Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-21, 12:44 PM  
fanofladyvols

ChelePA LOVE LOVE the update!!

Hope the hubs is doing well, too.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-21, 01:29 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello Fierce Ones!

Chele, sounds like it was a great day yesterday -- and no bathroom doors knocked down in the making?! Your daughter strikes me as a really tough sweetheart, if that makes sense. Oh, and I was wondering if anyone who has daughters and sons could comment if boys are not so shy about their bodies in those years. I certainly was! I think my boys went through maybe a very brief stage of that, but mostly no. I don't know if they are just odd or if boys don't feel it as much. Just curious.

Oh, and Chele, before I forget.... did I tell you it was TrampIt 12 that I did? And I jump in socks. I have a jumpsport with bungees. We have a big trampoline outside and sometimes there I take off my shoes but sometimes I am lazy and leave them on. You are doing great with Annas workouts! I love the notes you give us on them -- thank you.

Kate, nice to "see" you on the drive by! Sorry it's so hectic with you -- sending big hugs. Nice that you're still enjoying your workouts.

kittybug, so does your TV not have a place for an HDMI cable? That's how I do it, but honestly, sometimes I get lazy and just do yoga in the kitchen where I have my laptop. Seems like you ought to be able to figure out something because that's a great deal and you've really been wanting it. Did you see the Twist and Shout workout, or whatever it was? I can send you a link if you need.

Oh, there is definitely dessert left for all of you! It's fun to think of a pre-pandemic everyone come over and bring a spoon and we'll eat the rest out of the pie plate. That'll never happen again, I'm sure. Does anyone really want the recipe? I can post a link or something. It's a NY Times recipe, so can't find it there without a subscription but it's apparently well enough known that I found it somewhere else. Kim, that was so funny about your great grandmother's recipe! That's just how they did it, right? I remember the one time I made them I was worried that a random recipe I found on line wouldn't be as good as I remembered from childhood, but they were.

I do not know why I didn't think to put padding down for those knee squat things! Doh! I usually do when I come across them in other workouts. And ankle weights would be a great addition, kittybug! I wondered if I would be sore this morning but I was not. At all. And honestly, I don't really get DOMs anymore, I've been realizing. I have been intermittent fasting for a long time now, but I've recently made my fasting a bit longer, so don't know if that's it, or..... for the last few weeks I've been doing a ten-ish minute breathing exercise every morning and I wonder if that could be it.

I ended up doing more strength work today, but it wasn't all that tough. I couldn't decide what to do. I almost completely punted on working out -- I was sort of in that mode. I finally decided to do an hour Body Project from youtube that was a combination cardio & strength. When they started repeating blocks I almost Joni O'ed, but decided to stick with it because I didn't know what else to do. It was 39 and raining here this morning, so I was cold and began the workout with my coat on! My coat was off by the time I realized there were repeats and I just didn't want to have to warm up again if I started something new. At any rate, it was lower body blocks 45 seconds of work, 10s rest -- four different moves repeated three times. Then they did cardio 20s work, 10s rest again four moves repeated three times. Then upper body block done the same way, then more cardio, then abs/core done the same way, and finally they did two and a half songs of 20s/10s cardio/rest until the music ended. Honestly all that repetition made it feel kind of long for me when I was doing it, but the cardio at the end was really fun. More detail than anyone wanted, probably!!

So are we doing a Kat step workout for Fun Friday? Right now I feel like I want something guaranteed to be fun. I may have to go rogue. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

And now..... I am off to cut hubby's hair! Happy Thursday, all!
Old 03-11-21, 01:40 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Bee, I think that TV in the room where I practice has the Roku hooked into its only HDMI spot, if I'm not mistaken. I will ask my husband later tonight if that's true or if there's another way. But you know, generally, I find with Travis I can go by his voice alone, usually, as he cues really well, so perhaps I can just go off my laptop alone in that room versus hooking it up to a big screen. Of course, I know ID has other instructors who might not cue as well, so....hmm....things to think about! And yes, I did see that he posted that 'live' class to YouTube for those of us who couldn't do it when he broadcast, yay! It's definitely on my list of 'to-do' practices from him.

I would not object to your recipe as long as I can modify it easily enough for my own weird requirements, hah!!!

PS...I'm not sore from Ingrid either, which is just weird, because I went INTO that workout extremely sore from my other workouts this week and I was definitely feeling the work while doing it.

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-21, 02:54 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Happy Thursday, Watulans!

Wow, I'm so far behind! DH worked for one day then off three more so we've been doing Gum Ball Max in the yard along with pruning for spring. Plus we got our electric bill and it was WAY out of whack and after talking on the phone with the electric company we determined that one of our heat units had a problem that was solved by a $560 fix. And DH's car failed inspection and he had to get a brake job. So both time and $$$ flew out the window this week! The weather has been beautiful and DH and I sat out on our back deck and enjoyed a glass of wine and listened to the birds after the yard work was done. So nice!

