able to be able to do most of it, and not much mouth pain afterwards. The more I do, the less pain I have. So that's encouraging. With my kidney issues, it's recommended to exercise, so I really wanted to start again.

Donna, I can see why you like S&C. So far, I like it a lot. I can also see how it can be increased in intensity by using heavier weights.

wishiwasinhawaii, sorry to hear about losing your cubicle. I'm going to do my grocery store shopping now, although it's pretty hot at the moment!
Old 07-23-22, 10:28 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

I've skipped a few workout days this week and both Tues/Thurs hikes were rescheduled for later dates because of the high temps and high humidity. DH and I were out yesterday (running errands) and it averaged 98 degrees with 95 percent humidity plus almost non-existent cloud cover or wind. He had an event to attend today (a re-enactment of the Battle of Bunker Hill) and it's another very hot day....so I'm staying at home and indoors.

My feet have been hurting this week, so I've skipped the treadmill workouts in favor of seated workouts or Kelly's Power Splits Upper Body. I've been enjoying sticking to this particular focus this month.

Sherry, glad you're back to working out and making the workouts "your" workouts. I don't always do a workout the exact way the instructor does anymore and make them work for me and whatever my situation is on any given day. I hardly ever lift anything close to what the instructor is lifting.

wishiwasinhawaii, your boss sounds very unreasonable and stubborn refusing to listen to your repeated requests to WFH. I hope you can find another job that suits you better in every way!

Donna, we haven't gotten our vaccine for the new variant but have intentions of doing so. It just hasn't been a priority, so we should be taking greater care with masking up, also.

Back later to report on today's workout....after I work on my Hawthorne homework.

Stay cool everyone!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 10:39 AM  
Leonana

Unfortunately, I think I have shingles. Most likely caused by the steroids I took for my allergic reaction to my nerve pain drug, it lowers the immune system. I have an appointment with an Urgent Care this morning. I should have gotten that shingles vax a few years back! So far, it isn't too painful or bad yet, but it's only been 24 hours.

I don't think I will be posting much, as I will spend my time recovering from this. I'm looking at it as a temporary set back, and will get back on track soon.

Pam, I will definitely have to make workouts work for me! It is a process.
Old 07-24-22, 07:43 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I can't believe how hot it is. We've been getting to 100 the past couple of days. Crazy! I haven't left the house since Friday morning. We're supposed to get storms tomorrow so that will cool things off the rest of the week.

Today I did day 3 of Summer of Strength. It was a short upper body workout, which is perfect for this weather. I don't have central AC and my window ACs are really struggling to keep it cool in here, so shorter workouts are better right now.

Donna, I didn't get the 2nd booster either. I thought I read somewhere that they are coming out with a vax that targets the variants better so I'm waiting for that. When I went grocery shopping the other day, I wore a mask and was the ONLY person in the store wearing one. I also wore it when I went for a walk at the mall last week and very few others were. I stopped wearing it when I go to the office since there are only a few people there anyway and the risk is low. I have to go to the office tomorrow to move out of my cubicle. It's going to be weird not sitting there anymore after so many years, but I guess this is just one of many changes that have happened since COVID, so just have to roll with it.

Sherry, Oh no, I'm sorry to hear you have shingles. What did the doctor say? I know so many people who have had that recently.

Pam, Thanks! I actually have restarted my job search and have an interview this week. Good thing your hikes were rescheduled. I was going to go out for a walk this morning at 7:30, but it was already too hot, so I didn't. Ugh!
Old 07-24-22, 08:25 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday was a bit of a bust for me workout-wise, I got up late, DD and I did our volunteering at the animal shelter, I wanted to give my dogs a bath, etc. I did end up doing:

Ellen - Cardio Core

Today, so far, I did:

Ellen - Barre Cardio
Ellen - Pilates Stong

Combining those was challenging, of course, it was also hot - we're in the heat wave as well.

Sherry - oh no, I'm sorry about the Shingles. I had it a few years ago - if you catch it early - and get on the anti-virals right away it isn't too bad - at least it wasn't too bad for me. It did make me tired, so I did take some time off from working out. I haven't gotten the Shingles Vax either and I'm not sure if I'm going to - I heard it makes a lot of people sick and I'm not sure I can deal with it. Honestly, some of the reactions I have heard about/read about sounded worse than the case of shingles i had! Anyway - keep us posted.

wishiwasinhawaii - I have not yet started Summer of Strength - I sort of fell off the wagon! I'm waiting to see what my contractor's schedule is and then I'll try to figure out when to start/what to do!

Pam - it is hot here too!! Good idea to take it easy on your feet - and the heat makes it hard to workout vigorously even w/ a/c!

Hope everyone has a nice day!!

Donna
Old 07-24-22, 08:38 AM  
donnamp

Forgot to add that Man Flow Yoga - is offering a special $9 for the Strength Foundations Challenge....it is a 6 week challenge, you get access for 7 weeks and also access, i believe, to the library of workouts.

Donna
Old 07-24-22, 11:27 AM  
Leonana

wishiwasinhawaii, I went to Urgent Care. The PA prescribed the antiviral and I’m doing okay. Not too much pain today, just tired. Although I did pull some weeds in the front yard.

Donna, I think I caught it in time. I started taking the meds about 24 hours after it started. It has made a difference, I had more back pain yesterday.

Tags
tablet