Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-13-21, 05:13 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hi all!

On Wednesday and Friday gym days I did the elliptical, "elliptibike", stair climber and walking. Thursday I had planned a Caroline weight workout but You Tube was acting goofy so I ended up doing Cathe's Pyramid Upper Body (without the core part) followed by Cathe's Pyramid Lower Body (without the floor work). That was quite enough. I was happy to note that I was able to up my weight a bit over Cathe's for some of the work and matched her on that deadly bicep sequence. I know I had to drop down a bit in that segment the last time I did it, so yay me!

In other news, one of the shelters in a neighboring cities has a critical overflow of animals and we plan to adopt another cat. We originally thought that we **might** be able to bring one of the ferals inside, but over the past few weeks we've noticed that he is still pretty darn skittish and might freak out if we brought him inside for good. We know he's been neutered (he's got a notched ear) and we will continue to feed and care for him like the family we had fixed and have cared for since kitten hood. If something changes, we'll see, but so far the new guy outside seems to have adjusted and fit in with the family. Anyway DH has picked one out online, and we have an appointment to visit the shelter on Monday to see him and hopefully take him home. I've really missed having multiple cat companions to love (maybe it's empty litter box syndrome?), and our one remaining guy seems at loose ends sometimes since he really is a sociable guy. More to follow!

Chele, good to see you post. I'm sure it's seemed like years since your accident and I can't imagine how tough it's been. Post when you are up to it, but when you aren't, please know that you are still in our thoughts and prayers.

bee, I'm sorry you had a reaction to the vaccine! Ugh! Our idea of a Christmas movie is Bad Santa, which we watch every year.

Kim, we usually stay home and do our own thing on Thanksgiving since we are vegetarian and don't eat turkey. This year my sister invited us to visit her and we are mulling it over. I'm not sure that she remembers that we don't eat turkey and we are hesitant to put her in an awkward spot and make her feel she has to do something extra for us. Between that and our potential new family member (see above) we're not sure this is the best time for us to go. That said, we haven't seen her or her kids in years so I would really like to spend some time with them. Not sure what we will do at this point. And yes, UGH on the cleaning part to get ready for company--definitely some stress there.

BabyW, what are some of your favorite Christmas movies? We tend not to be overly sentimental, so some of the oldies seem a little over the top mushy to us. That said, we still like It's a Wonderful Life.

horusosiris, please share your thoughts about CL #370. I have it on my list to do one day next week. I haven't seen Jingle Jangle either so we will have to look for it.

FN1, sounds like you are busy, busy, busy but staying fiercely Watulan! Glad you checked in. Hope things settle down for you soon.

Waves and hugs to Kate, Nathalie, manleym and FOLV!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-21, 05:25 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post

In other news, one of the shelters in a neighboring cities has a critical overflow of animals and we plan to adopt another cat. We originally thought that we **might** be able to bring one of the ferals inside, but over the past few weeks we've noticed that he is still pretty darn skittish and might freak out if we brought him inside for good. We know he's been neutered (he's got a notched ear) and we will continue to feed and care for him like the family we had fixed and have cared for since kitten hood. If something changes, we'll see, but so far the new guy outside seems to have adjusted and fit in with the family. Anyway DH has picked one out online, and we have an appointment to visit the shelter on Monday to see him and hopefully take him home. I've really missed having multiple cat companions to love (maybe it's empty litter box syndrome?), and our one remaining guy seems at loose ends sometimes since he really is a sociable guy. More to follow!
OMG, empty litter box syndrome made me laugh so hard because it's so brilliant! Sorry, drive-by post (I'm so stressed busy and drowning that I want to cry, seriously) to say YOU MUST SHARE PICS when your new family member adopts you, please!!! How wonderful, I'm so thrilled for you!

PS...Bad Santa is one of my favorite holiday movies too!

Oh, and wow, we were invited to a friend's house for Tday but for the exact same reasons you listed FN2 (not wanting someone to feel like they had to go out of their way to accommodate me and what I don't eat) we agreed to meet up with them separately at a different time/place instead. I might have to email you to swap more recipes, hah hah!! I don't envy the guest-level cleaning, Kim, I just don't!!

Bee, I hope you're feeling better!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-21, 05:36 PM  
manleym

Hi Everybody!

Cataddict I like Caroline's workouts for the same reason as you. It challenges me in a different way than Cathe. And she has a variety of moves, or at least it seems she does. I haven't seen her use any barbells, only dumbbells. I find the STS vs Epic very interesting too. Keep us posted if you run across anyone comparing them. Thanks for the info. about CD. I've only done one of her workouts. It was a live virtual workout, so that threw me off since she was "talking" to the virtual class. I'll have to try a different workout. I think the one I did was stretch/pilates based. It wasn't super intense and I remember being on the floor.

ChelePA, so glad you posted! You're making such wonderful progress, even though I know it must feel so very slow. Yay to transitioning to the cane! It's amazing the things they have now for PT. I'm guessing you'll eventually be moving to water PT? Don't know, but that's not weight bearing, which is why I thought of it.

