Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-21, 09:20 AM  
Gams

How much time do you spend working on balance?

Cardio and strength seem to be the main focus of exercise programs but I want to make sure I have good balance, too. It’s pretty good right now - I want to keep it that way. I’m more aware of it these days because I’m always hearing about people who have fallen. My mom’s best friend just fell in her driveway - luckily she didn’t get hurt. My stepmom has fallen a lot, too, and Dad has to call the fire department to come get her off the floor.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 09:47 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I spend a lot of time working on balance in my Essentrics classes. I have a chronically ruptured ATF ligament in my ankle and years ago was in PT to strengthen and work on balance. I teach daily and always include balance training in my classes.

Most of the people who have taken my classes appreciate the extra balance training. I have an older gentleman who has taken my live and virtual classes...he is in his 70's and has so much more freedom in movement day to day.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 10:01 AM  
rhbrand

Some. Probably not as much as I should to he honest.
I was blessed with a very good sense of balance but I also want to maintain it as I get older.
Old 09-12-21, 10:32 AM  
prettyinpink

I don’t really think about taking time specifically, but I do a fair amount of unilateral work that involves balance.

Falls can be weird. Good balance can help prevent certain kinds of falls, but not others. We have to be more careful with our environment as we get older, too.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 10:34 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I spend a lot of time working on balance in my Essentrics classes. I have a chronically ruptured ATF ligament in my ankle and years ago was in PT to strengthen and work on balance. I teach daily and always include balance training in my classes.

Most of the people who have taken my classes appreciate the extra balance training. I have an older gentleman who has taken my live and virtual classes...he is in his 70's and has so much more freedom in movement day to day.
And I work on my balance in Jackie's classes 3-4 times a week.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 11:34 AM  
Leonana

I've improved my balance a lot doing Jessica Smith workouts over the years. I started working out with her when I was about 54, and I'm now 61. So many times I've tripped on something with one foot, but always catch myself before falling.

I had my daughter at 41, so would take her to the roller skating rink when I was in my 50's. I remember trying to roller skate, and realized I could no longer do it, I didn't have the balance. After six months of working out with Jessica, we went again to the rink. I found I could roller skate as well as when I was younger, I had my balance back. I've been a big believer in balance exercises ever since.

I had just assumed that you could improve balance with most strength workouts. I hadn't thought of doing specific workouts for balance, although I know an instructor might incorporate more balance moves in one workout than another.
Old 09-12-21, 12:17 PM  
DCW

I use Essentrics for my balance workouts. Usually five days a week. I also aim not to sit down to put on pants and socks.

In the past, I took two hard falls and then figured out it was my depth perception with progressive lens. No one told me about that issue with progressive lens.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 12:24 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
I was blessed with a very good sense of balance but I also want to maintain it as I get older.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
I use Essentrics for my balance workouts. Usually five days a week. I also aim not to sit down to put on pants and socks.
From what I have read, balance reflexes start to decline rapidly after age 30 unless you practice. Use it or lose it.

The gentleman I mentioned upthread...he told me he can now put on pants and socks without sitting down. He can get in and out of the shower without worrying about falling. I think he is 74 now.

And, my dh, who is a year older than me (he's 55) has to sit down to put on his socks, pants, shoes.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 01:20 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Not enough! I've really noticed a decrease in my balance skills in the last 6 months or so. Silver&Fit on YouTube posts several new flexibility and balance workouts each week.

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 01:45 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I'm another one who needs to do more balance work. Not sure how to fit it in.

Tags
balance, balance work, silver and fit