Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-22, 02:23 PM  
bfit

Chafed and Burned Skin

I have a ridiculous skin problem that is preventing me from exercising. About 3 weeks ago I chafed the area between my butt cheeks (including the "perianal" area) with a wetsuit that I wore for swimming. It was red like a sunburn. About the time that it started to heal up I got a yeast infection in that area and applied anti yeast medication for about a week that inflamed the chafed skin. Now the yeast infection is gone but the skin in the area where I sit is red and painful. The doctor said I just need to "rest the skin" and not to put anything on it except for Vaseline - not even any soap. There is literally no exercise I can do that does not make my butt hurt. Has anyone else experienced this? And how long does it take to heal? I feel stupid just laying around the house because of sore butt skin.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-22, 03:35 PM  
BunnyHop

What about some sort of zinc oxide cream???
My dad's skin became ever more fragile as he aged, and keeping him slathered down with this stuff helped a lot:

https://www.amazon.com/Sensi-Care-Pr.../dp/B00HG2Q62G

I sort of assume your doctor has advised against any sort of pain relief cream like Lanacane??

I'd reach out to their office to see what sort of relief might be possible in this situation.
Old 02-03-22, 05:01 PM  
alisoncooks

Yikes! That’s sounds painful.

One product that I’ve been using for similar spots is this antimicrobial spray.
https://www.amazon.com/SkinSmart-ANT...1N0O0TV7&psc=1

I found it because of my kiddo with eczema, but it’s useful for lots of things. (I originally looked it up after reading about hypochlorous acid for “mascne”.) Also because I’m allergic Neosporan and was looking for an alternative. I use the spray, followed by Cerave Healing Ointment (which is basically Vaseline).

As for workouts, I recently saved this to my watch list. Maybe it’ll be useful!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XyMvev...Qljsy&index=14
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-22, 07:40 PM  
star117

Hope you heal soon!
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-22, 08:09 PM  
fatkat555

I would not put anything on it. Let it air out, no Vaseline or cream. Air is best (the surgeon I work for recommends just this and BOY can you tell when someone has put something on it).

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-22, 08:37 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

baby's diaper rash cream (white) like Desitin would be my recommendation. it works like a charm.

if not, another diaper rash ointment (transparent yellow-brown color) - Vitamin A&D ointment is another one to use or alternate with the diaper rash cream.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-22, 08:37 PM  
Lori_Michigan

My go-to's are pure aloe and really good quality vitamin E oil. Hope it feels better soon!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-22, 11:27 PM  
Leonana

CeraVe Healing Ointment works well for me. I burned my finger on the knuckle side while cooking. It worked well to heal it quicker and kept the skin moisturized so I could bend the finger easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
I would not put anything on it. Let it air out, no Vaseline or cream. Air is best (the surgeon I work for recommends just this and BOY can you tell when someone has put something on it).
I recently read that they no longer recommend Vaseline for burns, that it needs air. However, I had better healing with the CeraVe ointment. But I did wait a few days first.
Old 02-04-22, 05:22 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
this also works with babies too, however bfit might not be able to go commando all the time. babies get a free pass.

on days Commando is inadvisable, the diaper rash cream is really good and works amazingly quick..

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-22, 08:55 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

I get "adult diaper rash" (for lack of a better term) pretty often, and Calmoseptine works like a charm for me!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chafing