Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-10-10, 10:34 AM  
TexasMama

Am I a Prude?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm on week 2 of the Lean Phase of CLX. I've never done a full 3 month rotation of anything before, and I'm enjoying these workouts so much, that I'm thinking of doing another CLX rotation after this one is over, with a two week break in between. I'm getting great results for me. I'm feeling stronger, my arms rock, and I lost another two pounds (for a total of seven pounds lost so far), putting me just three measley pounds away from my pre-baby weight! I love the definition, I love the length of the workouts, and I even like Donna (my DH can't believe that woman is 60!). There's just one nagging problem that's been bothering me the whole time I've been doing these workouts: I'm a little bit embarassed to do them in front of my 5-year-old DS. Why? It seems like every time I look up at the screen, there's another gratuitous cleavage shot! I want to roll my eyes every time Chalene asks the camera man to come in for a closeup on someone's form (unless it's Dan or Skip). Yep, he's gonna focus on form, all right.

I'm sure that Beachbody is well aware that sex sells, but they must understand that, while the CLX series would be a great workout for either a man or a woman, the majority of its users will be female. I don't know about other women, but I'm tired of looking at Chalene's rack (besides which, some of Chalene's outfits seem totally impractical for a workout. I mean, if she bends over any further to do a row, something might pop out ). Am I alone in feeling this way?

A pedestrian is a man in danger of his life. A walker is a man in possession of his soul. -- David Mccord
TexasMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 10:43 AM  
alisoncooks

I've not done CLX but I've found that there are many things in workout videos that I find inappropriate for my children to watch. Some of the wordings ("sexy" talk, bikini talk, etc), outfits, movements (um, can someone say pelvic pumping?) I just don't want my 4 year old emulating.

And believe me, she watches and learns when I work out.

ETA: and if I had a son, I would DEFINITELY not feel comfy with all the gratuitous cleavage!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 10:57 AM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

When I first started using videos in 2001, my middle son was 11. I used mostly FIRM workouts. One day at dinner he announced, "external hip rotators get a lot of work!" This is one of the lines that Tracey Long says in one of her workouts. I realized he was paying far more attention to Tracey than I realized! LOL

I don't think you're a prude. Of course, your son (if he watches TV at all) is seeing a lot of gratuitous cleavage shots, and there will be plenty more. At least Chalene is promoting health and wellness. You can work at keeping him out of the room (hard, I know), but I don't think I'd give up on the set if you like it that much.

I got tired of all the fanny slapping in the Lean circuit, and I worry about Chalene popping out of her clothing, too! I don't know why they film them this way.

Gwynn F.
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 11:05 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I haven't seen much of CLX yet (currently liking Turbo Jam a lot, though it's pretty light on the gratuitous shots in the videos I have), but was watching something on Fit TV recently and they had an ad for the Flirty Girl Fitness videos and all I could think was "ew." If people want to take a class on how to spice things up in the bedroom that's fine, but turning it into a workout series that gets advertised when kids of all ages could be watching is inappropriate IMHO.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 11:11 AM  
DEEDEE

I stopped with the Firm for two reasons:

1. The workouts began to all feel the same.
2. Way, WAY too much boobage bubbling out of the bras. I mean come on! I'm watching this to workout. Unless they can grab a weight with their boobs, I don't need the close ups.

There was one TJ where Chalene had boobage spilling out of the side of her bra...that was just so tacky. I'll be honest, no matter how good the workout is or how skilled the instructor is, it's hard for me to take them seriously when they have boobs and butt hanging out all over the place.
DEEDEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 11:11 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

CLX did not bother me. My boys said nothing about those workouts. I sort of cringe with "Get Sexy" and the Shape "Bikini" workouts.

I still like the Michael Carson workout, though. My kids sort of roll their eyes and I say, "Oh yeah, whatever".

P57 bothered me, too. Tonya bugged me, but all the talk about getting into your skinny jeans was too much.

Oh well. Nature of the beast. It sells.

J.
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 11:36 AM  
fagiles

I never had a problem with any of the above concerns and my son seeing it. He is now a young adult but at the time I just popped in the dvd and worked out.

It's no more than what he or I would have seen in the street, beach or heck even at the mall. I have no problem with the Firty Girl ads either..no worse than any other workout that I have seen. I guess stuff like this just doesn't bother me.

felecia
fagiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 02:56 PM  
TexasMama

Well, I'm glad to know I'm not alone. Honestly, I know I can't keep my kids from seeing these things, and it's not that he sees them that bothers me. I'm just used to being able to work out with him around, and I've always been conscious of the message my lifestyle habits send to him. I'm not embarassed to do any other vids in front of him, and,in general, I feel that the overall message he gets in this regard is that I value exercise and fitness and think they're important. I'm proud to be an example of that for him. I just don't want him to misunderstand and think that the reason I'm doing these workouts is because I want to look "hot" or "sexy," or that I think my real value (or any woman's) is defined by her looks. It's not that I think there's something wrong with working out for aesthetic reasons (and to some extent, I care about aesthetics, too). I'm not trying to protect him from the world, per se, I'm just very conscious of the message I'm sending him about what my own values are. So far, I haven't seen any indication that he's even noticed the workouts (he usually doesn't, except for Cathe, who he thinks "does tough boy exercises"). If it weren't for my kids, I probably would have barely noticed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfreund View Post
I got tired of all the fanny slapping in the Lean circuit, and I worry about Chalene popping out of her clothing, too! I don't know why they film them this way.

Gwynn F.
I actually didn't notice the fanny slapping until DH pointed it out to me. It's funny. Chalene mentions somewhere in the series that when she gets together with her friends, they get together to exercise. Do you think they fanny slap instead of high-fiving each other? I guess it's no worse than what baseball players do!

A pedestrian is a man in danger of his life. A walker is a man in possession of his soul. -- David Mccord
TexasMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 03:18 PM  
fitmom24

Barry named 2 different exercises, both focusig on the inner thighs, as Sex On The Beach in his latest set. He goes on to say "Sex on the beach is fun!" after the completion of one set. I immediately took the set back to Target. I can't have my 5, 11, 17 or 19 year old boys listening to that!

I am more modest than most I know but it's right for me and my family.

Michelle
fitmom24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 03:27 PM  
GMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmom24 View Post
Barry named 2 different exercises, both focusig on the inner thighs, as Sex On The Beach in his latest set. He goes on to say "Sex on the beach is fun!" after the completion of one set. I immediately took the set back to Target. I can't have my 5, 11, 17 or 19 year old boys listening to that!

I am more modest than most I know but it's right for me and my family.

Michelle
I'm betting that your 17 and 19 year old boys have heard far worse!
GMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clx results, clx success, embarrassing workouts, instructor clothing, self-conscious