Watulans, the molasses cookies were a big success! I couldn't believe how perfect they looked when they came out of the oven. I usually have a few that I put in the Disabled pile but not this time! I doubled the recipe since DH had already said he expected to eat some of them, but it didn't make as much as the recipe said unfortunately. I prefer cookies roughly 3 inches in diameter but so many recipes make 2 inch cookies. DH says that size is "just enough to p$ss him off." So we saved about 6 of them once DH filled a container to mail to my sister. She got them Tuesday and wrote me the sweetest message about how much it meant to her that someone baked for her. She had told me at Christmas that molasses cookies were her favorite and we are at the age when we don't need a whole lot of "things" in our lives so I came up with the idea of making some for her. I've never baked them before and let me tell you, Watulans, the kitchen smelled divine in the process! I googled for a recipe so I'll try to find it again and post the link if anyone wants to try them.

bee, glad the Torte Report was a good one! It sounds delicious!! And I think girls as a rule are more sensitive about their bodies. I know I was as a teenager. Funny now I could care less and am not overly sensitive about it. Not that I have dancing in a cage in my past or anything like SOME of us , but I guess I figure who cares what my old lady body looks like? I'm smiling at the picture of you working out with your coat on but good for you for persevering and finishing what also seems to me to be a long workout!

Chele, we mailed the spin DVD yesterday and it's supposed to get to you on Monday, hopefully in time for your bike's arrival. Great news about your daughter's progress---such a relief I'm sure!! I'm hoping Kat releases a new workout for Fun Friday too. I've been doing a lot of her videos, step-less at this point. I have an old step that starts at 4 inches so I may try one on it to get back into the groove, step wise.

horusosiris and manleym, what did you think of the Cathe Live today? I might do that one this afternoon as I don't have anything else on tap for now.

Kim, your great grandmother's recipe reminds me of my mother teaching me to bake. She did so much by "feel" meaning she knew the texture and feel of the dough and whether more flour was needed. Her oven temperature wasn't that reliable so she had to adapt the temp and time to suit as well. I stick pretty close to recipes now, but I do make adjustments based on what I have on hand. Of course my mother didn't sew using patterns either. I didn't realize patterns existed until I took a sewing class in junior high school!

Nathalie, I also laughed at the bathroom comment. It hadn't occurred to me that it might be a temptation to sample the merchandise at the Dunkin Donuts! But maybe they did and Chele didn't share that with us.

Kate and FOLV, good to "see" you! Garrie, hope all is going well!

FN2, I get being distracted by the great weather! The weekend is supposed to be cold again, but it's sunny and into the 70s for the past few days and I've just wanted to sit on the deck and drink wine. All.day.long.

I've been continuing with 4 x 4 and have done Athlete 1 and 2 this week. I've been doing these at what I'm calling Power of the 2 1/2, doing the advanced version when my leg will allow it, and the intermediate otherwise. The leg is definitely better but not yet 100%. I guess it's a process, but I'm getting impatient to be back to "normal." I have also done several Kat workouts as well and they have been a lot of fun! Oh, and I followed Athlete 1 with the 10 minute Sydney Cummings foam roller stretch recommended by Kim. Thanks so much, Kim! I really liked it and she was great about giving some extra info during the moves. I subscribed to her channel and plan to try some of her other offerings.

I also want to try Growingannannas (or whatever it is--way too many "n"s for me after previewing but think she might be too high impact for me yet. I'm also not sure how I'll like or be able to follow with no verbal cuing. There are plenty of times during workouts that I'm so focused on the movements that I am only listening to cues and not looking at the screen so that might be an issue for me. Guess I'll only find out when I try one! I think I'm going to call these Growing Anna or Anna workouts.

Sorry for the scatterbrained post! I thought of so many comments while I was catching up and tried to remember all of them.

Waves to all! Moby out, for now.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-21, 03:54 PM  
ChelePA

Cataddict.... thanks so much!!! So kind of you! And as we all know I’m a Kataddict. .. so I’m good for any of her step workouts Friday if a new one isn’t released. As for Anna, I have adapted to the beeps with the timer. I find Anna and Caroline really like their burpees with different variations. Anna’s are more doable. At a slower pace, usually less intense and scattered throughout. Her workouts are also much shorter. Usually only 20-30 minutes of work. You can definitely handle her. I’m even dreading burpees less...can’t believe I said that. Haha. I’m also liking the use of body weight. I can tell I’m a little stronger doing push-ups these days. I do miss hearing the instructor, but I like Anna’s music.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-21, 03:57 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
ChelePA LOVE LOVE the update!!