Kittybug sorry things are so crazy. Glad you're enjoying XTrain and it being different and new since STS. Hang in there, FN1.

VVFer glad you posted! BIG hugs to you!!! My regular Christmas movie is Elf. We don't typically watch that many Christmas movies and it's usually the week of. Same with Christmas music. I think Cataddict mentioned that it loses it's "specialness" since movies/music start so early. I agree. A couple of weeks is good for me.

Bee, sorry to hear about your bad reaction to the flu shot. My SIL has heart issues and sometimes her heart gets racing so fast she has to go to the ER. I'm sure it's a panic feeling. I hope you're feeling better today.

Kim yay on your new dvds! I pre-ordered KCM's new ones as a Christmas gift from someone. Probably my in-laws. We are going to Florida for Thanksgiving to spend it with DH's family. One of his brothers is getting married (again - 3rd time's a charm, or I'm not going to anymore). We are actually travelling for Christmas too. We've never traveled for both holidays, but I HAVE to get out to see my grandnephew. CANNOT WAIT!! All I want for Christmas is to meet my grandnephew!!

FOLV thinking of you as we're sitting here watching Tennessee vs. Georgia. Won't be as bad as the Florida vs Samford game. What. Happened. There?????? NOT good!!!

I'm going to post my workouts separately so I don't lose anything.

Hugs and waves all!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-21, 06:02 PM  
Mickey12

Just had to comment on Cataddict’s post about adopting a cat. Such happy news! please keep us updated! I’m especially curious about what you will name him since you have always named your cats such unusual names.
Old 11-13-21, 06:05 PM  
manleym

Workouts:

Monday - KCM's Cardio Blast Plyometrics. Wasn't what I had planned but worked late and wanted a quick cardio. Since I've done Cathe's Perfect 30 High Impact Hiit I didn't want to do that again, but wanted a "Hiit". The music was great and I loved that there were no burpees snowboards. And it's slower paced than Cathe's so I was able to really focus on form and go deeper into the moves. It's easy to make all reps high impact or add some jumping, when I wanted.

Tuesday - Caroline Girvan's Day 34 of EPIC 1 Hour Full Body Workout with Dumbbells & Bodyweight. Another tough one from Caroline! I did get tired of the bulgarian to 1 leg push up, even though it's a GREAT move because it works strength and balance. Caroline starts on the step (she uses a chair), does into a lunge, then swings the leg around and do a push-up while keeping the leg in the air. Then the leg comes back in front of the step back into the lunge. Rinse and repeat. There were alot of push-up variations, so the wrists got alot of work. I've decided to skip Caroline's cool-downs since she doesn't preview the move or tell how long to hold the stretch. I found Studio Jibby 5 Min Full Body Cool Down Stretches Post- Workout For Flexibility, which is a really good and thorough stretch.
Wednesday - Happy Hips & Happy Heart Yoga Class - Five Parks Yoga, which I LOVED! It felt great after Caroline's workout the day before. I had hoped to do a quick add-on but didn't have time.

Thursday - CL #370 Chiseled Upper Body Blast. I thought this seemed metabolic since there was cardio and some of the moves were fast. It was good and I like having the option of an UB/cardio workout. Doesn't seem like there are alot of them out there. Since this was a shorter workout and I didn't have time to add on to the yoga workout from Wednesday, I also did #147 Quick Fix Cardio and it was TOUGH! I had to take breaks, which I've noticed recently with other workouts. I'm not sure if I'm losing some cardio capacity or doing moves I haven't done in awhile, but there have been several workouts I've done recently that were harder than they "should" be.

Friday - Caroline's Day 39 of EPIC No Jumping Full Body Workout with Dumbbells Trisets. This was a GREAT workout! It starts with core, then moves to UB, and finished with LB. She had some nice variations of moves, like using dumbbells during the bear crawl. And there was great variety - some moves were metabolic so I had to use lighter weights. Other moves were slower, strength moves so I used heavier weights. I added on Fitness Blenders Fast 5 Minute Cool Down and Stretching Workout for Busy People. I remember the days when they were about the only ones offering workouts on YT. They were definitely one of the firsts.

Saturday - CL #20 Kickbox & Barre - LOVED! Maybe a new fav! This was a great cardio workout (30 min) with some barre at the end (18 min). Nice combo of KB and barre. Don't see too many workouts that combine KB and barre.

Tomorrow will either be a rest day or yoga/stretch.

That's it for now! Back later!
Old 11-13-21, 06:12 PM  
manleym

Somehow missed Cataddict adopting a cat. Must have been reading too fast. That is great news! I think you should name him Walter.
Old 11-13-21, 07:53 PM  
Mickey12

Cataddict you’re a rock star for matching and/or going heavier than Cathe! Yay to you for sure.

One of my favorite Christmas movies is the original Miracle on 34th Street. I love the magical quality of it and I love the era, old hairstyles, clothes and architecture. Elf has become a new favorite too, again for the magical quality and innocence. I also really enjoy the classic cartoon shows like Charlie Brown, Grinch and Rudolph. They definitely bring me right back to my childhood.

