Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-28-21, 01:01 PM  
Gardengirl

Traditional weights and Barre

Anyone mixing Barre3 workouts with traditional weight work? I like both and see advantages of both and am wondering if it makes sense to combine them and how exactly to put together a rotation of some kind.
Old 09-28-21, 03:14 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

I'm almost 55 and although I love lifting heavy, I feel like garbage when I do. If I were to combine Barre3 with something it would probably be something like Tracie Long Metabolic workouts or Zuzka-style workouts. There was a member here who no longer posts, Neatski, who combined Barre3 with Zuzka with great results.

ETA: I found the thread where she talked about her results.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=209711

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.

Last edited by LindaL; 09-28-21 at 03:16 PM. Reason: add link
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-21, 03:25 PM  
alisoncooks

I’ve not been using barre, but I’ve been mixing traditional weights (not super heavy but heavy for me) with Pilates-style floor work. I just really love floor work, especially the side kick series, but I needed to include standing, weighted moves. Plus I also like upper body weights!

I would just call them both strength and then plug them in your normal schedule. If you do strength 3-4x/week, do a couple barre3 and a couple weights days…or do barre3 each time but tack on a short strength to the end of each.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-21, 06:59 PM  
Gardengirl

Thanks, Linda. I will check out that thread.
Allison, I’d like to do 3 days of weights so I guess I could do 2 traditional days and 1 barre3 day and reverse it to 2 barre3 days and I traditional day the next week, and mix in some cardio in between. I might do 2 traditional and 1 barre3 day per week. While I do really like the barre3 workouts I’m feeling even more pear shaped than usual. confused:
Old 09-29-21, 07:31 AM  
buffmama

Depending on how long your weight workouts are you could also do the barre as a warm up or finisher.
Old 09-29-21, 09:03 AM  
prettyinpink

I have done this for a long time. I usually do two heavy weights workouts per week and one more moderate weight. On an upper body day, I often follow with a 30 minute barre3 the same day. Typically I do another Barre3 on a non-lifting day. The other two days, I do different things: an HIIT from a YouTube instructor, a shorter Cathe metabolic mix, a different barre workout, something light to moderate cardio like a walk.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-21, 10:05 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I've been mixing in barre (not Barre3 specifically but other barre workouts) with traditional weights and am loving it. I feel like the barre work targets smaller muscles nothing else does which helps support when working with heavier weights. I'm only doing about one to two barre workouts per week though, so not sure if that's what you're after, though I will say some of my other workouts occasionally include barre elements. My workouts for right now are one upper body weighted workout, one lower body weighted workout, one cardio workout of some sort, one yoga practice or barre/yoga fusion, one metabolic workout, and one barre workout, which I feel is a good balance that hits everything in roughly an hour each day.

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-21, 11:59 AM  
Gardengirl

I like the idea of combining both and I guess it serves a purpose, or at least I hope so lol!

Here's what I'm' thinking . . .

Mon - heavier weights full body (KCM is a favorite and what I was doing)

Tues - barre3 cardio workout (or walking outdoor or treadmill)

Wed - barre3 weight workout

Thurs - treadmill intervals (I walk and run for about 30 mins)

Friday - heavier weights (another KCM)

Sat - outdoor walk/pickleball or barre3 flow

Sun - choose any one from Saturday that I didn't do already

And I could alternate the 2 days of heavy weights to 2 days of barre3 strength and one day heavy weights if I really want to mix it up . . . or confuse myself.
Old 09-29-21, 01:00 PM  
alisoncooks

I think it sounds like a good plan!

On M/W/F, I’ve been doing 30-40 minutes of Kaleigh Cohen strength (full body) + 10-15 minutes of LB floor work from Hannah/Moving Mango (YouTube). It’s amazing how much HARDER that floor work becomes, lol, after 20ish min of weights!

I’m hoping the two styles complement each other, like it was said above. Large muscles and smaller, supportive muscles.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-21, 08:11 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
I've been mixing in barre (not Barre3 specifically but other barre workouts) with traditional weights and am loving it. I feel like the barre work targets smaller muscles nothing else does which helps support when working with heavier weights.
Thanks for bringing up this point Not barre, but along the same lines, I love Tracy Anderson's workouts. They just make me feel good with no dread. But I don't feel her workouts alone will give me the personal results I'm looking for. I think I could add in her original mat workout or the PDS workouts twice a week to help hit the accessory muscles and get that zen feeling, then do the other stuff - MMA, weights, kettlebells, etc. for the remaining workouts for the week.

Tags
barre and weights, barre3, barre3 and weights, curtis adams