Hope the hubs is doing well, too.
Thank you And his nose looks much better too. Both my patients are recovering well.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-21, 04:44 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
Cataddict.... thanks so much!!! So kind of you! And as we all know I’m a Kataddict. .. so I’m good for any of her step workouts Friday if a new one isn’t released. As for Anna, I have adapted to the beeps with the timer. I find Anna and Caroline really like their burpees with different variations. Anna’s are more doable. At a slower pace, usually less intense and scattered throughout. Her workouts are also much shorter. Usually only 20-30 minutes of work. You can definitely handle her. I’m even dreading burpees less...can’t believe I said that. Haha. I’m also liking the use of body weight. I can tell I’m a little stronger doing push-ups these days. I do miss hearing the instructor, but I like Anna’s music.
Good for you for the burpee love!! I don't really dread them either (well, maybe the one legged burpee ) when my leg is at 100% but now I'm concerned about too much impact on it when I jump into the position. It's much better though. And I've also noticed I'm much stronger doing pushups these days too. I prefer doing them with a little more control (read: slower) so I know my form is right. I think sometimes Cathe races through them too fast for me to get the benefit. I appreciate the encouragement for trying Anna---I also liked the music when I listened to it. I think the music will be crucial when there isn't verbal cuing to distract attention. If her movements are slower, that would work for me in my cautionary stage.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-21, 06:57 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

FN2, I will join you on your lovely patio for a glass of wine!!

Today was Katami I Am Warrior 2. Um, Mr. Katami, I just have to say, AIR JACKS ARE NOT A WARMUP. Not for this old lady, anyway. Goodness I wasn't ready for that but I did them anyway. I really did like this one though as there was SO much core focus and almost every exercise felt like a total body thing, so I'll say that!

I'm considering trying do tweak my rotation so I've got 2 circuit/metabolic type workouts, 2 longer yoga practices, 1 total body weight workout, and 1 intense pure cardio type workout, but we'll see. So many workouts, so little time!!

ChelePA, also glad your husband's nose is doing better!!!

Our weather is getting nicer and nicer...husband bought some bulbs for planting so I know what we're doing this weekend aside from chores and cleaning. Looking forward to starting to assemble our spring patio and spending time outside!

Stay fierce, Watulans! Hope you all are doing well!!

Old 03-11-21, 06:57 PM  
manleym

Hi Everyone!

ChelePA, GREAT NEWS about your daughter! So VERY HAPPY for her and you! I know you are both so pleased! And glad your husband is also on the mend! YAY! And you should change your user name to "Kataddict".

Cataddict, I know your sister loved her cookies - and the thought and effort behind it. Those are the best gifts. And glad they tasted so good! That is CRAZY about your heat unit and husbands car. Those are ALWAYS a shock! And NOT a fun way to spend money. But glad you've gotten both fixed and should be good to go for awhile. Glass of wine is always good, but especially after a long hard day and getting hit with unexpected and unpleasant bills. And I agree that you should try Anna and Caroline, and even Heather. It is different working out with no cues, but the more I get used to it, the better I like it. Once you figure out the move you just go until you hear the beep.

Bee, glad your Torte was good! Maybe not what you expected but tasty. I also cut hubby's hair! Well, I buzz it. He suffers from hair loss (ahem, extremely receding hair line - like hair starts at the crown) so he sets the buzzer and away I go! I've only messed up once. Lemme know what you decide to do for Fun Friday. I also want a guaranteed fun workout.

Kittybug, or Bee, is UDAYA having a spring sale or just ID?

Kim, I have a wooden file box filled with old family recipes. They are the absolute best! So what do you use for lard? Can you still find it? I remember my mom cooking by "feel". I've never been able to do that.

KateTT I think I have done Perfect 30 Hiit premix 9 too and really liked it. Whatever premix I did had all of it - low hiit, high hiit, pyramid hiit, and ext stretch. It started with high hiit, then low hiit, then pyramid, then stretch.

Horusosiris, did you do Cathe's Live workout today? Cataddict, I really liked it. I thought it was a nice mix of cardio & weights - some isolation, some compound, and I like using a band. I thought it worked well with Paul's 4x4 workouts.

Yay for all of ya'll rocking Ingrid's workouts this week! I do remember those kneeling squats being hard on the knees. Good idea to put extra padding under the knees. Are you doing them again next week or moving on?

Yesterday's workout was Katami 4x4 I Am Warrior 2. It was a great workout, but I have to say that I didn’t really care for the air jacks as part of warm-up. I think I mainly did jacks or light air jacks since I didn't feel warmed up enough for a full on air jack. The cardio is definitely harder than the other workouts - snowboards, air jacks, burpees. I finished with DD cool down. Today I tried a new yoga YT instructor - Kaylie Daniels. I did her 60 min. Strength & Cardio Vinyasa and it was HARD! Or at least if felt hard to me.
It was a great workout and I do like her, but not as much others yoga instructors. But definitely worth trying and a nice change of pace. Then I did Cathe Live #338 Total Body Mashup, which I really liked.

So what Kat workout are ya'll thinking of doing tomorrow? Please post for those of us (me) who can't remember.

Hugs and waves everyone!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-21, 07:03 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Manleym, we must have posted at the same time (see my comment on the air jacks, hah!)!!

Thank you SO MUCH for the Kaylie recommendation. I've added her to my to-do list. Sigh. So many workouts....so little time....

Still haven't decided on Kat tomorrow but am leaning towards her most recent Hip-Hop upload....just don't know. I too want guaranteed FUN. I need it after this week!

Tags
watulan check-in