Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-21, 05:24 PM  
DCW

My pharmacy always pushed the grape flavored stuff which is horrid to me. Everytime I wanted the lime.

I had the new prep and I prefer the old because as much as it is, it's over and done. Waking up at some wee hour morning to finish the 2nd portion was not for me. Mentally doing the old prep was ok drink this much and it's another five years before I do it again.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-21, 05:36 PM  
Hazel Porter

It's nearly impossible to answer your question, because every doctor has their own preferred regimen. I have had 5 or 6 colonoscopies since before I turned 40 (family history) and the prep has been different every single time.

That said, the last time (January 2020) required two doses and much less liquid than I've ever had previously. The only pain (aside from not being able to eat the day before) was having to get up at 4 a.m. to take the second dose (and then wait for it to take effect -- you can't just go back to sleep).

Having watched my father die a slow and painful death from colon cancer, I would say any prep beats that.
Old 10-27-21, 06:58 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I had my first colonoscopy about 15 years ago, so that was the original prep. Unfortunately, the "twilight" anesthesia used for a colonoscopy is delivered in soybean oil, and I am allergic to soy. So I had to have the full general anesthesia. I just remember the horrible prep, the dehydration, and then being sick for weeks from the full anesthesia. I put off getting my next colonoscopy because of all that; luckily I qualified for the cologuard test which I happily used.
I also qualified for Colorguard and was very happy about that!
Old 10-28-21, 01:53 PM  
Ann1964

I puke every single time I have to drink that disgusting stuff
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-21, 06:44 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I think it's awful no matter what you do. You have to empty out one way or another. I found that eating light colored popsicles helped. Gave me something to chew on, Also Ensure and some of those drinks now come in a clear version.

I have digestive issues, but the scope showed nothing.
Old 10-28-21, 06:51 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I think it's awful no matter what you do. You have to empty out one way or another. I found that eating light colored popsicles helped. Gave me something to chew on, Also Ensure and some of those drinks now come in a clear version.

I have digestive issues, but the scope showed nothing.
My DH liked those lemon italian ices for his preps.

My doctor highly recommended Boost Breeze but it was so expensive that I figured I'd just do without it. I did have long preps - sometimes up to 3 1/2 days!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-21, 09:01 PM  
BunnyHop

There seems to be a good bit of variety in what's advised.

The prep I've had twice was a combo of Miralax and Gatorade, followed the next morning by two saline enemas if you felt you needed it.

In terms of drinking the prep, I found it much more palatable if I mixed and refrigerated it ahead of time so it was very, very cold. That seemed to kill the flavor a bit.
Old 10-28-21, 11:01 PM  
momofcha

Oh my, every where I turn colonoscopies have come up. Someone mentioned it yesterday morning and it got me thinking I really need to go for mine (I’m 51). Last night my husband’smom’s best friend just found out she has stage 4 colon cancer. My son today in the car asked about them and now this. If these aren’t all signs for me to get it I don’t know what is. I called and made an appointment for a consultation on Dec 2.

Im already dreading the prep.
What is this cologuard?

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-21, 11:29 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
...What is this cologuard?
It's an FDA approved stool-DNA screening test.

I got it with my doctor's help during the years I simply wasn't able to schedule a colonoscopy.
Old 10-29-21, 04:43 PM  
bfit

I am the OP. Thanks everyone for your replies. It was interesting to see the variety of experiences. For me the worst part was the taste (really gross) plus the fact that it did not work right away so I was up all night in the bathroom before having to leave early for an 8 AM procedure. All is well though.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colonoscopy, colonoscopy prep