Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-19, 07:55 AM  
Hsim

How did you gain strength to complete advanced workouts

Hi All, I have to confess that I have some DVDs that I can't finish because they are too advanced for me. Like Horizontal Conditioning Volume #1 and some of Michelle Dozois stuff. I can do some of the moves but not enough to finish the workout or do all the reps or even catch all the moves sometimes.
So I'm trying to work on a plan to build up strength gradually so I can complete the workouts. I'd love to hear what others have done. Please tell us your success stories!
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 09:56 AM  
wendug

I had great success gaining strength by doing a Chalean Extreme rotation. All the SLOW reps in the push phase really made me focus on the muscle and push myself! It really helped me with pushups on my toes, too. I was pleasantly surprised at the workouts I could complete after finishing my rotation that previously were too difficult for me. I had to buy heavier dumbbells after finishing this set. I plan on doing another rotation of this later this year to see if I can gain more strength!
Old 09-07-19, 10:00 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

suggestion

do a paper rotation and go heavy and slow. If you get to 5 your on the right path. It's a slow process. No I have not done this but heard this is the way to make muscle gains. I liked Cathe but she is too fast or me. compound movements. Set a timer and a rest period and keep the circuit moving.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 10:36 AM  
prettyinpink

Horizontal Conditioning had some DVDs that were slightly easier to help build your way up. Maybe you could find one of them used.

But another option is just to do half of it one day and half the next time. Or just do as many reps as you can each time and build your way up that way. That is what I do with harder workouts when I have had to take a break due to illness.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 01:28 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

In working on this too, because my strength is not where I want it to be. I have been going through a lot of my collection lately to find what works, and I'm finding that met-con type workouts DO NOT work for me in accomplishing this goal. Combining strength and cardio may be more efficient for some, but it doesn't help me achieve my goals very well, at least not right now. By separating them out, I'm hoping to achieve the fitness I need in order to go back to these workouts because a lot of instructors/workouts that I enjoy tend to combine them.

For what it's worth, I've been seeing really good strength gains from using the WWE Power Series with Triple H. I just use one segment each day. I work 2 jobs, one of which requires a lot of physical activity, and I can tell a big difference in the ease with which I can lift and carry things in that job depending on how consistent I've been with using that DVD, especially upper body related movements. The workouts on that DVD are short enough for me to add on whatever cardio I feel like doing.

I'm thinking about trying out a 3 week Shift Shop rotation on Beachbody on Demand, since the cardio and strength workouts are separated out, and they get progressively harder each week. After that, if I feel I've progressed in my strength and cardio enough, I think I'm going to do a Tapout XT rotation
Old 09-07-19, 07:58 PM  
pgun3

great question...even when I was in shape when I was younger I could never do a full push up. what is up with that!!
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 08:10 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
Horizontal Conditioning had some DVDs that were slightly easier to help build your way up. Maybe you could find one of them used.

But another option is just to do half of it one day and half the next time. Or just do as many reps as you can each time and build your way up that way. That is what I do with harder workouts when I have had to take a break due to illness.
I definitely second these recommendations. If you are working to build up to a specific workout, I would say to only commit to 10 minutes or half the DVD and then build up on your progress.

Or to find the easier workouts from a certain instructor you are trying (like HoCo, etc.) and work up from there. Most instructors have at least some easier workouts for their method thrown in to their collection.
Old 09-07-19, 08:15 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgun3 View Post
great question...even when I was in shape when I was younger I could never do a full push up. what is up with that!!
It's all about modifying (and somewhat about body weight). IMHO, push-ups on the knees aren't very helpful. Start with full push-ups on the wall then gradually work down to a chair, then maybe a step and finally the floor.

Also, since you are lifting about 80% of your total weight in a push up pose, body weight can make a difference. I really notice the difference in difficulty with just a 5 lb weight gain.
Old 09-07-19, 08:17 PM  
pgun3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
It's all about modifying (and somewhat about body weight). IMHO, push-ups on the knees aren't very helpful. Start with full push-ups on the wall then gradually work down to a chair, then maybe a step and finally the floor.

Also, since you are lifting about 80% of your total weight in a push up pose, body weight can make a difference. I really notice the difference in difficulty with just a 5 lb weight gain.
back in the day I didn't weigh as much as I do now. But that is a great suggestion for push ups. I will give that a try!
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 08:43 PM  
Garrie A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post

Yes! Push-ups are also all about core strength. Doing them on your knees does nothing for the core. Try to just hold a plank position when you have the urge to drop to your knees.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Cathe STS 2.0

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
push up progressions, push ups, pushups, strength gains, strength training