Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-17-21, 05:20 AM  
fanofladyvols

I have checked out Yelp (as one of several sites like Tripadvisor) for restaurants when out of town. I have actually found it helpful for that.

Lately, I see a lot of people use nextdoor for doctor recs.

P.S. the reviews on amazon have definitely gone downhill!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-21, 09:01 AM  
carolyn jane

I reviewed a hair stylist who fried my hair. The owner of the salon contacted Yelp and they took down my review.

Amazon is not great either. It drives me nuts to see a book review with one or two stars. Then when I follow the link, the person is complaining about the book arriving damaged, missing pages, etc. That is not a book review!
carolyn jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-21, 11:40 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!

I've found Yelp to be hit or miss. There are reviews for a local GYN that are spot on. She is OK, but her wait times and office staff are abysmal. Hence, she only has 2 Stars.

One has to read many, many of the reviews, PLUS the "Not Recommended " reviews for the big picture. In one review, I found out that another local GYN has been sanctioned by the Medical Board, but is still practicing. I did research on that and found it to be true. You won't find that tidbit on his website!

It's a medical jungle out there!!!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-21, 11:43 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn jane View Post
I reviewed a hair stylist who fried my hair. The owner of the salon contacted Yelp and they took down my review.
that is good to know - i didn't know Yelp would cave to that. I've seen lots of posts from the business's owner in response to a customer's review, good or bad, and the responses to bad ones were usually "please contact us so that we can discuss" kind of response.

I've written a few reviews on Yelp that were both positive and negative, but i ALWAYS provide evidence for each observation. I've reviewed one of the DMV offices, Massage Envy, a sewing supplies store, an oil spill simulation office, and two different corporate retreat centers. i try to be as descriptive as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn jane View Post
Amazon is not great either. It drives me nuts to see a book review with one or two stars. Then when I follow the link, the person is complaining about the book arriving damaged, missing pages, etc. That is not a book review!
i agree - hello people, that's what feedback of your seller is for and is accessed from your Amazon order module!

i also dislike reviews where they give a 5-word or less review like "it was great." or "i know i will like the recipes in this book" - that's not a review of the recipes!

I also look at the Q&A section of Amazon for a given product. in the reviews for electronic products, I'm amazed to find very detailed reviews, including how to troubleshoot something - not repairs necessarily, but how best to deal with issues other reviewers brought up.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-21, 12:49 AM  
CoolGirlinFl888

I trust them and just submitted one a few minutes ago about a bike shop that helped out my family and was quick with it and very affordable. I trust Yelp more than amazon for sure.
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 05:53 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I take all review sites with a grain of salt, knowing that people can be paid for Yelp reviews and Amazon sellers will offer incentives to upgrade a negative review.

Having said that: I tend to ignore positive reviews and go right to the one-star ones. What I look for is consistency: if a number of people focus on the same problem, I assume it's a real problem (noise in a restaurant, long wait times at a doctor's office, rude receptionist at a salon, whatever).

Tags
healthgrades, nextdoor, reviews, yelp