Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-10-12, 10:48 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I have to thank you guys - this is all very helpful!
So out of curiosity, what kind of assisted pull up station(s) do you use? I'm limited on space and money but am curious.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 07:20 AM  
zippity

I use a doorframe pull up bar with Iron Woody bands-the bands are circular and long enough that I can either put both feet in them for lots of help or just one foot if I'm feeling strong:

Here's a youtube video that shows the pullup band and various ways to use it; it's also a pretty comprehensive demonstration of the various ways to do assisted pull-ups: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFzeL...eature=related

My pull-up bar:
http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Fitnes...9415869&sr=8-1

My pull-up bands; I got all three but mainly use the #3 band (20-80lbs): http://www.amazon.com/CFF-Strength-B...416513&sr=1-31

The best strength workouts for pull-ups that I've found are P90X Back and Legs and STS-IMO, P90X is the best because of the sheer number of pull-ups in the workout.

It can take months of work to get strong enough to do pull-ups; Don't get discouraged, just keep working and you will get there!

Good luck!
Old 06-11-12, 07:27 AM  
marmact

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippity View Post
I use a doorframe pull up bar with Iron Woody bands-the bands are circular and long enough that I can either put both feet in them for lots of help or just one foot if I'm feeling strong
This is what I use, too. I think my pull-up bar was under $10. I bought the Iron Woodys in three sizes (they sold them as a package then, I'm not sure if they still do). The bands offer differing amounts of assistance, so you can drop down to lower assistance as you make strength gains.

Using this setup, I could do all of the pull-ups in P90X with assistance. I could also do a set of pull-ups on my own.

I could never quite get the horizontal pull-ups to work even though I have a Fluidity barre. I'm too long, or something. It was just awkward for me.
marmact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 07:56 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Thanks for the recommendations!
I like the pullup assist bands, and the bar also looks great but unfortunately my doorways don't have molding so I guess I'd look for something I can screw on to the walls or maybe the ceiling. (I've seen something at Perform Better called the Stud Bar but it's close to $200 which is more than I want to spend right now.)
Old 06-11-12, 07:57 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
Using this setup, I could do all of the pull-ups in P90X with assistance. I could also do a set of pull-ups on my own.
That's awesome!
Old 06-11-12, 08:06 AM  
alisoncooks

We have Lifeline's Pullup Revolution... but because we have to take our pullup bar down to close the bathroom door, I often forget to get it all set back up. (ie. they rarely get used.)

But, I have liked them... the times I've used them.
(If anyone's looking for one of these, PM me. DH got them when they were on sale and got a few sets to get free shipping, with the thought of parting out the lot, but they've been just sitting around. At this point, I'd consider trading... )
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 08:21 AM  
cathgpo
VF Supporter

I do what I call supine pull-ups, which is what I think you mean.

I went through your same train of thought. Never going to get to full pull-ups. (I'm sure it's technically possible some day, but...). But I wanted more back work. So I bought Cathe's Turbo Tower for something like $60 on Amazon. It's served me well, and I can break it in to two parts and hide it under the bed if I get tired of it someday. At the time, I considered the Fluidity Bar and some other options, but this was the best choice for me.

cathgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 08:28 AM  
cathgpo
VF Supporter

Here's an old thread about Cathe's tower, with several people commenting on pull-ups.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...ht=Cathe+tower

cathgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 08:42 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Yup, Catherine that's exactly my train of thought! While I realize there are huge advantages to be gained by working on vertical pullups I want to be realistic and practical as well.
ETA - Thanks for the link!
Old 06-11-12, 11:44 AM  
slysam

I hope to be able to do pullups someday. I am timid about putting a bar in my apartment doorway though--not sure whether it can really hold my weight. I have this type of dip bar and do the supine pullups/bodyweight rows, dips, and seated pullups with it among a couple other exercises. I wanted something free standing but that didn't take much space.
http://www.bodyrock.tv/2010/12/22/dip-station/ , this exercise: http://www.bodyrock.tv/2010/12/07/seated-pull-ups/

The one problem is you are limited in the type of pullups as you can't turn your hands in different directions or use different hand placements since you have to hold the handles.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bodyweight exercises, horizontal pull-up, pull ups, pull-ups, pullups