Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-21, 10:14 PM  
cyana

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I must be in a retro mood, because when I saw the title of this post I thought....Jane Fonda? That's the only exercise "record" I can think of
LOL, Bubbles! I still remember the day - WAY back in the dark ages - when my former neighbor called me on the land line (and on a corded phone, no less) and excitedly told me to hurry over to her house so we could work out with her new Jane Fonda album!!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-21, 02:09 AM  
Venus

When I first started exercising, I didn't keep track of workouts. Later, I wished I could see which workouts I was doing then and how long I was working out most days.

A few years ago, I would put together a monthly sheet with a simple chart to log my workouts. At the top, I had the month, year, and focus/rotation for the month (if I had one). The simplest versions had a table with columns for "date", "day" (of the week), completion ("done" column with a checkbox), and "workout". Under "Workout", I would list the workouts if I had a rotation or leave it blank to fill in daily. Other stuff I would add included inspirational quotes, goals for the month, things to try that month (habits or exercise/food related), an image or photo I found motivating, etc. After a while, I noticed I would do fewer workouts if I had a set rotation. If I wanted to do a different workout, I had to cross out the scheduled workout. I didn't like seeing the workouts I "should" be doing crossed out. I would work out more consistently if I filled in the blank every day. If I wanted to do something different or a shorter workout, I didn't feel like I had failed.

These days, I keep track on a single sheet of notebook paper. If I'm consistent, I use a single sheet (front and back) for one month. I find single sheets work best for me, since they take up less space when I stack them. Not fancy, but it has worked better for me than a journal or calendar. I do like the calendar and stars/stickers idea, though!

I list the month, year, and rotation/focus (if I have one that month). I'll write a simple weekly rotation if I want to follow one. For example, last month I did a rotation with The Firm and followed the monthly Yoga with Adriene calendar. My rotation was M/W/F The Firm, T/Th Cardio and Pilates, Sa/Su option to add in an extra workout or catch up if I missed a workout (or do yoga only), along with daily yoga. Following the weekly rotation, I'll skip a space and then list the day and date (for example, M 11/1) followed by my workout(s) and time. I'll add very minimal notes, usually for weights used ("5 lb wts") or modifications ("didn't use chair") or anything else I want to note ("voiceover" or "Rest day- headache"). I used to add a bit more notes, such as if I liked or what I didn't like about the workout, how I felt, a short description. Now I keep it to the minimum. If I do a non-DVD workout (mostly YouTube) and I like it and would do it again, I'll make a little heart next to it. If I really like it, I'll fill in the heart.

On Saturday, my entry looked like this:

Sa 12/4 Firm: Power Half Hour; YWA Yoga for Vertigo 15m, Third Chakra Yoga- Show your gold 39m

This fit on one line. Above the Firm workout, I wrote "5 lb wts" and "Emily Welsh". I like keeping it as brief as possible. I tend to use 1-2 lines per day.

This might be more information than you wanted! It has been interesting to read how others keep track (or not), so I figured I'd share what has worked for me.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-21, 08:44 PM  
gigi

I keep an excel spreadsheet for each month. My columns are labeled:
Date/Day, Planned Workout (and there is not always a plan), Actual Workout, Notes.
Old 12-05-21, 11:41 PM  
aspidistra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
With the new year coming I'm thinking about how to record my workouts. I've just been writing them down in a notebook with no details added. I've also been posting them here once in a while. I'd love to know what others are doing. How much detail do you record? TIA
In my daytimer I write the total minutes and the type of workout. I also record it in my binder where I record weight, food, and exercise type and minutes. I've done this for a few years along with taking daily pictures. I can see at a glance what worked best.
aspidistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-21, 01:29 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana View Post
LOL, Bubbles! I still remember the day - WAY back in the dark ages - when my former neighbor called me on the land line (and on a corded phone, no less) and excitedly told me to hurry over to her house so we could work out with her new Jane Fonda album!!

That is funny! I never thought of that when I posed the question.
Old 12-06-21, 03:20 PM  
desie

I put a month on one page and write down my workout names and how much I was active outside. And I note if I feel sore/pain and whether I slept well. I keep it as a list so that I can peruse it at month end and see if I can learn cause/effect on how I ended up feeling. Originally I had to track workouts to make sure I would do something sweaty every day, but now I also try to understand myself a bit better and learn from any mistakes I made.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 06:56 PM  
AnMrsDe

1) I keep a running tally on "Just the Workouts" check-in, which I love to see at a glance what workouts I did each month.

2) I also keep track in a Pembrook planner from Aldi's:

A) Which workout(s) I did as well as notes about the workout(s), what weights used, how I modified certain exercises, etc.
B) Any yard work/shovel max minutes
C) Daily Meditation minutes
D) How many minutes I work out each month
E) How many days each month each instructor is used, so I have totals for each instructor used throughout the year
F) When I purchased new cross trainer shoes/runners so I know when to purchase again

I enjoy the "old school" way of writing things down. And yes, I have a box full of old planners from past years! I really need to throw them out, I guess!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-21, 05:04 PM  
Dancing Queen

I post my daily workouts in the Just the Workouts check-in with a running total of monthly minutes spent on cardio, strength, and meditation/yoga. At the end of the month, I calculate a daily average for each category.

I have a DayTimer calendar with two pages per month where I do a lot of habit tracking - I put a colored circle on each day I do cardio, strength, and yoga and a sparkly star sticker every day I meditate. I put my daily average for each category on an empty block in the calendar - this way, I can flip through and see general trends and where I might want to focus more attention.

I also have a spreadsheet of all my workouts, with different lines for each premix / workout. I keep a variety of info in the spreadsheet for each workout (time, workout type, intensity level, fun factor, notes). I put the date I do a workout in one column and color-code all the workouts I do that year the same color. (I'll delete the row for any workout or premix that I never want to do again and purge the DVD if there are no keeper sections on it.) At the end of the year, I record how many unique workouts I did that year and then remove all the dates. I can tell roughly how long it's been since I did a workout by the color of the text, so given a choice between two workouts of the same length and type, I'll choose the one I did least recently.

My system seems complicated, but it helps me accomplish my goals - I work out consistently, can easily see if my workout program is unbalanced, reduce boredom by prioritizing workouts I haven't done in a while, and declutter DVDs I no longer enjoy.
Dancing Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-21, 05:34 PM  
imhere2dance

I don't because I just "know" what to do each day. For example, what I've been doing for a long time now is I start every day with a 3 mile Leslie Sansone walk. I do a second workout later. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday is strength - (KCM, Denise Austin and/or Tamilee Webb) followed by 10-20 minutes of abs and a stretch. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday is 30-40 minutes of cardio or fusion (usually Leslie Sansone, Denise Austin or Ellen Barrett) followed by 30 minutes of Pilates. I rotate between a handful of favorites. I'll reach for something different if the mood strikes, but it rarely does.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-21, 05:43 PM  
alisoncooks

I don’t usually keep records, but I’m planning on doing so this coming year. I know I work out, but I don’t have much to show for it, lol. Maybe seeing it on paper will give me a greater sense of accomplishment.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
logging, tracking workouts, workout log, workout logs