Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-19, 11:42 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Do any of your friends or family work out regularly?

My DH was a gym rat when we met and he still works out almost every day. Currently, he is doing Diamond Dallas Page's DDP Yoga. Our mutual love of fitness is a nice thing to have in common.

I have a few relatives that work out at home or in the gym. My SIL owns horses, so taking care of them counts as an almost all-day workout!

I have some dear friends that I wish would take more of an interest in physical fitness. They are the same age as I am, yet are in very poor physical condition. The ravages of time seem to hit the less fit with more cruelty.

How about you? Do many of your friends and loved ones work out?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 12:06 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

My mom is an avid and disciplined exerciser. I don't remember a time in my life when she didn't work out and I'm very near 60. She is still going strong and can outdo me in some areas.

I wish I was more dedicated but I'm hit or miss, mostly miss. It seems that every time I begin to incorporate working out into my routine life throws me another curve ball and I slack off. It doesn't help that I have a cruddy job with an erratic schedule.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 12:12 PM  
Donatella
VF Supporter

My husband works out at a power lifting gym four days per week, and he is very supportive of my workout time, hundreds of DVD's, etc. None of my other family members or friends work out; they think I am insane for what I do. I know they think this, because they tell me so.
Donatella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 12:13 PM  
alisoncooks

DH likes/enjoys kettlebells, but he's not consistent and hadn't managed to get back in the habit since he finished his cancer treatments. (This January makes 5 years cancer free, but his maintenance chemo went longer...) He prefers paper Pavel to any videos.

My mom does Piyo classes a couple times a week, when they're offered at her rec center (which isn't always). She also has a treadmill (and a Jane Adams yoga DVD, courtesy of yours truly).

Other than that, mostly I know runners/cyclists and a few folks who go to the gym for classes.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 12:15 PM  
Gams

My 87 year old mother goes to the health club almost daily. My dad used to exercise but he has his hands full now taking care of my wicked stepmother. My older sister does strength training workouts and her husband swims every day. Then they also take their dog for walks every day. My best friend is an occasional exerciser - she takes classes at the rec center when something sounds interesting. I have a couple former co-workers who are very serious about exercise. Overall, though, I probably know more people who don’t exercise than ones who do. After seeing the above post, though I would add that I know a couple serious cyclists. My stepbrother bikes all over the world.

Last edited by Gams; 09-10-19 at 12:17 PM. Reason: To add add’l information
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 12:25 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

None of my friends or family work out regularly or even sporadically. No one. My DH is a regular couch potato but oddly enough he's always been very supportive of my fitness habit and every time I work out he asks me what workout I did and how was it. I always give him details even though I know he can't possibly remember all the workouts I have - or really care. He always encourages me to try new programs and/or instructors but he doesn't exercise himself. Yeah, I tried to encourage him but after 20+ years of marriage I know a losing battle when I come upon it.

I have a workout room set up on the ground floor and most of the time visitors to my house have to pass by it when they enter the house. When I show them my fully-equipped home gym, I mostly get blank stares or looks of incredulity and incomprehension. Whatever.....as long as I'm happy, who cares.
Old 09-10-19, 12:36 PM  
Mickey12

Most people in my family and circle of friends DO NOT exercise. I have a brother-in-law who hits the gym most mornings and I can get my husband to walk with me, but other than that, not many people I know do regular, consistent exercise. I wish it wasn't the case so I would have more people to talk fitness with.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 12:43 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Except for my beloved grand niece, who is in yoga teacher training, I'm the only worker outer in my family. My son doesn't do formal "workouts" but he is an avid backpacker and hiker which keeps him healthy and in shape.

Alas my husband, who needs to workout, does not. He aggravates me so much because he has my whole library of pain relieving yoga, qigong and Pilates at his disposal and he refuses touch any of it. He used to be good about at least walking at the gym but he won't do that anymore either.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 12:47 PM  
Demeris

My sister does yoga several times a week. I have a very dear friend who just turned 70, and she works out at a gym three to four times a week and runs on the days she doesn't work out. My father was a copper miner and had a hard physical job his entire life. Up until a few months ago he kept a garden, which was hard physical labor every single day.

One of my oldest friendships is with a woman who is a swimmer. She does master's swimming four to seven times a week. She also takes long, fast walks several times a week.

But most of the people I know are couch potatoes.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 12:52 PM  
Erica H.

DH walks with me every day. Other than that, he doesn't work out but he's naturally active while I'm a couch potato when I'm not exercising.

Three of my four kids exercise regularly - both formal exercise and for fun. One of my sons lifts weights, swims, cycles, runs, hikes, and plays volleyball, racquetball, disc golf, soccer, etc. We tease him that he has to quit his job to make time for all of his activities.

Many of my friends exercise.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family, physical fitness