Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-30-21, 08:46 PM  
bfit

Can't psychologically get over losing running and strenuous exercise

I've written here about this problem a couple of times, and I'm sure everyone is tired of it, but almost a year a go now I broke my foot, had some complications and was told I can't run again or do barre or higher impact aerobics and a bunch of other activities. For months I've been walking, using a stationary bike, and going to the pool, and I don't feel like I've had any real exercise at all. For the past 6-8 weeks I was seeing a different PT who told me that he would have me running again, but now he says the most I can ever run is 2 miles, and I still can't do barre or aerobics ever again. I just can't get over feeling disappointed and angry about this. I had my hopes up with the new PT and now I'm back where I started. I can't just keep shopping around until I find someone who tells me what I want to hear. Will it get easier to just adjust to a life with less fitness?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 08:54 PM  
bubbles76

I know the feeling honey. Nearly 20 years ago I was told I couldn't run again, or rollerblade or do high impact due to hip problems and knee problems. Although I have been able to get some high impact in over the years, I think I may now be done with it forever . After many months of anger, I've had to learn to adapt to what I can do. It is a bitter, bitter pill, as running was the absolute best for me! Focus on what you can do, or try to gradually introduce it back into your life if you feel your body can handle it. However, if your body tells you under no circumstances "this ain't it girl" listen.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 08:55 PM  
dnna

It took me a long time to accept my disability and move forward. I had to go to chair workouts but did find some joy in yoga and pilates.Pilates can be as hard as you want to work and there are other programs like Tracy Anderson that can work you hard.I have to work in a chair or on the floor.
believe, I feel for you. I was actually ashamed to be doing the chair workouts. i wanted to scream -I did P90x, I did Cathe's Terminator without stopping!! I do 2 Firms in a row.
You can do it. You can find real exercise programs that you can do without further hurting your foot. you need that foot, trust me.
good luck to you.

donna
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 10:30 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

bfit - You have suffered a loss in your abilities. A big life loss like that is going to cause grief. You have every right to be sad about it for as long as you need.

You are not alone and those on VF will understand more than most everyone else on this planet.

Due to a back injury, I had to give up some fitness activities that I adored. I gave away all my kettlebell DVDs because it made me too sad to see them. The biggest loss for me is my hiking abilities. With a torn meniscus in one knee, a torn labrum in one hip and a vertebral compression fracture - no more big/long hikes for me. That is a big blow as I've loved hiking for decades.

The boring (sensible) advice is to focus on what you can do. There are so many kinds of workouts and so many instructors now.

VF is such a great source of advice and inspiration.

And support.

Jeez, I don't know if my post is of any help. Please know that you aren't alone. Many VFers are dealing with huge challenges right now. We need to keep each other in our prayers. (((HUGS)))

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 10:56 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

{{{HUGS}}} I feel your pain. I've lost so many beloved activities because of RA damage. Like Alta mentioned, it's a form of grieving. I hope you can get to a better emotional place with it.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 11:32 AM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I've written here about this problem a couple of times, and I'm sure everyone is tired of it, but almost a year a go now I broke my foot, had some complications and was told I can't run again or do barre or higher impact aerobics and a bunch of other activities. For months I've been walking, using a stationary bike, and going to the pool, and I don't feel like I've had any real exercise at all. For the past 6-8 weeks I was seeing a different PT who told me that he would have me running again, but now he says the most I can ever run is 2 miles, and I still can't do barre or aerobics ever again. I just can't get over feeling disappointed and angry about this. I had my hopes up with the new PT and now I'm back where I started. I can't just keep shopping around until I find someone who tells me what I want to hear. Will it get easier to just adjust to a life with less fitness?
I'm certainly not tired of hearing about it---I think it is good for you to vent and search out solutions!! I dislocated my knee several years back and it is a terrible sinking feeling when you first have limitations. I didn't really feel better mentally until I found a new groove. Meaning I connected with other forms of exercise that felt like they answered my need for fitness and fun.

You can get in crazy good shape with yoga----power yoga is a vigorous workout that rivals running (in terms of conditioning) when you get serious with it. Kettlebells and TRX are typically very foot friendly while providing significant strength/cardio challenge. Depending on the type of foot injury, rebounding can often let you keep the aerobics but with less impact. If your stationary bike is not challenging you, then you haven't tried the right programs (get thee to Spinervals ). As I recall, Bar method offers barre programs that can be done with modifications/flat foot position.

I did more pilates and mobility work when I was forced to redirect my activity. By the time I was done, I actually ended up having better function and strength than prior to my injury Your new journey might pleasantly surprise you if just get started. There are plenty of ways to get superfit without beating your body to a pulp
Old 07-31-21, 11:40 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I understand. You've lost something you love. I had a similar experience with an ankle injury. I used to love to do step and higher impact aerobics. For almost a year I did nothing except PT and dvds like "Getting Better", etc. I've modified what I do and found something that I love enough to teach.

You'll get there. You need to find a substitute. I took an online yoga class a few weeks ago that was crazy hard and completely out of my league. Keep searching.

Hugs.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 01:14 PM  
Erica H.

Aw, I'm so sorry. I'm right there with you right now with this injury and the realization that it's likely I'll never run again. I've run on and off for my whole life and have been consistently running for 23 years. Being a runner is part of my identity and I can't imagine giving that up - it's a part of me and it's how so many people think of me. Erica = running Running has been one of my biggest sources of accomplishment throughout the years (as well as weight training). It is physically and emotionally painful to think of letting that go and I'm just not ready.

Big hugs to you.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 01:17 PM  
Izzy

When I was 29 I had surgery on both of my knees at the same time. I was told not to run anymore. My knees were a mess. This was in 1986. Running was my therapy. I tried running a few times and just could not ever feel comfortable with it. I was pretty upset being young and told I could not run anymore. Since that surgery I bike and walk and over the years added cardio in other ways. I tried step and that was not making my knees and hips happy so I stopped that. I completely understand how you feel. At a point you will realize there are other means that will fill that void. My older brother used to run marathons. He was told at 35 to stop. So he started biking. At the time they lived in Vermont and he would bike up and down mountains. Then he took up swimming. He still bikes, never runs and swims daily. I had knee replacement 2 years ago and was hoping that will allow me to jog. I was told no. No jumping, no running, no jogging. I still walk and bike.
Old 07-31-21, 01:28 PM  
heathert

Have you tried Elliptigo?

https://www.elliptigo.com/

Many people who have had to give up running feel like they have their lives back with this outside stand up bicycle. You can also buy a stand for indoor use. Very expensive, but health is important. My neighbor has one and says it is like running on air. There are any testimonials on the website.

You can see if there is anyone near you to go for a test ride. Good luck in your recovery.

Heather
heathert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elliptigo, limitations