Manley, how do you remember so much detail in your workouts when you don’t post every day about them? Do you make notes after you’ve done them? I can barely recall specifics of the workout I just did! LOL!

Good for you for getting to see your new grandnephew! I know you’ll enjoy it. Oh, and why did you mention Walter for Cataddict’s new addition? That was my father’s name. It’s also the name of my hair stylist.

Tonight I picked Cathe’s Lean Legs and Abs. It clocked in at 48 minutes and it felt just right. I used the new boss loops for the floor work and yowza they are harder than the old fire walker loops!
Old 11-14-21, 12:14 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
Cataddict you’re a rock star for matching and/or going heavier than Cathe! Yay to you for sure.

One of my favorite Christmas movies is the original Miracle on 34th Street. I love the magical quality of it and I love the era, old hairstyles, clothes and architecture. Elf has become a new favorite too, again for the magical quality and innocence. I also really enjoy the classic cartoon shows like Charlie Brown, Grinch and Rudolph. They definitely bring me right back to my childhood.

Manley, how do you remember so much detail in your workouts when you don’t post every day about them? Do you make notes after you’ve done them? I can barely recall specifics of the workout I just did! LOL!

Good for you for getting to see your new grandnephew! I know you’ll enjoy it. Oh, and why did you mention Walter for Cataddict’s new addition? That was my father’s name. It’s also the name of my hair stylist.

Tonight I picked Cathe’s Lean Legs and Abs. It clocked in at 48 minutes and it felt just right. I used the new boss loops for the floor work and yowza they are harder than the old fire walker loops!

Kim…we like the same Christmas movies. It’s a Wonderful Life is my husband’s favorite.

Cataddict…exciting news! Keep us posted.

VVfer…glad you are still taking care of yourself with so much stress. Hugs.

Kittybug …you sound crazy busy but never miss a workout. So awesome and good for your health.

Horusosirus….a new class sounds intriguing. Would love details.

Bee…are your boys coming home for Thanksgiving?

Manleym…Caroline is tough. Can’t imagine lifting heavier.

FOLV…so awesome you attended the road trip. If I ever recover enough that is a goal of mine. In person would be so much fun!

So despite all our caution, my daughter tested positive for Covid. Started off with a bad headache. Her friends had colds and supposedly it wasn’t Covid. She then sounded stuffy the next day. My husband and she were supposed to visit his mom whose health is declining. I said we better get her tested and much to our surprise she has it. Fingers crossed it stays mild for her and my husband and I don’t get it. He went for a test today since it’s been over five days. I canceled therapy for the week.

I’ve been doing 20-30 minute low impact or beginner cycling classes, some chair cardio recently and stretching.

Stay safe and healthy!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-21, 03:23 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hi All! cataddict, I also missed the post about adopting a cat -- how fun! Can't wait to hear more.

Chele, so sorry to hear about your daughter testing positive! How's she feeling and how is everyone else? I have a friend who works at Stanford in a microbiology lab studying covid (among other things). She really believe none of us will avoid getting it forever -- it's a matter of time, and hopefully the vaccine and the medicines they're working on will help us have milder symptoms. Not sure if that helps at all.....

manleym, I also wondered about you remembering workouts so well and I figure you must take notes. And, I appreciate it because many of those notes I cut and paste into my files on workouts. Great info!

Yesterday I did day 1 of that free Eoin yoga and it felt good at the time, but a couple of hours later I was SO sore in my problem area. I was volunteering at the school for craft fair set up and oh man I thought I wasn't going to make it. So today I just did my PT exercises. I really hope I can figure out how to get back to regular workouts. But I did cancel udaya today -- it was set to renew next week and there's just no way I can be doing yoga right now. Sound familiar, kittybug? How's your pain doing?

Have to go help hubby -- he has some energy around getting rid of big things. Have to strike while the iron is hot but more talk on Christmas shows later....
Old 11-15-21, 03:53 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Yesterday I did day 1 of that free Eoin yoga and it felt good at the time, but a couple of hours later I was SO sore in my problem area. I was volunteering at the school for craft fair set up and oh man I thought I wasn't going to make it. So today I just did my PT exercises. I really hope I can figure out how to get back to regular workouts. But I did cancel udaya today -- it was set to renew next week and there's just no way I can be doing yoga right now. Sound familiar, kittybug? How's your pain doing?
Holy moly, YES, terribly (unfortunately) familiar to a T!! I'm so sorry you're dealing with that too. I don't get it...seriously, like, heavy weights do not bother me but yoga does???? How does this make sense? I did Fit Split Boxing Bootcamp plus Legs and Glutes yesterday, matching Cathe's weight on everything and felt great, zero pain (I mean, apart from those dang endless reps of elevated pulse lunges at the end there, hah). I'm very picky and choosy with what yoga I will and will not attempt right now and am usually finding barre more helpful instead. I think I'll probably cancel ID when the time comes too, unfortunately. But yeah, that pain setting in hours later thing...what is UP with that??

ChelePA, how are you feeling? How is your daughter and husband?? I hope all is well.

I'm eagerly waiting on the cat report from FN2.

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watulan check-in