Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-21, 01:13 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Protect Your Privacy

I recently came across a data collection website called publicdatausa.com, that has a lot of information about people, including name, birthday, present and past addresses, phone numbers, motor vehicle records, voting records, home purchase records, career information, and more. I was shocked at how much information this website collected on everyone.

I strongly urge everyone to search yourself on publicdatausa.com, go to the top where it says contact, click on opt out, and get the information removed. This website comes up in Google searches, so literally anyone can search your name to find out a lot about you.

Tell everyone you know to do the same.

Other sites to check are nuwber.com, intelius.com. radaris.com, spokeo.com, and whitepages.com.

You can opt out of all of these data collection sites.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-21, 01:41 PM  
Leonana

Thanks! I opted out of Public Data USA and will check the rest.
Old 09-26-21, 02:00 PM  
Erica H.

Thank you!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-21, 03:57 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

When you go to opt out of publicdatausa.com, they require you to give them your email address and ask for your phone number. Wouldn't that just give them more private information?
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-21, 04:15 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
When you go to opt out of publicdatausa.com, they require you to give them your email address and ask for your phone number. Wouldn't that just give them more private information?
I thought the same thing and stopped before I completed the process. It doesn't let you proceed to opting out without providing those things.
According to their site, though, I don't seem to have existed for the past 3 years. Every listing under my name has my age as 39 and I'm now 42 and none of the info is my current info.

But I do appreciate the listing of these sites and the heads up!
Old 09-26-21, 05:04 PM  
gigi

Quote:
I searched for myself and didn't find anything. I was going to opt out as well, but did not want to give them my information to do so.
Old 09-26-21, 07:12 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Wow! Not happy about that. Some misinformation, but lots of accurate info. I'm opting out. They have all my info anyway. Thanks, Abbe.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-21, 07:55 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
I put in my email address I use for sites like that, not my personal email. And I used an old phone number I no longer have.
Old 09-26-21, 08:35 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I put in my email address I use for sites like that, not my personal email. And I used an old phone number I no longer have.
Good idea! Thanks.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-21, 12:53 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I gave an old email address that I never use, and an old phone number.

It’s better to give them that as opposed to anyone being able to Google you and find out all that info about you. It's really appalling that voter registration and DMV info is public. There needs to be better laws to protect people. People who have been stalked, have been found, burglarized or killed, through bad people being able to get information through the DMV.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
credit cards, debit cards, hacks, online privacy, privacy